Namco Bandai President Says Sony PS3 Spring Start `Impossible'

Reznor007 said:
He was referring to HDMI, not SPDIF. HDMI has tons of bandwidth for lossless multichannel PCM, but SPDIF does not.

The fiber optical connection used by the toslink cable have enough bandwidth to support uncompressed audio , it is not used only because it don't have a secure copy protection sistem like firewire.

How's that? You are not getting hires multichannel audio over SPDIF. Most DVD-A's that I've seen are in the 4Mbit+ range, almost triple what SPDIF can do.

Pr bullshit, an optical cable have enough bandwidth, like i said.

And 1.5Mb/sec. is the full dts data rate , i doubt one would approve an audio standard that use 100% the bandwidth of a cable due to a possible loss of signal.

Sonic Focus on his site have a receiver that use the same toslink optical connection and support uncompressed audio :

3. What is the difference between ADAT and S/PDIF?
While ADAT Optical uses the same TOSLINK optical connectors that are a standard for S/PDIF interfacing, ADAT uses a different format which allows up to 8 channels of uncompressed 24-bit audio at a 48kHz sampling rate, or 4 channels of 24-bit uncompressed audio at a 96kHz sampling rate. S/PDIF is limited to 2 channels at either of these rates.

5. What kind of connectors does ADAT use?
A Standard TOSLINK optical connector is used. Unlike S/PDIF, there is no option for a coaxial connection using an RCA jack.

http://www.sonicfocus.com/lightdrive/

Not trying to be off topic...but what you are saying is impossible.

ha ha ha it's possible and alredy implemented in the Adat audio standard that i linked.

EDIT-my question about what format it shows up makes complete sense because even raw PCM will show up as "PCM Digital" or "PCM xxKHz" on nearly all receivers.

no it does not , it tell you nothing about the incoming signal , it only accept a raw pcm stream if it's not it simply don't work.

If you want to talk about this pm me.

Last edited by a moderator:
So all this time you haven't been talking about SPDIF at all...no wonder. ADAT is a completely different standard meaning it's not SPDIF. It may use the same cable, but the SPDIF standard itself is bandwidth limited.

For what it's worth, ADAT is limited too. 4 channels of 96KHz 24bit is less than DVD-A's 6 channels of 96KHz 24bit(or 192KHz 24bit stereo). So in order for you to use ADAT for DVD-A surround you have to limit the sample rate to 48KHz.

And "ha ha"-ing because I don't know what a Tascam is doesn't really make sense. I asked what model...you never answered. Tascam makes tons of products.

PS, and it was Alesis(the amp company) that made ADAT, not Sonic Focus.

Reznor007 said:
So all this time you haven't been talking about SPDIF at all...no wonder.

I said in the other post : "It's not a technical limit, it's just a standard"

I always talked about the technology used in the s/pdif connection to have the technical capabilities to output uncompressed multichannel audio even if the standard does not implement it.

Just like the HDMI 1.1 could output DTS hd and dolby Hd but does not.

ADAT is a completely different standard meaning it's not SPDIF. It may use the same cable, but the SPDIF standard itself is bandwidth limited.

It use the same connector, the same cable, and feature 8 channel of 48khz uncompressed audio.

No shit here, if the s/pdif cable or the connector would not have enough bandwidth they would never be able to do this.

Like i said, it's not a tecnical limit of this technology

Last edited by a moderator:
fearsomepirate said:
Maybe this OT, but I don't see why the studios are getting so hot and bothered about being able to make a perfect copy. As I understand it, the vast majority of pirated music and video is transferred over the net via torrents, Kazaa, IRC, and what have you. This material is almost never ultimate super-ueber quality, what with the bandwidth necessary to download multiple a 4-9 GB movies in a short amount of time isn't available to most people. Do these studio execs honestly think that not being able to rip a perfect 1080p video file with sound quality going into the range where perceived improvement is pretty much a placebo effect will really stop anyone?

You bring up a very good point! It is very similar to what I'm seeing on the satellite radio front. The RIAA is so up their butts to protect their "properties" from unsanctioned recording, when the reality is the very quality of music tracks they are piping through SR is utterly pathetic, in the first place. How they can even imagine that recording such material can count as "lost revenue" is beyond the pale. Literally, we're talking about 40 Kb/s streamed audio with soundstage nearly squeezed to mono, treble rolling off significantly by 6 kHz and then brickwalling at 11 kHz, dynamics crushed to 2 dB or so, and riddled with data compression artifacts, and they are actually worried about people pirating the $hit?!

Suffice to say, rational thought amongst those who publish/distribute media properties are absolutely an oxymoron. I really mean that- not just exaggerating.

mckmas8808 said:
Okay I quit!! Sony is not releasing the PS3 this spring. I'm now on the "it's coming out in Fall" category.
Hmmm...I'm disappointed! If YOU give up, who's left?

Oh well, they never said which country, did they? So I'm happy if they launched downunder first, and still claim their "Spring" launch! Sounds good to me!:)

They will launch it ASAP in Japan. If it misses Spring, you can bet they will launch in the Summer as soon as its ready. They will not skip a season because it is traditionally slow sales for the videogame industry. People will kill each to get one of these things in Japan, regardless of when it is launched. The earlier they start production, the faster they ramp up production and cut costs while doing so. If they plan on getting it out in NA (and Europe?) before year end, they will have to go this route. There is no other option.

ROG27 said:
They will launch it ASAP in Japan. If it misses Spring, you can bet they will launch in the Summer as soon as its ready. They will not skip a season because it is traditionally slow sales for the videogame industry. People will kill each to get one of these things in Japan, regardless of when it is launched. The earlier they start production, the faster they ramp up production and cut costs while doing so. If they plan on getting it out in NA (and Europe?) before year end, they will have to go this route. There is no other option.

Agreed. I think its actually beneficial to launch this thing in a historically slow season. Get the hardcore their units then, and when the industry picks up later, sell to mainstream.

expletive said:
Agreed. I think its actually beneficial to launch this thing in a historically slow season. Get the hardcore their units then, and when the industry picks up later, sell to mainstream.

I've never understood these "traditions" within the industry. They have to be stopped. Most of the time, they end up being poor business decisions.

Unless, and that would be a revolution and not very likely at this point in time, they won't launch first in Japan.

It's not like all those people will start buying 360's if that should happen.

Isn't Stringer from the UK? ;)

British born, dual nationality. Oxford university educated, served in Vietnam. I don't expect any preference outside of business decisions ;)

wco81 said:
If it's really the Holiday season (as opposed to fall) could there be changes in specs afoot? Or just waiting to push down manufacturing costs?

Specs change? I can't imagine for the CPU as IBM is already producing chips...

Maybe a little bit more speed for the GPU?

As consumers, we can only hope we get something out of the delay. RSX is suppose to be done so there's little hope there too.

Maybe a lower price than we would have paid for a launch several months before.

Can't be Blu-Ray because the AACS issues are done and both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are on track for release by this summer.

Why do people think that a delay on the order of 3-6 months should mean spec changes? There's as much of a chance of specs changing negatively (things being dropped to get production going) as there is positive spec changes.

The assumption should be that specs aren't moving anywhere...not that we have and finalized / official specs to begin with...

Back