Namco Bandai President Says Sony PS3 Spring Start `Impossible'

bRoNx said:
Failing that, we can always go looking for that guy that got himself fired by SONY for blabbering off on the net. Surely he's got some info on this! :cool:
Oh yeah! I heard about him, didn't he post that stuff on these forums? Why didn't he make another account instead?

nintenho said:
Oh yeah! I heard about him, didn't he post that stuff on these forums? Why didn't he make another account instead?

Heh, the genius posted the whole thing on his personal blog, complete with full name and company he worked for... :LOL:
People then picked it up from there and posted it in internet forums.

bRoNx said:
Failing that, we can always go looking for that guy that got himself fired by SONY for blabbering off on the net. Surely he's got some info on this! :cool:

Yeah. He told me PS3 is not launching in the Spring, I'm pretty sure.

Josh 1, Sony 0.

Heh, the genius posted the whole thing on his personal blog, complete with full name and company he worked for...
People then picked it up from there and posted it in internet forums.

I wonder if MS would have fired him if the situation were reversed?

Probably not, that's my guess.

Xbot360 said:

Why would u think that? Braking NDA and basically bad mouthing the company someone works for on the net is kinda bad...

london-boy said:
Why would u think that? Braking NDA and basically bad mouthing the company someone works for on the net is kinda bad...

AFAIK there wasn't any NDA breaking involved.

The bad mouthing is another thing though...

Thanks NANOTEC, that sure cleared some things for me, but it also raised some more questionsabout the transfer of lossless audio.
No lossless through coaxial or optical, only through multichannel analog and/or HDMI v1.3. Of course SONY could release some kind of HDMI v1.3 box attachment, but I doubt it because the whole copy protection pipeline needs to be secure and sticking a HDMI box to PS3 with some ductape isn't gonna cut it.
I'm not sure I understood this part right, but if the lossless audio can be transferred via 6 analog cables (for 5.1), what prevents Sony selling an "Advanced HD audio adapter" that would connect to the "Multi AV" port and feature 6 RCA ports for analog lossless audio.
A bit like the xbox and their solution to the missing Toslink port in the 'box itself.

So, it's not the copyprotection issue and that everything must go through one secure connector? The analog signal can't be copied without sacrificing in quality anyway, so I guess that's why you are able to transfer the sound analogically if you have no HDMI.

Even if the PS3 had fully lossless audio compatible HDMI, how many receivers are there that can take that signal and output it as lossless audio? Many receivers do already have HDMI, but how many have HDMI1.3 that is required?

I wouldn't be surprised if the PS3 indeed will be a stripped down when it comes to full audio capabilities, that it would only be able to output the current Dolby Digital and DTS but not the lossless variants.

I guess it'd save them in the costs too, making the PS3 cheaper to manufacture.
On the other hand, when I think of it, it'd be a bit stupid of them to leave this feature out if it's only because of the HDMI1.3 and just some month(s) before they could put it in. In that case I rather let them delay and wait.

Nesh said:
Exactly....YOU are going to be playing.

Hell I dont even have the cash to spend games for my PS2.Let alone to spend for a brand new 360 and games :p

I hope PS3 ends up being 1000% better than 360 so you would eat your hat out for making fan of us :mrgreen:

You didn't read my post. I'll buy a ps3 too, when it launches...... (in the fall). Till then I'll see you on GRAW.

I never understood loyalty to a multinational billion dollar corporation or believing a an unoffficial rumor launch window that has no possibilty of happening with playable games. Give it up, the spring launch was a marketing tool desinged to scare a diehards away from the 360. Your following a string like a kitten.

london-boy said:

Why would he think that? His username says it all.

Xbot360 said:

I am not sure what you mean by "reverse", but there was this guy who MS gave the boot a couple of years ago because his blog revealed MS was buying Macs (Xbox2 kits). It think it goes in the same category.

nintenho said:
Honestly though, there isn't a single reason to release in spring. First off, game sales slow down around summer since people go to movies instead. Also, what the hell is the occasion....

Well its not like people go to the movies everyday watching 4+ hour movies during summer right?

Pozer said:
You didn't read my post. I'll buy a ps3 too, when it launches...... (in the fall). Till then I'll see you on GRAW.

I never understood loyalty to a multinational billion dollar corporation or believing a an unoffficial rumor launch window that has no possibilty of happening with playable games. Give it up, the spring launch was a marketing tool desinged to scare a diehards away from the 360. Your following a string like a kitten.
No its just that I dont have the money to buy both.Especially on launch price.So what do I do?I wait for both to be released have a price drop and see which one is best at the end.If the Sony fucks up with the PS3 I ll go for the 360
Simple really

rabidrabbit said:
Obviously no, but will the Samsung player also be delayed because of the same things you expect PS3 to be delayed?
Will you still be able to transfer the lossless formats to your AV receiver via S/PDIF?

Yes, you can.

You can alredy transfer via s/pidif uncompressed multichannel audio and pcm uncompressed audio need more bandwidth than DTS-HD and dolby hd that are compressed audio format.

The only thing you have need is a receiver capable to decode the new digital stream format.

Last edited by a moderator:
NANOTECH said:
No lossless through coaxial or optical, only through multichannel analog and/or HDMI v1.3. Of course SONY could release some kind of HDMI v1.3 box attachment, but I doubt it because the whole copy protection pipeline needs to be secure and sticking a HDMI box to PS3 with some ductape isn't gonna cut it.

I may have misunderstood, but why wouldn't it be lossless through coaxial or optical out?

NANOTEC said:

The PS3 could do what other early players HD-DVD players are doing, which is convert native True DD and DTS HD to 'lossless' digital PCM (DVD-Audio) and then output that signal over HDMI 1.1 or 1.2. This is surely (imo) the lesser of 2 evils, when the alternative is analog outs.

rabidrabbit said:
I'm not sure I understood this part right, but if the lossless audio can be transferred via 6 analog cables (for 5.1), what prevents Sony selling an "Advanced HD audio adapter" that would connect to the "Multi AV" port and feature 6 RCA ports for analog lossless audio.
A bit like the xbox and their solution to the missing Toslink port in the 'box itself.

So, it's not the copyprotection issue and that everything must go through one secure connector? The analog signal can't be copied without sacrificing in quality anyway, so I guess that's why you are able to transfer the sound analogically if you have no HDMI.

Even if the PS3 had fully lossless audio compatible HDMI, how many receivers are there that can take that signal and output it as lossless audio? Many receivers do already have HDMI, but how many have HDMI1.3 that is required?

The main reason you can't use the newer formats over SPDIF is there isn't enough bandwidth on a single optical cable/coax cable at the speed SPDIF operates at. With HDMI, receivers don't have to natively support DolbyHD and other new stuff, because the player can decode it into raw multichannel PCM, which would be passed over HDMI to the receiver, so the receiver could support any format without actually natively supporting it.

Phil said:
I may have misunderstood, but why wouldn't it be lossless through coaxial or optical out?

Neither of those transports have the bandwidth for digital hi-res multichannel audio. They pretty much max out at traditional DTS compressed audio (max around 1.5Mb/s).

EDIT:And to add on NANOTEC's point later, they arent content protected.

RabisRabbit said:

Theres nothing from 'stopping' them doing this really, other than the fact that the player will be obsolete relative to players with HDMI 1.3 within a year. No 'serious' audiophile will accept a player that decodes the signal internally (especially when that player is a console which has likely cut costs on DACs, etc) when there are players available that will send it digitally over HDMI.

Now that might not make a difference for the market of the PS3, but i'm sure Sony wants to avoid the perceptiopn of the PS3 being a 'watered down' or 'poor man's' BR player. (or maybe they dont?)

Also, Sony may need to updgrade the DACs in the PS3 to output analog, they may ahve already planned for 2 ch but not 5.1. This could a little to the cost.

Reznor007 said:
The main reason you can't use the newer formats over SPDIF is there isn't enough bandwidth on a single optical cable/coax cable at the speed SPDIF operates at.

That's not true, i have a dvd audio player and a compatible receiver and i can play dvd audio disks featuring uncompressed multichannel audio via s/pidif without any problem.

supervegeta said:
Yes, you can.

You can alredy transfer via s/pidif uncompressed multichannel audio from a dvd audio disk and pcm uncompressed audio need more bandwidth than DTS-HD and dolby hd that are compressed audio format.

Says who?

Because the studios don't allow it. That's why you cannot listen to multichannel SACD using optical/coaxial. The studios don't want you to be able to make perfect copies like you can with CDA.

supervegeta said:
That's not true, i have a dvd audio player and a compatible receiver and i can play dvd audio disks featuring uncompressed multichannel audio via s/pidif without any problem.

The only reciever that I'm aware of that can do that is from Denon and they use their own proprietary digital connection.

supervegeta said:

Youre playing either the 2-channel only portion (DTS 96/24), or your playing the regular DD portion. Most DVD-Audio discs have a regular old DD track to provide compatbility for people who dont have a DVD-Audio player, but want 5.1 channel music.

Back