MS teaming up with ATI for the next xbox?

KnightBreed said:
Backward compatibility isn't a concern.

Why not?

Also, anyone know what the chances of Xbox 2 being backward compatible with Xbox will be? As I understand, Xbox exposes the hardware more than a PC typically does. If Xbox games are coded more to the XGPU and XCPU than to DX, then won't that cause problems when trying to run these games on Xbox 2?

Qroach said:
Cyber,

and why dont you have a nice tall glass of shut the @#$% up
I never bitched about the Xbox, Quincey Poon is the only one bitching(and then of course, you coming along like his little gimp to back him up not even aware of whats being discussed, do you guys shower together too?), all I said was, seems likely(and being the new ATI Chipset is amazing, that is a GOOD THING!!

get off your friggen high horse, you have to argue EVERYTHING that doesnt go right along with your rosey image of the world.

Funny, how the world is only "rosey" in Nintendo land. Comments like this are why you need to grow up a little. Or atleast play more games instead of bickering.

yea, I need to, I believe it was you lashing out at me for quoting a recent Reuters article, while you spout off something you read way back when.
I wasnt flaming, and you try to turn even a civil conversation into one, yes, I did lash out, but, you asked for it, ass..

and yes, things are only Rosey in Nintendo land, being they are actually making money and selling consoles overseas, guess thats more rosie than the billions of dollars of loss MS is taking... sure..

I don't see Nintendo going with Hitachi and I hope not because this is the same company that designed the Sega Saturn Gpu and it was to hard to develope for, causing a lot of problems for them and developers and you know what happend to Sega.

Right but ease of development is not always a big factor in some cases. Look what happened to PS2.

Besides, Hitachi Designed the SH4 for Dreamcast and the cost/performance ratio was really good for the time.

http://segatech.com/technical/cpu/index.html

Read the "Why Sega went with the Hitachi SH4"

I wasnt flaming, and you try to turn even a civil conversation into one, yes, I did lash out, but, you asked for it, ass..

Uh -huh. You do the same thing in EVERY xbox related thread. You don't even own an Xbox yet you take such an interest in it I see... and your interest is purely transparent. the conversation was civil before you arrived and will be civil when you leave.

and yes, things are only Rosey in Nintendo land, being they are actually making money and selling consoles overseas, guess thats more rosie than the billions of dollars of loss MS is taking... sure..

For one thing, you shouldnt concern yourself with stuff like that. play game ON your console instead of worrying if the company is making enough money compared to others. If you really think nintendo has made billions of dollars on Gamecube, you really don't have a clue. Have a look at nintendo stock sometime.

Anyway, back to topic, I think backwards compatability is a MAJOR concern with MS moving forwards. It makes perfect sense for you to purchases a new console and be able to play games from the previous console. It's a very big selling point...

I think it's stupid speculating on Xbox2 at this point in time. Wayyyy too early, and the tech's going to be far beyond anything that's out right now - why would they put a Radeon 9700 in something that's going to be out in 2+ years time?

I think backwards compatability was a very good move for Sony with the PS2, because it allowed them to launch the PS2 without any software for the first year.

However, I'm not sure backwards compatability is all that important for consoles in general. Especially not at the expense of system price/performance or time-to-market.

There is one compatability issue that's new to the Xbox-to-Xbox2 transition, or the PS2-to-PS3 transition: MMORPGs.

MMORPGs will want to keep their users paying the monthly subscription fees as they transfer from one generation of console to the next. But they could do this by porting the game, rather than by having the new generation be backwards compatable. I'm not sure how thrilled people would be about having to pay twice for the same game. Maybe they can minimize the complaints by offering a subscription fee rebate for users who upgrade.

Qroach said:

Uh -huh. You do the same thing in EVERY xbox related thread. You don't even own an Xbox yet you take such an interest in it I see... and your interest is purely transparent. the conversation was civil before you arrived and will be civil when you leave.

For one thing, you shouldnt concern yourself with stuff like that. play game ON your console instead of worrying if the company is making enough money compared to others. If you really think nintendo has made billions of dollars on Gamecube, you really don't have a clue. Have a look at nintendo stock sometime.

tell me, what does owning a console have to do with discussing whats going on in the world? you need to lose the attitude, your acting like a putz, I was nicely talking about an article, that obviously only two people in this thread bothered to read(obviously you not being one of them), you have a serious chip on your shoulder, and you need to take care of your personal problems elsewhere, I dont like you either, but Unless your barefaced spouting off BS(which is often enough), I tend to leave it at that..

and Nintendos Stock dropping a small bit with Yen Fluactions has nothing to do with Nintendo's money making ability there hoss, maybe when you read Nintendo flaming news, you should read it from Reuters or CNN, and not Isuckonbillgatesballs.com

tell me, what does owning a console have to do with discussing whats going on in the world?

That's just the thing, you don't care what's going on in the "gaming world", you don't care about games for that matter, you're too busy trolling. You only care about what going on in the nintendo world (and that's fine) but you don't ned to go around posting BS in every xbox thread. Other people don't have an interest in xbox, and you don't see them trolling in every xbox thread.

you need to lose the attitude, your acting like a putz, I was nicely talking about an article,

You don't "nicely" talk about anything but nintendo. If anyone around here needs and attitude adjustment it yourself. Just look who's throwing the majority of names/insults around in this thread and this forum "putz".

you have a serious chip on your shoulder, and you need to take care of your personal problems elsewhere, I dont like you either, but Unless your barefaced spouting off BS(which is often enough), I tend to leave it at that..

Riiight, I'm the one that spouts off BS around here. :rolleyes: I'm not suprised how you'd forget about all the BS you've mentioned over and over again without even checking something for simple information. Stop acting like an ass please.

and Nintendos Stock dropping a small bit with Yen Fluactionshas nothing to do with Nintendo's money making ability there hoss

Obviously you don't look at the entire picture. Nintendo dropper their projections. That means they are now expecting to sell less than they oringinally expected. So Nitnendo stock didn't ONLY drop due to a weak yen. Either way none of this matters to people actually interested in playing games they like. Obviously you're not a gamer and you'd rather argue and troll then just enjoy the games. For all I care, you can go back under you're bridge. I'd rather talk to people around here that have a more level head. i may argue with Teasy (a lot), but at least I can respect the guy.

maybe when you read Nintendo flaming news, you should read it from Reuters or CNN, and not Isuckonbillgatesballs.com

:LOL: this is why people just usually ignore your posts. It's also why we need a user filter or something along those lines.

MMORPGs will want to keep their users paying the monthly subscription fees as they transfer from one generation of console to the next. But they could do this by porting the game, rather than by having the new generation be backwards compatable. I'm not sure how thrilled people would be about having to pay twice for the same game. Maybe they can minimize the complaints by offering a subscription fee rebate for users who upgrade.

Very good point! i didn't even consider this before. Yet another reason why having backwards compatability is something very important moving forwards. The longer or more console people can run a single MMORPG the better off the developers/publishers are...

I would really like to see that some of what you are paying for in the machine would translate over to any other fee you might have OR at least offer some free time online with the sale of each unit.

As for backwards compatability my concerns are in the overall price of the unit. I would rather see the money invested but forth into turning out a much better systems (better developers/technology). I really don't want to end up with another shlock system like the PS2.

Qroach said:
Very good point! i didn't even consider this before. Yet another reason why having backwards compatability is something very important moving forwards. The longer or more console people can run a single MMORPG the better off the developers/publishers are...

Yes, excellent point. Score one for duffer :)

Also, it's becoing the status-quo thanks to Sony's usage of it. Whoever said it was totally correct, it's a great way to "cover" your ass to some extent during the early adoption period as high quality 5th and higher generation games on the former system are being released.

Besides, Sony's *probobly* doing it with by combining the EE & GS on IBM's liecensed 0.10um SOI process and using it as an IOP or similar controller, I can hardly see MS conceiding parity and not matching this feature.

Backwards compatibility shouldnt be all that hard, as long as MS sticks with NVIDIA. This is assuming that they dont do something wacky next gen like 'distributed procesdsing' ;)

zurich

I think the PS2 kind of established a de facto standard for backwards compatability. That's to say, that I think all gamers this gen (save Ns) expect to be able ot play their current games on PS3 and Xbox2. I know I do ;)

zurich

zurich said:
I think the PS2 kind of established a de facto standard for backwards compatability. That's to say, that I think all gamers this gen (save Ns) expect to be able ot play their current games on PS3 and Xbox2. I know I do ;)

I think even Nintendo's next gen console will be backwards compatible. They did it with the GBA so why shouldn't they do the same with the "NGC 2"? Now that they've switched to optical storage media too (finally) I don't see any problems there.
Speaking of it: Yes, despite all the rumours floating around, I believe Nintendo will make at least another console - if they wanted to exit the hardware-business, they should have done this after the N64.

Quincy, Noone did any flaming until you opened your @#$%ING mouth..
show me where I was trolling, and I mean BEFORE you pissed me off....
you cant do it, because I wasnt, now STFU and move on with your pathetic little life.

Back