What If MS never released Original Generation XBox? *spawn^2*

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by vipa899, Dec 18, 2018.

1. vipa899

Regular Newcomer

Agree, though what would have happened if MS never released the OG xbox, would it be free to play online on PS4 now? MS sped things up sure, but i have a hard time believing it wouldnt have went this way.
    As for exclusives MS with halo, but Sony with MGS2, GTA3 etc, although those were timed deals. God of war, jak etc where not.
    For me also the reason if i have to choose between PS or XB, but i wonder if devs/publishers would sell more copies if games where ported or launched on other platforms too. It sure didnt impact RDR2, GTAV negatively? Not in sales but not quality either, as RDR2 is up there with sony AAA titles if not the best looking of all.

Hope its not going to happen but it seems to future, everything as a service. Maybe sony can do something like apple, create high-end hardware at premium prices and sell millions of units anyway?

Yes i know B3D is 90% sony but i want MS to succeed too, atleast do better for next gen. They seem to have gotten their hands on more studios so perhaps more and better titles there in the future.

AzBat, BRiT and AlBran like this.
  2. goonergaz

Veteran

Oh yeah, there's always been exclusives, I just meant MS started making it something 'bigger', they then started having the timed DLC exclusives for X360. Not sure Sony would be charging is MS weren't getting away with it...why would they? TBH, if exclusives died I'd have no reason to own an Xbox.

egoless and vipa899 like this.
  3. AlBran

AlBran Just Monika
    Moderator Legend

This is getting very off-topic. :neutral:

Recouping some overhead costs via an additional stream of revenue is probably a good thing for a sustainable business. Bills and salaries have to be paid for on-going service updates and maintenance while the hardware itself is a huge risk if it's not particularly profitable (at launch) in itself.

#3 AlBran, Dec 18, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    BRiT and goonergaz like this.
  4. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

It's already a spawned thread, you can't double spawn.

5. AlBran

AlBran Just Monika
    Moderator Legend

Phase 2 of Meiosis. :p

Are we cell yet