Motorstorm: Apocalypse

1080p? That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think? Also, I can't find any videos, interviews, articles, or any other sort of evidence that says the game will have 1080p support other than those 1080p screenshots that could easily be PR shots or just rendered offline at a higher res.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-10-03-bollocks-does-3d-hog-cpu-evolution

Southern is in charge of what will be a flagship 3D title for Sony. He did concede that adding the stereoscopic view does affect resolution as "you're basically drawing the game twice".

"It's a bit like split-screen," he explained, "which is why there's no 3D split-screen, because then it would look like a Spectrum game."

He added: "We're still aiming for 1080p in 3D and split-screen. I say aiming - I'm certainly not going to promise it. But right now it runs in 1080p."

MotorStorm Apocalypse was (and is) playable at the Eurogamer Expo 2010 this weekend. But don't panic if you missed out, because a public beta is planned.

Need an update.

EDIT:
Wait a minute, according to the interview here: http://www.el33tonline.com/past/2010/6/16/e3_2010_spectacular_motorstorm_apocalypse/
MS3 will have user created levels ?!

Oh wow I guess I must have missed that, I would be very impressed if they get the 2d running at 1080p, but I thought the ps3 couldn't output 120hz in 1080p, therefore no 3d in 1080P? Isn't that why blurays can only do 1080i max? Very weird, considering they're aiming at 3D in 1080p, must have been a mistake.

Im also a little bit disappointed at the 1080p announcement though considering they could use a totally acceptable full 720p res and make the game look even better, or make it run at 60fps :D

Oh wow I guess I must have missed that, I would be very impressed if they get the 2d running at 1080p, but I thought the ps3 couldn't output 120hz in 1080p, therefore no 3d in 1080P? Isn't that why blurays can only do 1080i max? Very weird, considering they're aiming at 3D in 1080p, must have been a mistake.

Im also a little bit disappointed at the 1080p announcement though considering they could use a totally acceptable full 720p res and make the game look even better, or make it run at 60fps :D
I believe it is possible to do 1080p/30fps in S3D, but the HDMI 1.3 standard won't allow for higher. Also, the S3D gaming standard only allows for up to 720p/60fps.

Don't be disappointed at the 1080p announcement. So far, this Motorstorm seems to look better than the last one at 720p! A resolution bump is an additional visual feast.

I believe it is possible to do 1080p/30fps in S3D, but the HDMI 1.3 standard won't allow for higher. Also, the S3D gaming standard only allows for up to 720p/60fps.

Don't be disappointed at the 1080p announcement. So far, this Motorstorm seems to look better than the last one at 720p! A resolution bump is an additional visual feast.
1080p doesnt do as much of a difference compared to shifting the resources to visual effects and framerate if you ask me

1080p doesnt do as much of a difference compared to shifting the resources to visual effects and framerate if you ask me

I've always felt the MS series to be visually very arresting in many ways, so i think sticking to 720p but with additional effects and a rock solid 30fps would of been sufficient. Thats not to say its not a solid 60fps now of course ;) I love this series and for me its absolutely the creme de la creme of off road madness. I dont think Evolution get the credit they deserve really.

3D can't be done in 1080p on any framerate with the 1.3 spec. For the ps3's 3D to work, you are forced to output at 120hz, even if many frames are repeated. This is because the 3dtv glasses operate at 120hz to maintain minimal "flickering" of the shutters. Even if the game runs at 1080p 30fps the ps3 still has to spit out 120 individual frames out the hdmi output consistently, which it can't do in 1080p.

Again, it makes me wonder what Evolution meant with 1080p 3D

They should show their other user tools, if their plan is still intact. I always thought MS3 is "merely" a visual upgrade from MS2.

I have a question, can the ps3 do 1080i 3D like the blu-ray playback with games? Then I can see how MS3 can do 3d at technically an internal 1920x1080 resolution.

Oh and my previous post was misleading, the ps3 technically doesn't output 120hz signals but 60hz signals of two stacked 720p images. The concept is still the same though, as it still basically uses the same bandwidth as a 720p 120hz video feed, which the ps3 is limited when it comes to 1080p 3D images (or simply isn't compatible).

@HTS: that sounds wrong to me. TV can handle the repeating itself.

@HTS: that sounds wrong to me. TV can handle the repeating itself.

If the TV can handle the repeating itself, then we would be able to enjoy 1080p movies on the ps3, and 1080p 30fps games would indeed be possible. I'm pretty sure it doesn't work that way though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think if MS3 looked this good in just 720p, these same people wouldn't say anything. To me, it looks better and packs in more options than any other 720p/30fps off-road/destructive street racer. I only see severe diminishing returns for more visual effects at 720p beyond this. I mean, what effects don't they have now that you would like to be included?

I've always felt the MS series to be visually very arresting in many ways, so i think sticking to 720p but with additional effects and a rock solid 30fps would of been sufficient. Thats not to say its not a solid 60fps now of course ;) I love this series and for me its absolutely the creme de la creme of off road madness. I dont think Evolution get the credit they deserve really.
I agree. Evolution has come a long way, as a studio, from the difficulties they said they had in the beginning. If it's 60fps, I will be on the floor! :smile:

Oh and my previous post was misleading, the ps3 technically doesn't output 120hz signals but 60hz signals of two stacked 720p images. The concept is still the same though, as it still basically uses the same bandwidth as a 720p 120hz video feed, which the ps3 is limited when it comes to 1080p 3D images (or simply isn't compatible).
True, but I don't see a difference. 1 image rendered per cycle at 120Hz or 2 images rendered per cycle at 60 Hz, it's the same. I don't see how it changes a thing. DLPs didn't render one complete 1080p image every cycle. It was fast enough to put together the two half 1080 images within the specified time written in the 1080p standard.

True, but I don't see a difference. 1 image rendered per cycle at 120Hz or 2 images rendered per cycle at 60 Hz, it's the same. I don't see how it changes a thing. DLPs didn't render one complete 1080p image every cycle. It was fast enough to put together the two half 1080 images within the specified time written in the 1080p standard.

That was my point, that there is no real difference, I just wanted to correct myself because technically that's how the ps3 outputs 720p images in 3D.

My most anticipated 3D release of the year. GT5 is decent, Killzone 3 is awesome but it kills your eyes, Motorstorm 3D rift demo I played was fantastic.

Back