More HL2 Propaganda from Anand

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Look at what happened when Nvidia "promised" Kyle at [H] that trilinear would be restored.

Do you think Anand will throw a spoiled brat's tantrum when true HL2 performance numbers with meaningful IQ settings are published, then ? :)

For immediate release

Nvidia Corporation is pleased to announce that his yet unannounced market-leading GPU, the GeForceFX5950 has won the coveted "Anand's Weblog top HL2 performer award" (well, it came as close second anyway). And to have an unannounced GPU running unannounced, uncertified and untested drivers win an unannounced benchmark done on an unpublished game by an unknown source and get said benchmarks published by an untesting guy with a weblog, it takes more than talent. It takes dollars.

Our 145 786 544 654 657 105 154 116 573 877 564 657 464 216 546 151 232 446 458 customers can now rest assured that they will get with HL2 the same performance and image quality they have come to expect from our bleeding-edge, feature-full, industry-winning products. In fact, our performance in HL2 is so good that in a bold industry-first move, our new GeForceFX 5950 will ship with an URL pointing to HL2's source code so our customers will get a chance to look at the code of the nice shaders they could enjoy if our Detonator drivers didn't replace them.

Nvidia is a global cheater in the communication age, and our goal is to deface every pixel on the planet.

Sabastian said:
This may seem a stupid question to ask but who would be interested in having Valves HL2 source code? Whom would benefit most from having it?

gits like that clan myg0t who like disrupting people's games by hacking servers and making aimbots and such... if they know the source for the servers it is that much easier to created such hacks to ruin multiplayer games.... oh and t0y in the myg0t clan was among the first to be showing this and appears to have been key to the leak... although other screen names such as hammer8 have come up as well (it is thought he distributed it first over an IRC channel in efnet).

The other developers would have no real interest in this unless they wanted to licence - but then they would go through 'official' channels to Valve... and let's face it if any game showed up with a HL2 engine and it hadn't been licenced already... well work it out ;)

However I CAN see some countries who don't respect US copyright having developers use this engine.

Everyone is always so quick to jump on web site's like Anand's and accusing them of nefarious motives. While it is definitely a possibility that he's in league with Nvidia I think it's more likely that he's just trying to generate traffic. That's how he makes money after all.

I tend to prefer technical review sites tend to stick with what is actually technical, and not play "press games." We get enough of that crap on TV, thanks. (And radio, and newpaper, and magazines...)

Good lord, how crap must Valve's security policy be if they allow the Outlook preview pane to be enabled? Maybe they'd give me a job and I could teach them a thing or two about securing machines :)

jimbob0i0 said:
gits like that clan myg0t who like disrupting people's games by hacking servers and making aimbots and such... if they know the source for the servers it is that much easier to created such hacks to ruin multiplayer games.... oh and t0y in the myg0t clan was among the first to be showing this and appears to have been key to the leak... although other screen names such as hammer8 have come up as well (it is thought he distributed it first over an IRC channel in efnet).

And if people didn't drive cars there would be less road accidents. Just because you choose to use motor vechicals doens't mean everyone does so please stop.

[qoute]
The other developers would have no real interest in this unless they wanted to licence - but then they would go through 'official' channels to Valve... and let's face it if any game showed up with a HL2 engine and it hadn't been licenced already... well work it out ;)[/quote]

How can they prove they stole the source reverse engineering someones exe violates the DMCA so you can use the DMCA to defend yourself against the DMCA.

I suppose that another possibility is that the 'reliable' source is somebody from one of the companies who produces NV cards (MSI, Leadtek?) and not from NVidia directly.

These would, undoubtedly, have access to NV38, the unreleased drivers and also HL2 and would also stand to benefit from the FUD.

On the other hand, you could also see NVidia 'suggesting' the release of such information to Anand from one of their card producers. ;)

If I may quote DaveBaumann for a moment "WTF???"

Bloodbob how can you equate those? What are you smoking? Is it the same is Tom Pabst?

Please explain your logic... I am having a hard time conceiving how you came about with that one.

Deliberately hacking servers and find exploits for the sole purpose of ruining other peoples games is wrong... to take pleasure in the anguish of others is wrong.... basic morals there.

Oh and if a game game out that had the same apparent physics modelling, same use of graphics techniques etc I'm sure Valve would want to take a look.... and the courts in the use tend to take IP issues fairly seriously... if there was a possible steal I@m sure they would look into it if Valve asked them too...

Not to mention many games of teh same engine have the same 'feel' to them... I can instantly tell if the engine I'm using in a game is Q3, unreal, etc based when it is a widly used engine... don't tell me Valve don't know their engine well enough that they can't tell it being used.

Joe DeFuria said:
Why would an AIB partner would have access to HL2?

• 1. NVidia obviously have access to HL2 for testing/bug checking purposes.

2. AIB vendors which are developing cards using NV chips need to test these for bugs/compatibility.

This would lead me to believe that these AIB vendors would have access to HL2 either direct from Valve themselves or through NVidia. How else could they test their hardware?

No conspiracy implied anywhere there - just seems logical to me. It's not as if MSI, Asus, etc are small, untrustworthy companies.

My original comment about NVidia 'suggesting' the 'leak' to Anand should have had a smiley next to it, in case you thought I was looking for a conspiracy.

Mariner said:
Joe DeFuria said:
Why would an AIB partner would have access to HL2?

• 1. NVidia obviously have access to HL2 for testing/bug checking purposes.

2. AIB vendors which are developing cards using NV chips need to test these for bugs/compatibility.

This would lead me to believe that these AIB vendors would have access to HL2 either direct from Valve themselves or through NVidia. How else could they test their hardware?
Yes the IHVs would have access to HL2, but not to the source code of HL2. I'd really think they'd be getting an executable and not the source!

Hmm. I'm not sure if people are misinterpreting what I've said, here.

I am not saying that I think the recent 'theft' of the HL2 source code is down to NVidia or their AIB vendors.

In fact, I've not said a word about this event.

I was talking about Anand's 'reliable source' for the HL2 benchmarks which he printed in his Weblog possibly being one of NVidia's AIB vendors.

As for the 'Source Source' code ;) , whoever stole it obviously knew what they were doing. I'd guess that the Valve network manager has been dragged over the coals for this lack of security!

Mariner said:

I honestly don't think that AIB vendors test nVidia's hardware / drivers with unreleased games...if they test much at all.

I don't see any reason why, with the exception of AIB partners bundling HL2 with their cards, AIB would have pre-release games.

With available games and benchmarks.

Benchmarking unreleased cards isn't that evil, the 9800XT might as well be unreleased right now. Anand just showed us that the nv38 can't compete with the 9800XT, thus people wont have to wait on the nv38 to make a decision to buy ATI, I fail to see how this is such a bad thing.

Also I do like to hear things like what he said even if the numbers are from Nvidia, it is just a little more information which will have to be verified somewhere else later. Some people think that the masses are "to dumb to be told things" b/c they will make stupid decisions based on partial knowledge but hey if they are dumb enough then they can pay the price :)

Sxotty said:
Benchmarking unreleased cards isn't that evil, the 9800XT might as well be unreleased right now. Anand just showed us that the nv38 can't compete with the 9800XT, thus people wont have to wait on the nv38 to make a decision to buy ATI, I fail to see how this is such a bad thing.

Also I do like to hear things like what he said even if the numbers are from Nvidia, it is just a little more information which will have to be verified somewhere else later. Some people think that the masses are "to dumb to be told things" b/c they will make stupid decisions based on partial knowledge but hey if they are dumb enough then they can pay the price :)

Yes..... but then that just leads to people thinking bad about *our* industry.... unless the 'general public' is educated then they won't know any better.... the likes of AT and [H] might as well go find uninformed peeps in teh street... mug them and take anywhere between $250 and $500 and then give it to NV... it's not Joe Blogg's fault if he didn't know to avoid them now is it?

(A little extreme ... sorry ... but I hope you get my point)

Back