Reverend at The Pulpit #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reverend said:
Depth Stencil Textures (DST, probably a new buzzword)

new ? when did you discover computer graphics ?
it has been used since early days of Geforce 3
(and some games on XBox also like splinter cell).

The fact that 3dmark discover it now (and they have been criticized for their use of stencil shadows also in the previous one), is not relevant. I don't quite understand the fuss about that.

Moreover, it is the original way to do it. 3dmark probably didn't want to do that before because their baseline (pre-ps2.0 boards) didn't support the "emulation" in the shader. Now that minimal spec support it in a way or the other, it is the way to go.

This issue for the site relates to the fact that they have their name stamped on this program as beta members of the benchmarks development. If they dont agree with what is implemented in it (and they obviously werent consulted with the final release), they dont need to be associated with it.

I dont agree that there should be any short-cuts/or alternate paths to render a benchmark which will be used through-out the industry for determining future 3d-graphics performance. Every card should follow the same path, and render the same image to give a comparitive result or fair score.

I think they have done the right thing with the shaders however, allowing the program to compile down the more advanced shaders in fewer passes (if possible) with the more advanced shader models supported by the newer cards (at least with a runtime-compilation engine). I also believe its ok to reduce precision for simple shaders, which have no effect on the output, and will be used to speed up dx9 games on slower, mixed-precision cards. Lets hope the newer drivers dont start overriding the benchmark requests in 3dmark.

Both of the above seem fair for all groups, even though they may specifically favour only one. The use of 3Dc in 3Dmark05 could only help one company, as does DST usage (which is actually on by default). The same would apply to game-tests that would have unusually-high overdraw and render back-to-front to slow the optimisations of IMR architectures & score more favourably on an alternative TBDR (if one emerged for PC) - what would people say then???

Scali, Im sure you (as well as DeanoC & many others) may have more experience and 3D-knowledge, than DaveB & Co, but you should show a little more respect for the guys on their own site. They have created and maintained and informative & edu-taining place here where people can learn about the world of 3D. The other developers arent out here picking through the little misconceptions that they may have made, so maybe you should reserve your opinions on such matters for other places. This place has never been the "be-all-and-end-all" of 3D, but it does seem to be one of the fairest and honest sites around.

tEd said:
Is the DST/PCF(or bilinear filtering whatever) even properly working right now? Looking at some screenshoots it looks not that way. IIRC is the filtering on nvidia hardware supposed to blur or anti-alias the edges isn't it but it doesn't look like it does anything like that at all

Looking at my screenshots on a GFFX with FW66.51 and 'Quality' there is quite a lot of blurring and/or anti-aliasing on the edges of them 2k-Shadowmaps.
Obviously, the degree of edge calculations varies depending on the position of light source and shadowed surface.

I tried frame 240 (just a wild guess at first try, but worked) on GT3 in quite a high resolution. The back fins of the airship do shadow the airtank of the ship quite blurry whereas the shadows of the emergency jets are only mildly AA'ed on the hull.

Mmmm,

[url=http://www.beyond3d.com/interviews/fm04/index.php?p=4 said:
In July Futuremarks Patric Ojala[/url]]3Dc is still ATI specific AFAIK, so that is not so interesting for us regarding 3DMark.

Something changed between July and September.

DaveBaumann said:
Mmmm,

In July Futuremarks Patric Ojala[/url]]3Dc is still ATI specific AFAIK, so that is not so interesting for us regarding 3DMark.

how can that be if you reviewed the x800xt pe in may and ati announced that no one had to pay to use it in thier chips ?

In a NDA doc, Futuremark states the following as one of the "Principle Guidelines" behind the formation of 3DMark05 :

Futuremark said:
3DMark will be implemented to produce an identical rendering on all hardware with the required feature set. This ensures that the performance measurement is reliable and comparable.

I read that to mean that the "default setting" plays an important part in FM's attempt to produce "identical rendering on all hardware" in 3DMark05.

DaveBaumann said:
Mmmm,

Reverend said:
In a NDA doc, Futuremark states the following as one of the "Principle Guidelines" behind the formation of 3DMark05 :

Futuremark said:
3DMark will be implemented to produce an identical rendering on all hardware with the required feature set. This ensures that the performance measurement is reliable and comparable.

I read that to mean that the "default setting" plays an important part in FM's attempt to produce "identical rendering on all hardware" in 3DMark05.
Sounds like things have really changed a lot the last few months. :?

Even more annoying is that the 'Free Version' doesn't allow you to compare equally - as the option to disable DST is not accessable (all benchmark settings are 'greyed out').

Reverend said:

Futuremark said:

I don't think it specifically says that, to be honest. To be fair, DST is not part of the *required* feature set of 3DMark05, since it can run without.
I think this statement merely says that without any *optional* features, you get identical, reliable and comparable rendering.

I can understand the confusion though, since it doesn't say that there are optional features, or how those relate to this. Then again, perhaps that was mentioned elsewhere in the document, or was thought to be implicit in this statement.

Scali said:
To be fair, DST is not part of the *required* feature set of 3DMark05, since it can run without.
If you purchase it, if you run the free version you don't have the option to disable DST.

digitalwanderer said:
If you purchase it, if you run the free version you don't have the option to disable DST.

No I mean, 3DMark05 doesn't require hardware that supports DST. If you don't have the support, 3DMark05 will still work. Hence it's not a required feature. The same goes for SM3.0 for example.

No, DST+PCF is not a require feature but PSM is.

DST+PCF has to do with PSM that FM implemented. Hence, PSM is itself a "required feature set" (and not necessarily the addition of DST+PCF) -- both ATI's and NV's DX9.0 parts support PSM. Heck ALL DX9 parts announced/available support PSM. Again, PSM is a "required feature set". It is the basic feature wrt shadows in 3DMark05.

DST+PCF is not an "optional feature" to a lot of folks -- it is enabled by default and in the free version, which the majority of folks use, you have no way to disable it.

1) Read what FM said a year+ ago regarding the principle guidelines that I provided, which I'll repeat again in this post :

Futuremark said:

2) See what is the default for shadow rendering in 3DMark05 as released (i.e. DST+PCF is on by default).
3) All can see that with DST+PCF enabled, you WILL NOT GET (to quote FM's own "principle guidelines" for 3DMark05) "AN IDENTICAL RENDERING ON ALL HARDWARE WITH THE REQUIRED FEATURE SET. THIS IS TO ENSURE THAT THE PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT IS RELIABLE AND COMPARABLE."
4) Note again the importance of what the "Default Settings" means.

Scali, you remind me a lot of Derek Smart when you post (you can take that as either a compliment or a jab) but I'll leave that aside for this one : Do you now see why me/Dave/Beyond3D is pissed about this especially when we agreed to participate in the BDP based on such "principle guidelines" set by Futuremark themselves?

Do you understand the importance of the "Default Settings" in 3DMark05? It is this that I/Dave/B3D is pissed about, not whether DST+PCF is an implemented feature (which I have said that if you want PSM, then it is a good thing).

Reverend said:
DST+PCF has to do with PSM that FM implemented. Hence, PSM is itself a "required feature set" (and not necessarily the addition of DST+PCF) -- both ATI's and NV's DX9.0 parts support PSM. Heck ALL DX9 parts announced/available support PSM. Again, PSM is a "required feature set". It is the basic feature wrt shadows in 3DMark05.

I believe we are talking about hardware features here. PSM is a rendering method, not a hardware feature. DST+PCF are hardware features, which can be applied to the PSM rendering method. But they are not required for the PSM rendering method.

DST+PCF is not an "optional feature" -- it is enabled by default and in the free version, which the majority of folks use, you have no way to disable it.

They are optional hardware features, in the way that they are not required to make 3DMark05 run, unlike for example SM2.0 support.

3) All can see that with DST+PCF enabled, you WILL NOT GET "AN IDENTICAL RENDERING ON ALL HARDWARE WITH THE REQUIRED FEATURE SET. THIS IS TO ENSURE THAT THE PERFORMANCE MEASUREMENT IS RELIABLE AND COMPARABLE."

Which depends on how 'required featureset' is to be interpreted.

Scali, you remind me a lot of Derek Smart when you post (you can take that as either a compliment or a jab) but I'll leave that aside for this one : Do you now see why me/Dave/Beyond3D is pissed about this especially when we agreed to participate in the BDP based on such "principle guidelines" set by Futuremark themselves?

I have seen why you are pissed all along. But as I say, I am not sure if your interpretation is the one that FM meant. With the alternative interpretation that I presented, your statements would be in an entirely different light (not saying that my interpretation is the right one, you'll have to ask FM).

Do you understand the importance of the "Default Settings" in 3DMark05?

Yes, and as I said before, 3DMark's game tests are not about apples-to-apples testing, but about predicting in-game performance. The feature tests are apples-to-apples (why haven't you made any fuss about the fact that some cards use SM3.0 while others use SM2.0 in the same game tests?).
This goes for 3DMark03 aswell, where game tests could run either a ps1.1 or ps1.4 path, on hardware from the same generation, but from different IHVs.
And for 3DMark2000/2001 where non T&L hardware had to run CPU-based T&L where T&L hardware used a hardware T&L path by default, but could be forced to run software T&L if required.
And there are probably other examples of how game tests weren't apples-to-apples, but feature tests generally were (with the exception of T&L vs non-T&L I suppose).

I have seen why you are pissed all along. But as I say, I am not sure if your interpretation is the one that FM meant.

Of course it was. Especially in light of the post a few posts above, where most people will only be able to run the default modes.

Scali, I give up. Please take the following as nothing more than an observation (and not a flame) : You are either too stubborn to see what I mean, too blind to see what I mean or the Internet is probably not the best way to debate this.

Reverend said:
Scali, I give up. Please take the following as nothing more than an observation (and not a flame) : You are either too stubborn to see what I mean, too blind to see what I mean or the Internet is probably not the best way to debate this.

Why am I the stubborn one here? It seems like Dave and you are the ones that aren't willing to look at another interpretation of this particular statement, so I could make the exact same observations about you.
Are all of the points I made complete nonsense then?

Scali said:
Yes, and as I said before, 3DMark's game tests are not about apples-to-apples testing, but about predicting in-game performance. The feature tests are apples-to-apples.
OMG. Have you even read the principle guidelines by FM ?! :oops:

Reverend said:
OMG. Have you even read the principle guidelines by FM ?! :oops:

OMG is 3DMark05 the first time you actually realize that the game tests aren't completely apples-to-apples?! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back