Microsoft Xbox All Access now includes Series X|S Upgrade Options (Installment Payment Plan)

That's not a strategy. It's a hire-purchase agreement with trade-up option, irrelevant to existing customers or those who buy a console direct.

Last edited:
Lay away? Is that the US phrase?

Kind of. With layaway you don't get the item until it's paid in full. Plus the cost is just the retail price. This deal costs more than retail. They say no APR(annual percentage rate) for 24 months, but the interest is already included in the monthly payment. When it's paid in full it will cost you $743.76 for the Xbox One X & 24 months of Game Pass Ultimate. That's a mark-up of $115 over 24 months or an extra $4.79/mo. So it's more like rent-to-own, but the upgrade mid-contract is what sets it apart. After 12 months you've only paid $371.88 & you get Scarlett at launch. If Game Pass Ultimate wasn't included I would say it was a bad deal. The Xbox One S & Xbox One S All-Digital Edition are definitely not worth it.

Tommy McClain

Small print....

With approval of Citizens One Line of Credit at 0% APR and 24-month term. Subject to individual credit approval. Total payment amount from $479.76; taxes, shipping, and other charges are extra and may vary (estimated retail price with Xbox One S All-Digital Edition console; prices will vary by console and retailer). See Citizens One Line of Credit Agreement at https://www.citizensone.com/XAA for full terms and conditions.

If you don't have good credit, then I doubt you'll qualify. Plus, it looks like shipping and taxes may be extra. :/

Also, look at what happens if you do the upgrade at 12 months...

Special Holiday Upgrade Offer: Upgrading to Project Scarlett is subject to its release and availability at the time you upgrade. Upgrade requires at least 12 payments on your original Xbox All Access contract, and purchase of a new 24-month Xbox All Access contract for Project Scarlett, expected Holiday 2020. Offer valid for original purchase of Xbox One X with Xbox All Access through Dec 31, 2019; not available with Xbox One S. New contract, terms, and pricing apply. Requires return of console in good condition. Project Scarlett is subject to FCC rules and will comply with the appropriate FCC rules when available. See product and upgrade terms at Xbox.com/XboxAllAccessTerms.

Scarlett will cost you $371.88 the first 12 month + another $743.76 for the next 24 months. Or a total of $1115.64. If you had paid full $14.99/mo for Game Pass Ultimate that means Scarlett costs you $576. Could be a good deal?

Tommy McClain

But you don't know what you'll have to pay to get Scarlett?

Actually you do. After 12 months you would have paid $371.88 & then you're required to start another 24 month contract. At $30.90/mo that's another $743.76. Or $1115.64 after 36 months.

Tommy McClain

Okay. Those prices weren't talked about in the EG article. Can't find them online either. ;) If we have the price for Scarlett purchase, we can get its RRP. Have you a link to that $30.99 for Scarlett? Are you assuming the same price as for the XB1X? That'd place the hardware price for Scarlett as the same as XB1X now, $500 - I doubt MS will be discounting the box to Access buyers.

Get the skinny directly from Microsoft... https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-all-access

My assumption is that the new 24-month contract after the upgrade is the same as the Xbox One X monthly contract price of $30.99. If it was something different I'm sure the small print would have mentioned it. If it's more then could open them up to litigation for not making that clear in the terms. BTW, I've always thought Scarlett price would be the same as Xbox One X.

Tommy McClain

Get the skinny directly from Microsoft... https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-all-access

My assumption is that the new 24-month contract after the upgrade is the same as the Xbox One X monthly contract price of $30.99. If it was something different I'm sure the small print would have mentioned it. If it's more then could open them up to litigation for not making that clear in the terms. BTW, I've always thought Scarlett price would be the same as Xbox One X.

Tommy McClain

$20 upgrade fee from all digital, subject to change.

Upgrade: Upgrade option after the equivalent of 18 payments for the next Xbox console only, coming Holiday 2020 (excludes Xbox One X, S, and S All Digital Edition). New contract, terms, and pricing apply. Upgrading from Xbox One S All-Digital Edition will require payment of a $20 upgrade fee (subject to change).

Clear as mud.

Nice catch. $20 upgrade fee seems fair. But it still doesn't say exactly what the new monthly contract amount would be. Like I said the simplest answer is it's the same as the Xbox One X.

Tommy McClain

To be fair, one should be comparing the cost to how much it would be to take out a loan to buy an XBO-S with Ultimate Game Pass and then later another loan to buy a Project Scarlett box with Ultimate Game Pass.

That is effectively what is happening here with the exception that Microsoft is using CitizensOne to underwrite the loan rather than the consumer choosing who to take out a loan from.

Regards,
SB

To be fair, one should be comparing the cost to how much it would be to take out a loan to buy an XBO-S with Ultimate Game Pass and then later another loan to buy a Project Scarlett box with Ultimate Game Pass.

That is effectively what is happening here with the exception that Microsoft is using CitizensOne to underwrite the loan rather than the consumer choosing who to take out a loan from.

Regards,
SB

Except nobody goes to their local bank to get a personal loan to buy goods like that anymore. You either use a credit card(personal or store-branded) or buy from a local rent-to-own retailer. Both ways are at opposite sides of the cost spectrum.

Tommy McClain

Actually you do. After 12 months you would have paid $371.88 & then you're required to start another 24 month contract. At $30.90/mo that's another $743.76. Or $1115.64 after 36 months.

Tommy McClain
But you would have had X and GP for 12 months at that point. It’s not as if it’s all cost of the Scarlett.

But you would have had X and GP for 12 months at that point. It’s not as if it’s all cost of the Scarlett.

Well the wording was this...

But you don't know what you'll have to pay to get Scarlett?

If you buy an X & GP for 12 months you get a Scarlett. ;)

If he meant total cost of ownership, yes, that's different. It's not yours until the 36 months of payments are paid.

Tommy McClain

Back