Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt noise measurement are going to be really helpful unless the output is very consistent across units.

Anecdotal evidence from various forums seems to indicate different experiences for users amongst the same platform regardless of brand so a scientific analysis would require testing enough units across different lots to get a proper sample.

A through analysis would also account for environmental factors including range of ambient temperatures and other factors like setups which can affect the ability of a console to keep itself cool.

But who has the resources or motivation for that type of analysis outside of Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo. If this type of analysis is being readily performed by manufacturers, they don't seem all that interested in publishing that type of information.

The machines are occasionally rebooted and the HDDs just continue to soldier on.
Have you let them cool off? As long as the bearings remain warm they tend to start more readily, from testimonies I've seen.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry much about different brands. They are all so similar reliability-wise from a single-user perspective. Maybe if you have hundreds, certainly thousands of drives spinning, then it would make a noticeable impact. You and me though, the die might roll so that any drive from any manufacturer dies, or it works for 15 years...

In the past tho things were different. Seagate used to be absolute SHIT, like back in the 1980s, early half of the '90s, before they bought Wren (then things started to change for them.) Then Samsung became the shit brand. I remember visiting a friend working at a small PC retailer in the little town I grew up in, he was about to build a PC with one of the new slim Samsung drives. He pulled the packing tape off the drive, and...POP. Off came the top cover! :LOL:

It wasn't packing tape. The cover was taped to the drive, seriously... :LOL:

They had a shit tonne of those Samsung drives die on them, and they weren't even that big a firm.

Attention ...

Just so this doesn't come as a surprise to anyone, once the Xbox One X console is released on November 7th, this mega-thread about News and Rumors PreRelease will be closed. After that point, please post separate topics for individual new topics or news relating to the console. This is in line with other console procedures and allows for related News to be easier to find and follow.

Somebody got ahold of a non sponsored Xbox One X contraband (surprised a flood of this hasnt happened now that I think about it)

Boot screen

Wolfenstein 2 on Xbox One X in the wild...too my untrained eye it does look really sharp...would they even have XoX textures yet?

Doom XoX

He said footage straight from his Xbox record feature

Somebody got ahold of a non sponsored Xbox One X contraband (surprised a flood of this hasnt happened now that I think about it)

Boot screen

Wolfenstein 2 on Xbox One X in the wild...too my untrained eye it does look really sharp...would they even have XoX textures yet?

Doom XoX

He said footage straight from his Xbox record feature
Very major clipping in Wolf2. Keep your eyes top left corner on the walls after he passes through the double doors. Some red texturing moves with the character. Really messed up.

There's a lot of LOD/texture bugs in that Wolf vid. Look at the ceiling and walls at :11. And all the pipes throughout the whole vid.

That's really the boot up screen?
That's awful. Looks like the beginning of a youtube trailer.
Even the spinning cube of the Atari Jaguar was better.

OG Xbox boot will never be bested.

So evidently the XB1X will support 1440p natively. Explain to me in layman terms what this is & why I would want this. Also, is this worth buying a 1440p monitor over a 4K TV?

Granted I do not own a desktop PC & probably never will. I was considering a 65+" 4K TV for later to go with XB1X when the price drops to $400, but I'm intrigued by the 1440p route. Could be something I use for my man cave instead of the living room if the price is cheap enough.

Tommy McClain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back