Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
So evidently the XB1X will support 1440p natively. Explain to me in layman terms what this is & why I would want this. Also, is this worth buying a 1440p monitor over a 4K TV?

Granted I do not own a desktop PC & probably never will. I was considering a 65+" 4K TV for later to go with XB1X when the price drops to $400, but I'm intrigued by the 1440p route. Could be something I use for my man cave instead of the living room if the price is cheap enough.

Tommy McClain

Personally, this makes more sense to me when you have the opposite situation. If you already have a 1440p monitor (perhaps one with FreeSync) it might be nice to be able to use the One X with it and get some resolution benefit (over 1080p). I'm not sure, though, that it makes sense to buy a 1440p monitor to use solely with a One X.

I still think 1440p is a bad option for a monitor, unless you already have one. If you play games in 4k modes, it'll downsample directly to 1440p, instead of downsampling to 1080p and having the monitor scale back up to 1440p. But if you play a scorpio game in performance mode it'll be 1080p60, most likely, and will have scaling issues output at 1440p. A 4k monitor will give you 4k without scaling and 1080p with perfect scaling. And a 1080p monitor you get 1080p without scaling and 4k downsampling.

I still think 1440p is a bad option for a monitor, unless you already have one. If you play games in 4k modes, it'll downsample directly to 1440p, instead of downsampling to 1080p and having the monitor scale back up to 1440p. But if you play a scorpio game in performance mode it'll be 1080p60, most likely, and will have scaling issues output at 1440p. A 4k monitor will give you 4k without scaling and 1080p with perfect scaling. And a 1080p monitor you get 1080p without scaling and 4k downsampling.

Yeah, the perfect 4X Scale from 1080p to 4K is nice.

So evidently the XB1X will support 1440p natively. Explain to me in layman terms what this is & why I would want this. Also, is this worth buying a 1440p monitor over a 4K TV?

Granted I do not own a desktop PC & probably never will. I was considering a 65+" 4K TV for later to go with XB1X when the price drops to $400, but I'm intrigued by the 1440p route. Could be something I use for my man cave instead of the living room if the price is cheap enough.

Tommy McClain
Basically it's an option if you prefer to run 1440p. Instead of having a 4K image downsample to 1080p and then re-upscale back to 1440p (if that is your monitor), it will go from 4K -> 1440p and keep that native monitor resolution.

I am guessing there is option in the display menu to output at 1440p?...360 had a bunch of different output resolutions you could set. Not sure how it is with Xbox One...

I think buying a 1440p monitor specifically for X1X is not a great choice primarily because you are not going to get the perf benefits of running 1440p instead of 4K like you can on PC...most developers are going to target 4K/30 or 1080/60.

Thanks for the replies gents! After looking at some prices I think I'd rather use that money toward a 4K TV. I'm hoping the prices will be more reasonable next year & quality HDR is more standard.

Tommy McClain

1440p is my sweet spot for PC when I've outputting from my PC to my TV but 1440p is poorly supported in many TVs. This resolution is not part of the core HDMI specifications and while most TVs can actually handle 1440p at 30, 50, 60, 100 and 120Hz just fine, it often has to be driven from the output device. I.e. when your console/PC queries the TV for supported resolutions, 1440p is generally not included so it'll fall back to 1080p.

Very frustrating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back