Microsoft Xbox One X Scorpio Price Prediction and Reaction

Predict Scorpio's launch price:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A quick Amazon shows PS4 Pro is $399 and the PS4 is $275. So a $125 gap between Sony offerings and a $150 difference between the $250 XB1S and the $499 XB1X.

I think in that perspective, it makes a lot of sense within product lines. Does the XB1X offer a bigger upgrade to the XB1S than the Pro does to the PS4? Is it $25 more of an upgrade than the Pro from the PS4?

It depends on how we define success? Its a high margin product but still limited mass appeal so in those terms i think XB1X will be a success (atleast in the US) but it wont change the marketshare. I dont buy the narrative that PS4 had a lead due to power, you ignore that it was more powerful but also 100$ cheaper while being out a year earlier. 360 vs PS3 was also not about power, Sony was losing the generation until they managed to come out with cheaper SKUs and strong first party titles

IMO it seems like MS is buying into the forum banter about specs that has been going on and forgetting the reason why 360 was successfull. They had the multiplayer scene but also had some incredibly strong exclusives. Now MS is trying to push hardware while relying on mostly multiplat titles. Wich all have exclusive content and promotion with Sony

This. This is like their version of '4 the players' maybe "4 our fanboys"?

lol, so was it a typo or did you really think it was $150?

Hnnnggggg

cBM1ea0.png

But I just realized it's 1TB. What a joke MS. $499 and 1TB?? Should have been 2TB, if not 3-4, in keeping with the "monster" branding.

What a fail, MS. This irks me more the more I think about it.

Well, as a practical matter, I dont have space troubles with my 500GB internal +1TB external setup (whereas 500GB only was a definite issue). But, i think it's usually ~40% full? So that might be pushing it on 1TB.

I assume all those extra quality assets will require more space? Seems tight, a premium super duper console with a 1TB HDD? Not like the extra would have cost much in the scheme of things.

I assume all those extra quality assets will require more space? Seems tight, a premium super duper console with a 1TB HDD? Not like the extra would have cost much in the scheme of things.

Xbox One users are already set with their current external USB3 drives for their games as they've been able to play from them for a few years already. If they had a cheaper XBOX model with smaller internal HD that's the one I'd opt for. No need for internal storage when I already have 2 4TB externals connected to my current console.

lol, so was it a typo or did you really think it was $150?

I can't math.

If they had a cheaper XBOX model with smaller internal HD that's the one I'd opt for.

Same here. In fact, if they went the 360 Arcade model with 256 flash (or however much is needed for the OS), as a cheaper alternative, I'd prefer that if it came at a lower cost. I see no need to fight the internal storage capacity battle.

Apparently there's about 780GB free space on 1TB Xbox One's. Thats enough for at least 15 Xbox One games. 360 games wouldn't put as much of dent.

I suspect they will release a 2TB SKU option at some point.

Apparently there's about 780GB free space on 1TB Xbox One's. Thats enough for at least 15 Xbox One games. 360 games wouldn't put as much of dent.

I suspect they will release a 2TB SKU option at some point.

Or seven copies of Halo 5. ;)

IIRC I heard MS announced the xb1s will drop to $199 (google confirms) so its actually a 2.5x difference in price. Though looking at the relative failure of the ps4 pro sales, I think making the entry level xb1 cheaper instead of the top of the line version is the better bet. So MS has made the smart choice

Nah, XB1S remains 249 at the low end. For the 500GB Minecraft bundle.

MS just confusingly announced a 50 cut on Xb1 over E3 week. Not a permanent cut. In addition it turned out to be only on select SKU's, and the 249 Minecraft SKU isn't one. So the end result is there is no 199 XB1. https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/10/15776370/microsoft-xbox-one-s-price-drop-e3-2017

PS4 also did a E3 cut to 250. Or at the least I know the new gold Ps4 is 250 over E3 week, then is set to return to 299.

It's convoluted because I dont think MS has officially admitted the Minecraft bundle is 249. Yet that's the price everywhere for a while. Basically after E3 discounts are over the situation AFAIK should be: PS4 299 and up, Xb1 299 and up, EXCEPT the XB1 Minecraft bndle=249. At least that's how it was pre e3.

I didn't realize MS was back to undercutting PS4 on the low end by 50 bucks, but it hasn't seemed to help them at all in NPD.

IIRC I heard MS announced the xb1s will drop to $199 (google confirms) so its actually a 2.5x difference in price. Though looking at the relative failure of the ps4 pro sales, I think making the entry level xb1 cheaper instead of the top of the line version is the better bet. So MS has made the smart choice

I thought that was a temp drop?
It's risky having a bigger gap because it's harder to upsell...that's coming from a salesman's PoV. Xbox customer walking into a shop November has a choice of 2 consoles one $200 (if the price stays that) one $500. Buyer will ask what the extra is for and is told 'better graphic, faster loading etc' - do you really think for just those extra features people will pay double?
Conversely the PS4 to Pro upgrade path is much easier 'just an extra $125 to have prettier graphics and future-proof yourself until next gen'.

Xbox One users are already set with their current external USB3 drives for their games as they've been able to play from them for a few years already. If they had a cheaper XBOX model with smaller internal HD that's the one I'd opt for. No need for internal storage when I already have 2 4TB externals connected to my current console.

Yes, but this is supposed to be a premium product - as such would I want extra wires hanging out of my console? If it had been an SSD (even at 500GB) I would be ok with the smaller hard drive, but even last year you could buy an off the shelf 2TB XBO...just seems a no brainer, it is being touted as the most powerful console by far which will have bigger and better assets yet has the same size HDD.

It's risky having a bigger gap because it's harder to upsell...that's coming from a salesman's PoV. Xbox customer walking into a shop November has a choice of 2 consoles one $200 (if the price stays that) one $500. Buyer will ask what the extra is for and is told 'better graphic, faster loading etc' - do you really think for just those extra features people will pay double?
See function's posts! If you're walking into a shop considering an XB1S, XB1X isn't for you and no-one should be trying to make that sell. 1X is for those who follow gaming, likely already have an XB1, and certainly know what a 1X is.

One X in terms of hardware performance, features and design it is simply perfect for $499. MS did a freakin excellent job in those regards,
But there is just one thing that makes that price tag too expensive and its the fact that the platform barely has any exclusive games as a console, none as a platform and there are no games specifically made for it with the aim of pushing the console to its full potential.
It is a Ferrari which is forced to drive on a dirt road instead of an autobahn

See function's posts! If you're walking into a shop considering an XB1S, XB1X isn't for you and no-one should be trying to make that sell. 1X is for those who follow gaming, likely already have an XB1, and certainly know what a 1X is.

Pretty sure he said it wasn't for X1 upgraders - will have to go back and check because that's who I'm saying it's for - the biggest Xbox fans. My point was that making the gap big wasn't clever because it'll make the jump harder.

Edit - he said "Scorpio isn't designed to replace X1S" which I read as people replacing their X1S but he may have meant MS going forward with Just the X1X - but then I never said anything like that as I know that won't be the case.

One X in terms of hardware performance, features and design it is simply perfect for $499. MS did a freakin excellent job in those regards,
But there is just one thing that makes that price tag too expensive and its the fact that the platform barely has any exclusive games as a console, none as a platform and there are no games specifically made for it with the aim of pushing the console to its full potential.
It is a Ferrari which is forced to drive on a dirt road instead of an autobahn

This. When a new console launches with exclusives then you have a reason to blow your wad - the only reason here is for prettier graphics and as the price of entry is high people may wait for a drop and by then we might start hearing about PS5.

Last edited:
yea I almost wished they launched with 500GB to save me $$$ ;)
I've got a 3 TB external holding all of my XBO games. Last thing I would want to do is transfer.
I get the idea of premium being all in 1. But you're asking to start at 3-5 TB then. That's not something I want to pay MS for.

Back