Digital Foundry: Microsoft Xbox One X & S supports Freesync 2 [2017-04-11]

I don’t see this as something they would would for fun, it’s not even a feature requested by the request program.
Consider that.
Everything costs money, this isn’t some form of weird check list where they put a box with no new games supporting it. they need a game that will support It and there must be a story around it. It has to be a big title, they want it to sell the platform.

If they want 60+ FPS gaming as part of their next platform then they will start supporting it now.

Eh, how difficult was it to implement this on a technical level? Probably not much. They have a 1440p mode as well. I don't think those features are hard to implement considering the tech that's already in there.

Eh, how difficult was it to implement this on a technical level? Probably not much. They have a 1440p mode as well. I don't think those features are hard to implement considering the tech that's already in there.
It’s not hard. But Xbox isn’t a PC. Platform decisions aren’t usually made on a whim. There are a couple ways to view it, one is to ensure proper support of all freesync monitors. Another is to actually support more than 60fps. Scott’s idea is likely more accurate, but that doesn’t bar Xbox from attempting the latter either.

Maybe 343i should get MCC compatible with 120Hz/VRR for the totally nonexistent, not-forthcoming PC edition.
Hehe. You and I are on the same wavelength.

Mouse and keyboard
Freesync 1/2 and now up to 120Hz
Cross ownership, crossplay, all 1P titles coming to PC
Virtual surround sound on headphones both Dolby and windows sonic

I honestly think we are seeing shift away from big screen entertainment at home and to meet a changing market that is likely only capable of real estate of smaller screens on desks and no real home theatre setups. All of this likely driven by the fact that the mobile market has been a huge disruption.

Hehe. You and I are on the same wavelength.

Mouse and keyboard
Freesync 1/2 and now up to 120Hz
Cross ownership, crossplay, all 1P titles coming to PC
Virtual surround sound on headphones both Dolby and windows sonic

I honestly think we are seeing shift away from big screen entertainment at home and to meet a changing market that is likely only capable of real estate of smaller screens on desks and no real home theatre setups. All of this likely driven by the fact that the mobile market has been a huge disruption.

All of the new tvs will be low latency, 120Hz with adaptive sync. TVs have fallen way behind for gaming for quite a while, but now they'll be very viable gaming devices.

All of the new tvs will be low latency, 120Hz with adaptive sync. TVs have fallen way behind for gaming for quite a while, but now they'll be very viable gaming devices.
Indeed, and likely the update is designed to support that. But for me the future of Xbox no longer is necessarily bound to the living room.

Having the opportunity to see continuum in person, and to have a next gen console with a 8c Ryzen chip, it would be a missed opportunity not to have the next Xbox play further into the PC space.

Without settings to downgrade the visuals and improve performance, how's that ever getting to get used?

All speculation of course.

But if Microsoft increasingly pushes for UWP versions of games (work on both XBO and PC) then scalable settings should be simple to include when someone plays the game on XBO as it'll be basically the same as the PC version.

For example, Gears of War 4, Halo Wars, Forza, all have customizable settings in the Windows Store. There's a small selection of 3rd party AAA titles in the Windows Store which also have customizable settings just like the Steam version of the games.

Basically, I see it as setting the foundation for a more PC like gaming experience with the Console like "convenience," UI, and controls.

Regards,
SB

Yup. I'm hoping that 120 Hz and adaptive sync comes to LG's OLED line of TVs at some point.

If that happens and NV still doesn't have adaptive sync support, bye bye NV and back to AMD for me.

Regards,
SB

The April Xbox Update Begins Rolling Out Today

Gamers will also enjoy the newly introduced support for variable refresh rate output to AMD Radeon FreeSync and FreeSync 2 compatible displays. AMD Radeon FreeSync is a form of variable refresh rate which helps to reduce input latency and minimize display stuttering, delivering a buttery-smooth visual gameplay experience in your favorite games. The entire Xbox One family of devices will work with FreeSync-certified displays. Xbox One S and Xbox One X will also support high dynamic range with AMD Radeon FreeSync 2.

:runaway::runaway::runaway:

a new option in Windows 10 May Update increases the smoothness of games. I expect native support of this feature on Xbox consoles from now on.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/os-variable-refresh-rate/

With Windows Version 1903, we have added a new toggle in Graphics Settings for variable refresh rate. Variable refresh rate (VRR) is similar to NVIDIA’s G-SYNC and VESA DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync.

This new toggle enables VRR support for DX11 full-screen games that did not support VRR natively, so these games can now benefit from your VRR hardware.

Back