Digital Foundry: Microsoft Xbox One X & S supports Freesync 2 [2017-04-11]

I'm surprised that the original Xbox One model will support FreeSync, even if it's not the FS-2.

I'm surprised that the original Xbox One model will support FreeSync, even if it's not the FS-2.

Shouldn't be that surprising as AMD has had FreeSync going back at least to Sea Islands ("GCN 2"). While the release for XBO was in the same year as the release of video cards containing SI, I'm sure the tech in SI was available to both Sony and Microsoft if they wanted to include it in semi-custom designs.

Meaning yes, XBO started development before the release of cards based on SI, but SI likely started development well before the SOC for XBO was finalized or possibly even started.

Similar to how XBO-X isn't Vega but may include tech from Vega. XBO might not be SI but may include tech from SI.

Regards,
SB

I wasn't even thinking of it being GCN 2, but more from the aspect that Xbox One doesn't / wasn't updated to do HDR, so figured that model didn't have flexible enough output circuits.

Has anyone tried Freesync with LFC?
I'm curious to how well LFC performs.

Is there something equivalent on G-sync? I've never taken my monitor below 45fps so I'm never sure how it really performs way below threshold

Has anyone tried Freesync with LFC?
I'm curious to how well LFC performs.

Is there something equivalent on G-sync? I've never taken my monitor below 45fps so I'm never sure how it really performs way below threshold

I think it just displays the same frame twice, so if the low end of your freesync was 48Hz it could handle 24fps with LFC. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

As an aside, I haven't been able to find 1440p freesync monitor for Xbox that wouldn't significantly eat into my budget for a new tv. I think I'll just wait for hdmi 2.1 sets with vrr.

Last edited:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/04/06/test-freesync-xbox-one-tell-us-think/

We’re excited to announce that we will be supporting FreeSync on Xbox One consoles, and we would like your help to test out the feature! This is currently available in all Xbox One Preview Rings, and all you need to do is connect a monitor that supports FreeSync over HDMI to start seeing the benefits in-game.

Read more at https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/04/06/test-freesync-xbox-one-tell-us-think/#VwBlPXK81t270kJy.99

So FreeSync on the original Xbox Uno and FreeSync 2 on S and X.

They test out 2 monitors with the Xbox One X, one is Asus VG278Q FreeSync 1 1080p and the other is Samsung CHG70 FreeSync 2 1440p.

They test out 2 monitors with the Xbox One X, one is Asus VG278Q FreeSync 1 1080p and the other is Samsung CHG70 FreeSync 2 1440p.
Ayee, yes, it is good practice to write out a summary of a video. I should do that more often instead of just dumping a video and leaving.

Without settings to downgrade the visuals and improve performance, how's that ever getting to get used?
Yea. 1P title might be able to pull it off. Very few would attempt it though. Games coming to mind, eSport titles where it matters, Halo 6 for instance on 1X. Locking resolution and assets to high/ultra but running above 100fps

Between FreeSync and a higer than 60fps refresh mode...it's probably just to encourage developers to have uncapped framerate modes. When you think of BC, having games with uncapped frame-rates might be more futureproof.

Also wonder how technically possibly would it be for Microsoft to uncap frame-rates on older games? It's probably much tougher than what they are doing with resolutions on older games but would be another impressive feature for BC.

Between FreeSync and a higer than 60fps refresh mode...it's probably just to encourage developers to have uncapped framerate modes. When you think of BC, having games with uncapped frame-rates might be more futureproof.

Also wonder how technically possibly would it be for Microsoft to uncap frame-rates on older games? It's probably much tougher than what they are doing with resolutions on older games but would be another impressive feature for BC.

I don’t see this as something they would would for fun, it’s not even a feature requested by the request program.
Consider that.
Everything costs money, this isn’t some form of weird check list where they put a box with no new games supporting it. they need a game that will support It and there must be a story around it. It has to be a big title, they want it to sell the platform.

If they want 60+ FPS gaming as part of their next platform then they will start supporting it now.

Back