Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, so I get from that, there will be...
  • Native 4k with better textures.
  • Reconstruction 4k with a lot of enhanced IQ settings.
  • Both of the above supersampled at 1080p (4k downsampled to 1080p).
Not bad. It'd be nice if there was also a 60 FPS performance mode. Or is the game already 60 FPS?

Regards,
SB
30fps. Not sure what quality mode is. They didn't announce the resolution on that one. We'll know when 1X comes out.

30fps. Not sure what quality mode is. They didn't announce the resolution on that one. We'll know when 1X comes out.

From that picture.

In native 4K playback on Xbox One X, two modes of play are available to take full advantage of the power of Xbox One X: Favor Resolution mode and Favour Quality mode

Both modes are in "native 4k playback." I'm assuming that "native 4k playback" isn't exactly the same as "native 4k rendering". Hence, I'm assuming that favour quality mode will feature some sort of reconstruction (probably checkboard as is likely on PS4-P) in order to achieve 4k playback.

Regards,
SB

Nice, so I get from that, there will be...
  • Native 4k with better textures.
  • Reconstruction 4k with a lot of enhanced IQ settings.
  • Both of the above supersampled at 1080p (4k downsampled to 1080p).
Not bad. It'd be nice if there was also a 60 FPS performance mode. Or is the game already 60 FPS?

Regards,
SB

Reconstruction? All I'm getting from this is it's a dynamic res technique targeting native 4K. My impression with the Favour Quality mode is still using native res but will obviously be dropping down it's res more than Favour Resolution mode.

Reconstruction? All I'm getting from this is it's a dynamic res technique targeting native 4K. My impression with the Favour Quality mode is still using native res but will obviously be dropping down it's res more than Favour Resolution mode.

I had thought of that as well. But as the PS4-P version is likely doing checkerboard, I'm assuming they'd just re-use that rendering path and spice it up with additional IQ on the XBO-X. We'll find out whenever DF get their hands on it. :)

Although since I don't follow the game much (open world, bleh), I have no idea if the PS4-P is doing checkboard or if it's just doing dynamic resolution.

Regards,
SB

I had thought of that as well. But as the PS4-P version is likely doing checkerboard, I'm assuming they'd just re-use that rendering path and spice it up with additional IQ on the XBO-X. We'll find out whenever DF get their hands on it. :)

Although since I don't follow the game much (open world, bleh), I have no idea if the PS4-P is doing checkboard or if it's just doing dynamic resolution.

Regards,
SB
From what I read on neogaf it seems like PS4 Pro is just doing dynamic resolution as well:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251529515&postcount=2725
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=251643173&postcount=2744

It goes to 11!

I haven't seen anything new about the noise level, so the last they said was similar noise levels as Xbox One S.
One-Does-Not-Simply-Remove-Heat-From-The-Universe.png

It goes to 11!
Haha, well, that would be the O.G. 360. :p

After MS's bullshit about how it would be a quiet console I'm a bit jaded, so to speak. But, I guess it's too soon for hands-on sound experiences. Gotta be patient some more - which I'm notoriously bad at...

DAAAAAM. That's a tiny-ass console, for its power level! Hugely impressive.

Any word on sound levels yet?

That's nice but I guess it's kinda business strategy/OT, but I feel like MS needs to stop making their pretty, nice, quiet. expensive consoles that cost too much and get out some big, drab stuff that is cheap like PS4.

I mean yeah Xbox S is very nice. So? It's getting killed in sales and given it's power level the only thing that will help is being $50 cheaper than PS4 at every SKU. These glossy, nice, consoles cant be cheap.

Xbox X is nice too, so small! Too bad 499 means it's going to have limited penetration of the mass market. PS4 Pro, man it's way bigger! It's matte, nothing special. Yeah, and it's 399. Check the recent sales figures to see which company's choices consumers prefer.

ANYWAYS.

Speaking of, kind of having second thoughts on if I should carry through my One X preorder It's a lot of money and kind of with playing the same games, sometimes hard to make a case for. And I'm not feeling flush with excess cash, maybe waiting a few weeks wouldn't hurt.

It doesn't help that after borrowing my brother PS4 pro, at 55" at ten feet viewing distance (4k TV), It's (so far, very limited sample size) hard to see so much benefit from higher resolutions it seems (Horizon Zero Dawn being the game). For example, I had to ask on here if the pro dashboard is 4k (turns out it is, but the point is I had to ask because I cant just immediately tell!).

Most likely I'll still get it on Nov 7 though.

Last edited:
Xbox X is nice too, so small! Too bad 499 means it's going to have limited penetration of the mass market. PS4 Pro, man it's way bigger! It's matte, nothing special. Yeah, and it's 399. Check the recent sales figures to see which company's choices consumers prefer.
Yeah, MS definitely has the uphill struggle this generation, but that doesn't change that the X is - to my eyes at least - a spliffin lookin console. It's because it looks good that I'm interested in it, even though I feel like I've "moved past" consoles in my life as it is now.

This doesn't mean I'll buy one. Just that I'm interested in buying one. :)

Shadow of War PC apparently needs an 8GB card to run it's UHD texture pack...the DF console comparison notes PS4 pro (along with vanilla PS4 and Xbox One of course, all 8GB consoles) is not running the equivalent of those textures, presumably lacking the VRAM (which will be effectively 5GB on the 8GB consoles, 5.5GB on 4Pro). DF were speculating perhaps X1X Shadow of War will run the PC's UHD textures due to having 12GB at it's disposal.

In other words maybe MS engineers actually made a targeted choice with 12GB being needed for "4k" (ish) textures and it wasn't just an arbitrary decision to have more stuff, but could pay real world dividends. Cool. Hype reengaged?

In other words maybe MS engineers actually made a targeted choice with 12GB being needed for "4k" (ish) textures and it wasn't just an arbitrary decision to have more stuff, but could pay real world dividends. Cool.
I'd say it's a few factors that coincide considering their need to feed a faster GPU with more bandwidth and how many chips they would need to do it without jumping to GDDR5X and/or waiting for 16Gbit density @ high speed along with power considerations.

Developers can always suck up more RAM with fat streaming buffers and uncompressed textures even if they don't serve much of a perceptual boon, especially in the latter case.

PC versions can also be less optimal with memory consumption since they have to deal with a variety of configurations.

I'd say it's a few factors that coincide considering their need to feed a faster GPU with more bandwidth and how many chips they would need to do it without jumping to GDDR5X and/or waiting for 16Gbit density @ high speed along with power considerations.

Developers can always suck up more RAM with fat streaming buffers and uncompressed textures even if they don't serve much of a perceptual boon, especially in the latter case.

PC versions can also be less optimal with memory consumption since they have to deal with a variety of configurations.
I'm thinking they might have even chosen the ram bandwidth first since they needed enough to have 100% compatibility with unpatched esram code. 256bit GDDR5 is coming short. Gddr5x have little volume yet.

Difference in texture detail is probably going to a bigger deal than the difference in resolution. I'm not that knowledgeable of graphics but outside of geometry and lighting I'd say texture quality is one of the more noticeable to the eye.

Main point being that things just lined up to be that way as opposed to just saying they needed X amount for developers to arbitrarily fill anyway.
The pieces of the puzzle seem to fit well with each other; likely I assume this is the result of the game code profiling they did and simulating games at 4K requirements.
It's just enough memory size to support large texture packs.
It's just enough bandwidth to support RGB16F and be ROP/bandwidth bound (asterisk, this is if you take account for full pool of memory, which I always found slightly odd when I saw the Avalanche developer slide on ROP calculations - isn't the memory pool dedicated for CPU tasks? If so the effective bandwidth should drop I think since you can't access the full amount. Perhaps I'm wrong when it concerns rasterization.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back