Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indeed. And especially if MS and AMD have curbed the obnoxiously high idle power consumption of the original PS4/xbone. I dunno how the 4Pro is doing in that regard, I stopped caring about it the second I realized it did not have 4K BR support.
About to see blade runner in theatres but pretty confident I will buy this on 4K UHD :). So oddly for the few titles I do buy, yea this became a factor for me.

Only real question left for me with this thing is the noise level when fully taxed...it already beats out PS4 Pro and most(outside of highly customized) PC's on performance per liter(volume) but if it can be decently quiet then I will be impressed and it will be a no-brainer choice.

Does performance per litre factor into many of your decisions?

Does performance per litre factor into many of your decisions?
Absolutely, when it comes to electronics it's very important to me. I don't have a big apartment, I can't clutter it up with huge boxes all over the place (and not needlessly wasting natural resources is also very important to me), which is why the O.G. Xbox back in 2001 was never a consideration for me ever, nor was the O.G. Xbone. They were both gigantic compared to their peers, AND the Xbone had (a very large) external power brick on top as well.

Apple squished a device with the graphics power of what, around half a PS4 or thereabouts IIRC (CPU power might well be more than that, at least for integer) into a device that's little bigger than a short stack of crackers. And it fits that along with internal power supply and a cooling fan, and a set of standard ports on the back.

That's mighty schweet hardware design. Scorpio is getting there though - it packs a lot of stuff into a quite small package. PS4 Pro is embarrassingly large in comparison. :)

Absolutely, when it comes to electronics it's very important to me. I don't have a big apartment, I can't clutter it up with huge boxes all over the place (and not needlessly wasting natural resources is also very important to me), which is why the O.G. Xbox back in 2001 was never a consideration for me ever, nor was the O.G. Xbone. They were both gigantic compared to their peers, AND the Xbone had (a very large) external power brick on top as well.

Apple squished a device with the graphics power of what, around half a PS4 or thereabouts IIRC (CPU power might well be more than that, at least for integer) into a device that's little bigger than a short stack of crackers. And it fits that along with internal power supply and a cooling fan, and a set of standard ports on the back.

That's mighty schweet hardware design. Scorpio is getting there though - it packs a lot of stuff into a quite small package. PS4 Pro is embarrassingly large in comparison. :)
Xb1x: 266 in2
Ps4p: 311 in2

Maybe not really embarassing considering the launch time frame. But full power noise figures and wattage are going to be very interesting. They worked on improving efficiency.

Xb1x: 266 in2
Ps4p: 311 in2
A: is that including the xbone power brick?

2: PS4P is big overall, sure, but it can also stand on its side, which makes it take up way less shelf space than the very wide xbone.

2: PS4P is big overall, sure, but it can also stand on its side, which makes it take up way less shelf space than the very wide xbone.
The og xbox one was 565 in2 including the psu. About twice the launch ps4 volume.

It was supposedly the drive which didn't support vertical in the og xb1. Didn't they solve it with the S? Probably the same uhd drive in the X.

Last edited:

The Xbox One S and Xbox One X can stand on it's side too.

The og xbox one was 565 in2 including the psu. About twice the launch ps4 volume.

It was supposedly the drive which didn't support vertical in the og xb1. Didn't they solve it with the S? Probably the same uhd drive in the X.
I think that's correct, or they did not want users to block the fan (when put on it's side). It's been so long ago I don't recall anymore.

I think that's correct, or they did not want users to block the fan (when put on it's side). It's been so long ago I don't recall anymore.
That too, but now I suppose they will warn about using an official stand that can channel the air from that side, or design it so the other side is more than enough air entry.

Yeah curious what it means. Perhaps X1X could emulate these games at higher res than they were originally?...
I don't want to get my hopes up. But if it's anything like that PS3 emulation thread, i would feel really happy about my pre-order into 1X. I didn't really do a lot of console gaming until this gen, so a lot of titles on 360 I did miss out on I would be very pleased to see them in a format better than the original.

I don't want to get my hopes up. But if it's anything like that PS3 emulation thread, i would feel really happy about my pre-order into 1X. I didn't really do a lot of console gaming until this gen, so a lot of titles on 360 I did miss out on I would be very pleased to see them in a format better than the original.

I believe the X will force better af into BC titles anyway which is hopefully going to yield some good results but given the GPU overhead it seems a shame if that is all they manage.

Whilst this is for OG titles techniques they use may well scale across into 360... anyhow there is some hope....

https://www.gamespot.com/amp-articl...xbox-backwards-compatibility-st/1100-6453999/

(Phil Spencer)
He also teased that there are still details about backwards compatibility will work on Xbox One X that have yet to be revealed: "There's some stuff we're going to talk about in that space in terms of how compatibility's going to work on [Xbox One] X specifically that I think people will find pretty interesting.

Middle Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One X enhancements:
SOW-4K-FAQ_17x11_xbox1_R9_X1_ENG.jpg

Middle Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One X enhancements:
SOW-4K-FAQ_17x11_xbox1_R9_X1_ENG.jpg

Nice, so I get from that, there will be...
  • Native 4k with better textures.
  • Reconstruction 4k with a lot of enhanced IQ settings.
  • Both of the above supersampled at 1080p (4k downsampled to 1080p).
Not bad. It'd be nice if there was also a 60 FPS performance mode. Or is the game already 60 FPS?

Regards,
SB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back