Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, that gives a whole new dimension to dynamic resolution.

Likely just a side effect of basically running the same version as XBO with minimal changes and minimal effort.

This is one of those statements you really don't want to be true. If you're supersampling your super-high-res game, you're being horrifcally inefficient. Reconstructive AA is already incredible. Smart shaders that compute properly sampled give better results than brute-forcing. 2x pixels drawn is the idiots way to getting IQ. The same GPU effort could get better IQ and better art. However, if it's just a case of spiking in low loads (looking at the sky box) than it doesn't really matter. Just a side effect of the load balancing. Can't see the point myself other than Internet-destroying PR. Why have moment of 1.2x supersampling when most of the game is native 4k? Why no cap it and give the GPU a breather? ;)

Which is all good if you devote the time to that. For a game that already exists, the simplest explanation is likely the correct one. They just didn't devote much time and effort to getting it running on XBO-X.

Regards,
SB

I wonder if the output resolution is capped at 4k or at your display Resolution... What happens when Xbox next hits an 8k screen, will this scale and be the first "forward compatible" game?

be interesting if they upgrade things like the half rate animation to 60.

possibly. Not much details given. I would imagine since this was a first party title that ran dynamic 1080p that the chances of it being dynamic 4K native is pretty good.

possibly. Not much details given. I would imagine since this was a first party title that ran dynamic 1080p that the chances of it being dynamic 4K native is pretty good.
pretty much a given 4k60 dynamic (although may be rock solid frame rate and rez though)

drip feeding information, in a couple weeks they'll mention forza h3 if it's not been confirmed yet.

They probably only just got the thing updated to the new SDK + max_res changed, and are just trying to figure out what they can do with relatively minimal effort/time.

Asset upgrades would probably require re-downloading everything anyway, so I wouldn't expect much.

Lower hanging fruit ought to be shadow resolution (the non-baked stuff) & LOD management.

Last edited:
They probably only just got the thing updated to the new SDK + max_res changed, and are just trying to figure out what they can do with relatively minimal effort/time.

Asset upgrades would probably require re-downloading everything anyway, so I wouldn't expect much.

Lower hanging fruit ought to be shadow resolution (the non-baked stuff) & LOD management.

Wasn't texture quality also a bit hit and miss with some textures looking good and others not so much? This would potentially be an opportunity to make everything a bit more uniform and consistent in look and quality.

Regards,
SB

I even expect halo mcc to get patched.
4k60 native.
even if that's all it gets, still be nice upgrade.
if they was smart they would go the titanfall 2 route and let it scale up.
"dedicated to your games library, so will even look better on future consoles"

upping settings and tweaking would be nice, but I'm not expecting that for lot of older titles including 1P, but many can get a 4k patch.

gets sticker true 4k, and looks good when goes into gamespass or sales.

Wasn't texture quality also a bit hit and miss with some textures looking good and others not so much? This would potentially be an opportunity to make everything a bit more uniform and consistent in look and quality.

Regards,
SB

Texture quality wasn't that great, even in Halo 5 Forge (barely nothing improved besides rendering resolution). I'm not sure they'd allocate much resources to it given how old the title is.

Texture quality wasn't that great, even in Halo 5 Forge (barely nothing improved besides rendering resolution). I'm not sure they'd allocate much resources to it given how old the title is.
they've got high quality assets available for H5. They used them for their CG videos. So it's definitely there.

I even expect halo mcc to get patched.
4k60 native.
even if that's all it gets, still be nice upgrade.
if they was smart they would go the titanfall 2 route and let it scale up.
"dedicated to your games library, so will even look better on future consoles"

upping settings and tweaking would be nice, but I'm not expecting that for lot of older titles including 1P, but many can get a 4k patch.

gets sticker true 4k, and looks good when goes into gamespass or sales.

ehhh I dunno...I know they did some work with the anniversary editions but other than halo 4 a lot of these games are just too old (rough looking) to bother with 4K..

Also the fact that they are releasing the 360 halos in BC tells me that MCC is probably done with..

ehhh I dunno...I know they did some work with the anniversary editions but other than halo 4 a lot of these games are just too old (rough looking) to bother with 4K..

Also the fact that they are releasing the 360 halos in BC tells me that MCC is probably done with..
the point for me is that if it takes couple hours to get them to 4k why not? Still exclusive tent pole titles.
I don't think bc has much to do with it to be honest. You could say why bother with bc when got mcc.

it may be an older title, but it's still in some bundles, and for much of the same reasons they brought them to bc actually holds for mcc and other titles.

regarding halo 5, wouldn't the assets be authored in much higher quality then scaled down for the game?
so they could possibly go back to the originals and re do them?
not sure if that's how its done, also I don't expect them to do it either, unless its a very easy task to do which I doubt.

I'd like to prefer an "Xbox One X enhanced" version of Halo 5 with better textures and shadows.

What about Quantum Break?

I would love to see a Quantum Break update, but it seems very doubtful. Don't think the game sold well enough to warrant a re-visit, but maybe Scorpio buyers would take a look at it if it was patched.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back