Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
That may also be an issue, but it's absolutely true that they can't sell the product, even as a pre-order, until it gets FCC approval. That's why the FCC listing is so often how we first find out about a product.

That's not a requirement inside the EU where X is also unavailable for pre-order. Regulatory approval is required for sale, yes, but not pre-order.

That's not a requirement inside the EU where X is also unavailable for pre-order. Regulatory approval is required for sale, yes, but not pre-order.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I guess we'll revisit if the FCC approval happens and doesn't open up re-orders or if pre-orders open without the FCC approval.

For now, this is the note on the official promo page on xbox.com.

*This device has not been approved by the Federal Communications Commission. It is not for sale until the FCC approval has been obtained.

Edit: Maybe they are just legally required to put this? Seems odd, though, to put that disclaimer if it isn't going to affect people's actual purchase. If the only purchases possible before Nov 7th are going to be pre-orders, and those aren't affected by the restriction, then the note isn't necessary and by the time it's out as just a straight sale, the note will no longer apply (it'll have gotten approval by then).

Last edited:
smaller but still wider, motherboard shots and measurements derived from USB ports confirmed a wider motherboard which would almost certainly need a wider shell so this was always suspected and here is the proof.

View attachment 2018

Is it just me or does the XBO-X kind of remind you of the PS2?

The XBO-S has that bottom bit directly centered under the top bit and indented all around. The XBO-X has the bottom bit flush with the right and back side of the console, while the top bit overhangs the front and left side.

It's only a very superficial resemblance, but every time I look at the XBO-X, I think of the PS2.

Regards,
SB

Panel on Xbox One X. Some devs on there talking about how it is to work with. The gears dev said they had more overhead left at 4K on Xbox One X than at 1080p on Xbox One S.

LoL, the code name for the Xbox Controller S was called Akebono, after the Hawai'ian sumo wrestling champion Akebono Taro (a VERY large man). :D

Regards,
SB

This is from the presentation that mpg1 linked earlier for those that didn't bother to watch it.

http://gamingbolt.com/gears-of-war-4-took-one-day-to-get-running-on-xbox-one-x

Gears-of-War-4-Xbox-One-X.jpg

Nice to see them show some of the enhancements beyond just a resolution increase for XBO-X. Took them less than a day to get all that up and running.

Contrast that with having to implement checkerboard rendering for 4k which can take weeks. It's easy to see why so many 1st and 3rd party games will get the 4k treatment for XBO-X.

I think what will be interesting to see is whether 3rd parties will also add extra graphical features on top of that as MS are doing with their tittles. Assuming that the title has a PC version that included graphics options higher than console, I can imagine it shouldn't be too difficult for those titles to receive graphical upgrades in addition to 4k assuming the game was 1080p or 900p in the first place.

Regards,
SB

Is it just me or does the XBO-X kind of remind you of the PS2?

The XBO-S has that bottom bit directly centered under the top bit and indented all around. The XBO-X has the bottom bit flush with the right and back side of the console, while the top bit overhangs the front and left side.

It's only a very superficial resemblance, but every time I look at the XBO-X, I think of the PS2.

Regards,
SB
or

Yes it does, I also think the disk slot looks a bit like the PS3 slim for a reason I cannot easily place, this adds to the nostalgic Sony aesthetic

Ltd edition neo blue vertical stand for the first wave of pre orders. ;)

or

Yes it does, I also think the disk slot looks a bit like the PS3 slim for a reason I cannot easily place, this adds to the nostalgic Sony aesthetic

Ltd edition neo blue vertical stand for the first wave of pre orders. ;)

They did say the XB1X will get a vertical stand. Bet it attaches on the side with the notch on the left side. Unfortunately I don't think it comes with the system for free.

Tommy McClain

I have to say Forza 7, the E3 montage at first underwhelmed me, It didn't catch my attention as looking that great. But after looking at DF's look at the game on YT, and turning that up to 4k and fullscreening it, as well as these HDR Gamersyde vids http://www.gamersyde.com/news_videos_gsy_welcomes_hdr-19287_en.html I've now been bit by the 4k bug!

Thing is I dont have a 4k display (yet), both my monitor and Tv are 1080P. However turning up the YT to 4k gets you a higher bitrate, and the HDR vids work fine on my non HDR display and look great (albeit I'm not getting HDR).

I've said it was a misstep for MS to focus on 4k (and I still am certain most games must and should end up checkerboarded) but these vids have pretty much singlehandedly changed my mind about the value of having a few 4K titles for marketing reasons. I now think it's probably a good idea to have at least some token 4K flagship 1st party titles like this! It adds to the ethos.

Thinking this at 4K/60 is driving EIGHT TIMES the load of a 1080P/30 game is astonishing. And XOneX is only some 3.5X as powerful as OG PS4. F7 may not be head and shoulders above other top racing games visually IMO, but it's certainly on par with them while driving that heavy 4K/60 burden. Turn 10 are pretty close to the proverbial wizards. Also for doing native 1080/60 on XBO for that matter in the past.

Thing is I'm not a driving game fan. I wouldn't pay 60 bucks for Forza 7 for sure, but I think at 499, MS should pack this in with Scorpio so people have something "native 4k" to gawk at. At least hopefully there will be a free demo.

Last edited:
They did say the XB1X will get a vertical stand. Bet it attaches on the side with the notch on the left side. Unfortunately I don't think it comes with the system for free.

Tommy McClain

Not usually no but the One S got a limited pre order edition, 2tb HDD including the vertical stand at launch, that was what I was lampooning.

For reference for thoes too young to remember the PS2 stand in all its neon blue glory.

DO0xnA5.jpg

Get a much better impression of how compact Xbox One X is when you see Geoff Keighly and Major Nelson pick it up in this video:

(start at 1:24)

Titanfall 2 will run above 4K at times on X1X:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?p=241590459#post241590459

When it comes to X1X it means there are times it'll render at higher than 4K and then downsample to whatever resolution the X1X is outputting to. Its is truly glorious on a 4K display. This quote will come back to haunt me, I'm sure, but there were times on Wargames last time I was testing where it was rendering at ~3200p (6K?) internally. The internal render resolution is dictated by the GPU load, so obviously there are no guarantees as to how often it renders at particular resolutions, but essentially we're using 100% GPU all the time.

Last edited:
This is one of those statements you really don't want to be true. If you're supersampling your super-high-res game, you're being horrifcally inefficient. Reconstructive AA is already incredible. Smart shaders that compute properly sampled give better results than brute-forcing. 2x pixels drawn is the idiots way to getting IQ. The same GPU effort could get better IQ and better art. However, if it's just a case of spiking in low loads (looking at the sky box) than it doesn't really matter. Just a side effect of the load balancing. Can't see the point myself other than Internet-destroying PR. Why have moment of 1.2x supersampling when most of the game is native 4k? Why no cap it and give the GPU a breather? ;)

It's likely that this was running on a dev kit which has better specs, although GPU spec is only .3Tfflops more I believe?.. Either way I'm the assuming person writing this would be able to take that within context when saying this.

But on the point of it being inefficient in terms of usage of power to achieve best results...yeah...but I bet it's incredibly efficient in the amount of dev time required.

This is one of those statements you really don't want to be true. If you're supersampling your super-high-res game, you're being horrifcally inefficient. Reconstructive AA is already incredible. Smart shaders that compute properly sampled give better results than brute-forcing. 2x pixels drawn is the idiots way to getting IQ. The same GPU effort could get better IQ and better art. However, if it's just a case of spiking in low loads (looking at the sky box) than it doesn't really matter. Just a side effect of the load balancing. Can't see the point myself other than Internet-destroying PR. Why have moment of 1.2x supersampling when most of the game is native 4k? Why no cap it and give the GPU a breather? ;)
might be the game's setup to keep cadence with the CPU?
I would prefer they give the GPU a breather, I don't want the 1X to sound like it's going to fly off my TV unit.

hm... it's fishy though. 4Pro is running ~1440p most of the time without additional PC settings according to DF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back