Microsoft XBOX (XBox One X / Project Scorpio) - Prerelease News and Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.
2.3GHz Jaguar CPU in Q4 2017 sounds very... not good, I was even hoping for a higher clock than 2.3GHz if that was the case... I mean you look at Ryzen, it's probably like 60%+ better IPC and 60% higher clock; still; it will be interesting to see how much their customized part of it affects overall perf against the other consoles and PC ports.
I think this view is oversimplified. The workload of the CPU is being reduced by SHAPE audio and the GPU customisation. People need to look less at the simple overview and more at what's actually achieved.

So from what I heard today it seems like Microsoft is expecting games that are even 900p on Xbox One should hit native 4K on Scorpio?

Is possible to summon Sebbi or anybody with the same level of knowledge and comment on this,

However, potentially the most exciting aspect surrounding the CPU revamp doesn't actually relate to the processor blocks at all, but rather to the GPU command processor - the piece of hardware that receives instructions from the CPU, piping them through to the graphics core.

"We essentially moved Direct3D 12," says Goossen. "We built that into the command processor of the GPU and what that means is that, for all the high frequency API invocations that the games do, they'll all natively implemented in the logic of the command processor - and what this means is that our communication from the game to the GPU is super-efficient."

Processing draw calls - effectively telling the graphics hardware what to draw - is one of the most important tasks the CPU carries out. It can suck up a lot of processor resources, a pipeline that traditionally takes thousands - perhaps hundreds of thousands - of CPU instructions. With Scorpio's hardware offload, any draw call can be executed with just 11 instructions, and just nine for a state change.

Thanks.

Not expecting, but more already seeing that, and with some power to spare even.

Enviado de meu SM-G610M usando Tapatalk

Well Forza ran @ 1080p on Xbox One. So going from 900p will take extra but it's sounds like there will be just enough probably.

Is possible to summon Sebbi or anybody with the same level of knowledge and comment on this,

However, potentially the most exciting aspect surrounding the CPU revamp doesn't actually relate to the processor blocks at all, but rather to the GPU command processor - the piece of hardware that receives instructions from the CPU, piping them through to the graphics core.

"We essentially moved Direct3D 12," says Goossen. "We built that into the command processor of the GPU and what that means is that, for all the high frequency API invocations that the games do, they'll all natively implemented in the logic of the command processor - and what this means is that our communication from the game to the GPU is super-efficient."

Processing draw calls - effectively telling the graphics hardware what to draw - is one of the most important tasks the CPU carries out. It can suck up a lot of processor resources, a pipeline that traditionally takes thousands - perhaps hundreds of thousands - of CPU instructions. With Scorpio's hardware offload, any draw call can be executed with just 11 instructions, and just nine for a state change.

Thanks.
Start here:
Digital Foundry Microsoft Xbox Scorpio Reveal [2017-04-06]

Read forward from that point. check out the DICE slides and read DeanoC 101 on CP

the cpu is fine by me, 'cos of dedicated audio processor and command processor silicon, but I was so hyped... That hardware on a PC is really fine, so I there is me hoping the green and blue lines of the SoC mean something..
The CPU is fine for me when I consider the likely cost of the hardware. I'm confident this new machine will be less than 500 which is critical considering where we are at in the generation.

You're only saying that because you're crazy with grief that it's not a Zen core. :nope:
:cry::cry::cry::cry: I still need a hug. DSoup embrace me.

ProspectorPete was kinda right, just somehow, but right overall. That is called prospector sight. There is some nice stuff in the CPU department though, while not being Zen.

The customization for the Jaguar was customized not so much like hardware but more-so like baked in software that takes a lot of the load off of it. This thing is gonna run just like a PC running DX12.

The DX12 takes a lot of the load off the CPU and uses it much much more efficiently than DX11.

As DF/Rich stated in the vid when he asked "Is it a Jaguar CPU?", then answered his own question by saying "Well, it is and it isn't", then stated "I never seen anything like it before"... Yes its based off the x86 but highly customized and built specifically to work with its surrounding components, with the DX12 taking 50% of the load off the CPU for much higher power output. When he compared this to the Ryzen performance speeds the Scorpio's core processor runs almost right up there with. MS customized the SH*T out this thing for optimal performance.

another picture, this time from Major Nelson, with the green lines and the blue lines. It is becoming recurrent.

scorptech-memory-on1.png

my current wallpaper.

wallpaper.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a couple of questions, and I'm not sure they are "techie" enough for that forum.

First - the DF commentary makes mention that they ran the Forza Tech Demo at settings equivalent to PC on Ultra settings. What? Is that because the tech demo has those settings because it was based on the PC version? I've never seen an option on any XB1 game to select my graphics settings. Additionally, those settings usually include other things in addition to larger textures such as physics and shaders, etc. This is why I sometimes laugh when people say that higher resolutions at lower settings are superior than lower resolutions at higher settings in PC discussions. There's actual environmental actions that change, not just the number of pixels.

Second - a bit related to the first. How can 900p games be scaled up to 4k resolutions? In order for that to happen, wouldn't the textures need to be there at that size detail to begin with? Why would they exist in 360 or XB1 games if those consoles were never able to output at those resolutions? All they would do is take up additional space and cause increased loading times for zero benefit. I can understand if some games also have PC ports so the assets exist and would simply need to be downloaded or patched into the Scorpio, but I don't see that as the case for most titles.

Can somebody shed some light on these for me?

Thanks

Second - a bit related to the first. How can 900p games be scaled up to 4k resolutions? In order for that to happen, wouldn't the textures need to be there at that size detail to begin with? Why would they exist in 360 or XB1 games if those consoles were never able to output at those resolutions?
They don't need to be, but it's possible that the highest texture mipmap level isn't even sampled in general unless the screen space area of that textured object and/or AF setting is sufficient.

Wait so this means I scored 4/4 in my guess for the
Xbox Scorpio Hardware Prediction Thread
I can't take all the credit though, I have to give some to Eastmen, as I've noticed one thing on these forums over the years no matter whatever he predicts, the opposite eventuates :oops:

I've got a couple of questions, and I'm not sure they are "techie" enough for that forum.

First - the DF commentary makes mention that they ran the Forza Tech Demo at settings equivalent to PC on Ultra settings. What? Is that because the tech demo has those settings because it was based on the PC version? I've never seen an option on any XB1 game to select my graphics settings. Additionally, those settings usually include other things in addition to larger textures such as physics and shaders, etc. This is why I sometimes laugh when people say that higher resolutions at lower settings are superior than lower resolutions at higher settings in PC discussions. There's actual environmental actions that change, not just the number of pixels.

Second - a bit related to the first. How can 900p games be scaled up to 4k resolutions? In order for that to happen, wouldn't the textures need to be there at that size detail to begin with? Why would they exist in 360 or XB1 games if those consoles were never able to output at those resolutions? All they would do is take up additional space and cause increased loading times for zero benefit. I can understand if some games also have PC ports so the assets exist and would simply need to be downloaded or patched into the Scorpio, but I don't see that as the case for most titles.

Can somebody shed some light on these for me?

Thanks
a) the game engines are designed to be able to do more, sometimes for photo mode, or replays, or advertising, sometimes for PC etc. They have all these additional graphical options that would crush performance during gameplay so they are disabled.
The demo picture you saw was Forza Apex running at XBO settings. Hence the 66% GPU utilization. Leveraging PC Ultra it hits 88%

b) There is not scaling. They're asking developers to create a patch to change the frame buffer to 4K, and to release 4K textures if they have them.

c) If there is no patch at all, then the game just runs boosted, so max frames, and if dynamic resolution, max resolution (1080p). The only thing forced appears to be 16xAF regardless if there is patch or not? So I imagine this is an OS feature override.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back