Microsoft Xbox Series X|S Storage Cards

Ok so this is just ridiculous. Not just the price of the expansion, but also the cost difference between US and Europe.
The $220 they charge in the US is 190€. We're paying a 42% premium. There's no extra warranty, US federal/state taxes and distribution costs that justifies this difference.

Yeah, the weird conversion rates are just completely unpredictable...

How much is VAT in the UK? I think the UK price includes it while the US price doesn't include any taxes because the US tax system is so messed.

Do keep in mind that the next gen consoles all have hardware decompression and should have smaller install sizes as textures will all be compressed, 2:1 on average right? Plus the removal of duplicate data to improve loading on HDDs. So while it's still going to be an issue, especially long term, you shouldn't base sizes off of the existing consoles. Though we can look at Xbox One S vs Xbox One X install sizes for relative difference as that same dynamic was in play for games that had 4k support.

Ok so this is just ridiculous. Not just the price of the expansion, but also the cost difference between US and Europe.
The $220 they charge in the US is 190€. We're paying a 42% premium. There's no extra warranty, US federal/state taxes and distribution costs that justifies this difference.

Well the VAT in the EU ranges from 16% (Germany) to 27% (Hungary). That would be a range of 208.8 Euros to 241.3 Euros.

Since there's just one price advertised for the EU, then they're obviously going to use the 241.3 Euros as a base. Blame the EU for having to have VAT hidden in the price versus the US where Tax is displayed to the consumer separately so that the consumer always knows how much of that direct transaction is going to the government.

Now, companies will also want to build in a currency exchange buffer. That will differ by company and what currency that company uses as its base currency. So that's likely to bring into the 250+ range. Then we don't know what cost of sales expenses are like in the EU compared to the US. So that likely accounts for any remaining bits.

Regards,
SB

Well the VAT in the EU ranges from 16% (Germany) to 27% (Hungary). That would be a range of 208.8 Euros to 241.3 Euros.

Since there's just one price advertised for the EU, then they're obviously going to use the 241.3 Euros as a base. Blame the EU for having to have VAT hidden in the price versus the US where Tax is displayed to the consumer separately so that the consumer always knows how much of that direct transaction is going to the government.

- That's the french site. In France the VAT is 20%.

- EU countries don't have to have the VAT hidden. I don't know where you got this information but it doesn't even make sense, as many businesses don't pay VAT. The EU simply requires for stores to say whether or not VAT is included. It's about transparency and consumer protection, not secrecy.

- Prices vary according to VAT in many re/etailers that sell to different countries in the EU, such as Amazon. If I go to the spanish Amazon and put an item in my cart, they then detect a portuguese billing address and adjust the VAT accordingly. Microsoft doesn't have to apply one price to all EU countries.

Blame the EU for having to have VAT hidden in the price versus the US where Tax is displayed to the consumer separately so that the consumer always knows how much of that direct transaction is going to the government.
The price is what you pay, the VAT is always clearly shown in transactions. The only people who care about non-VAT pricing are businesses and there will be scant few of those trying to buy consoles through retail launch channels.

The price is what you pay, the VAT is always clearly shown in transactions. The only people who care about non-VAT pricing are businesses and there will be scant few of those trying to buy consoles through retail launch channels.

Ah, my mistake then for thinking it is due to how often this bloody topic comes up on these forums with people constantly comparing prices including VAT to prices that don't include taxes.

People in Europe are certainly different than people in the US. While not everyone cares about how much money goes to the government with each purchase many do.

Regards,
SB

Blame the EU for having to have VAT hidden in the price versus the US where Tax is displayed to the consumer separately so that the consumer always knows how much of that direct transaction is going to the government.

We're pretty open about that here too.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20200926-105544_Outlook.jpg
    SmartSelect_20200926-105544_Outlook.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 16
Wow! I thought I had paid a lot in taxes on my Series X pre-order: 10.25%=$51.25. My combined rate is not the highest in the nation, supposedly it's 12.95% in Tullos, Louisana. However, it's tied with what's considered the highest rate of large cities like Chicago, Illinois & Long Beach, California & I live in rural Arkansas!:runaway: At least my other taxes like income, real estate & personal property are low. I just can't believe there's a 75€ VAT in Europe. That currently converts to $87.23US!! Hope you don't get taxed on other stuff.

Tommy McClain

Wow! I thought I had paid a lot in taxes on my Series X pre-order: 10.25%=$51.25. My combined rate is not the highest in the nation, supposedly it's 12.95% in Tullos, Louisana. However, it's tied with what's considered the highest rate of large cities like Chicago, Illinois & Long Beach, California & I live in rural Arkansas!:runaway: At least my other taxes like income, real estate & personal property are low. I just can't believe there's a 75€ VAT in Europe. That currently converts to $87.23US!! Hope you don't get taxed on other stuff.

Tommy McClain

I'll take free healthcare for $1000 Alex.

I went ahead and sent an email the other day to Seagate Support for future products asking what kind of NAND the Xbox Expansion used. After getting shuffled around multiple people who didn't know what I was talking about, someone just sent me a reply with a link to the Seagate Xbox Expansion page and stated "This is all the publicly available information." Figured it was worth a try. No free lunch.

Not sure if this has already been posted but Yikes! That's probably more than I'm willing to spend personally. Looks like I'll just be managing the space I have lol.

upload_2020-10-7_14-10-14.png

@VitaminB6 , Yeah, already discussed in other threads back in September or so.

There is good news, in that for non-SeriesX|S optimized titles (IE: BC titles from Xbox One X, Xbox One, X360, and original Xbox) using an external USB SSD is nearly as fast as the internal NVME.

@VitaminB6 , Yeah, already discussed in other threads back in September or so.

There is good news, in that for non-SeriesX|S optimized titles (IE: BC titles from Xbox One X, Xbox One, X360, and original Xbox) using an external USB SSD is nearly as fast as the internal NVME.
And apparently it does get hot according to some Xbox influencers(even while in standby mode).

And apparently it does get hot according to some Xbox influencers(even while in standby mode).
yup. But if they can touch it and hold it as in you just ripped it out of the console right after it's off etc. It's technically running cool. You wouldn't pull that trick on a PC. Good bye fingers.

These drives are meant to operate as high as 70 where throttling begins somewhere between 70-100.
Most people would find 50C scalding at first touch. At the very least very hot.
So I think with a heat gun we're probably going to find the expansion sub 60. Unless you got dishwasher hands, then, well lol, I guess you can handle holding 60 and just consider it hot.

yup. But if they can touch it and hold it as in you just ripped it out of the console right after it's off etc. It's technically running cool. You wouldn't pull that trick on a PC. Good bye fingers.

These drives are meant to operate as high as 70 where throttling begins somewhere between 70-100.
Most people would find 50C scalding at first touch. At the very least very hot.
So I think with a heat gun we're probably going to find the expansion sub 60. Unless you got dishwasher hands, then, well lol, I guess you can handle holding 60 and just consider it hot.
Yep, seems the console runs hot too though.

Back