Microsoft Xbox Series X|S Storage Cards

Maybe, but I didn't mention controllers. This is a figment of this dude's imagination.
I think he is saying that you are wrong that their hidden money making scheme was storage. He is claiming that it was the controllers. So you didn't mention it. he is saying your theory is wrong but his controller theory is right. Does that help clear it up ?

There are no temperature specs for NVMe drives. Again, one of Microsoft's competitors that supports faster (ego hotter) NVMe drives does not stipulate any thermal limits, bit it's recommended to use drives that work in the CE equipment temperature range of the console.

I have not mentioned controllers. Nobody has. Quit with the bullshit.
MS was concerned with throttling of these SSD drives when overheated. I don't know enough about the PS5 design in relation to cooling their nvme expansion card but I assume the internal cooling flow covers that.

You mentioned a money making scheme and claimed that it is the storage cards.

I just tried to help you out by mentioning a scheme which I believe actually exist for your future anti xbox advocacy:).

For the people who didn't understand the obsolescence reference. It's about the limited lifetime of these controllers which forces people to replace them often. Old Original/360 controllers were pretty much indestructible.

Old Original/360 controllers were pretty much indestructible.
And easier to disassemble.

Btw wireless x360 controllers have defective design in the battery compartment. The metal can become too weak to keep pressure. Easy fix by bending them back tho.

Wired x360 controller on the other hand are overengineered. It got breakout usb cable (on the one end with usb port). It got weak point armor (the one end on the controller)

I don’t follow this at all. The same controllers from 2013 Xbox One still work on current-generation consoles for all games. Maybe you're thinking of Sony that requires brand new controllers for the PS5 games?
Heck, I used Xbox 360 controller to play Xbox seres s.

PC with x360 controller
PC remoteplay Xbox series s

Bam. Play Xbox seres s on TV with Xbox 360 controller.

PC can be replaced with phones.

MS was concerned with throttling of these SSD drives when overheated.
When did Microsoft say this?

I don't know enough about the PS5 design in relation to cooling their nvme expansion card but I assume the internal cooling flow covers that.
There is nothing to cool any inserted NVMe drive in the PS5. The enclave is cut off from the ventilation elsewhere in the console so the only thermal management is the user's choice on whether to use a cooler or not.

You mentioned a money making scheme and claimed that it is the sttually exist for your future anti xbox advocacy:).
As a Series X owner who has to pay more for slower storage in my Xbox than my PlayStation, I feel it's fair to fall out this decision for the money-making bullshit that is obviously is.

When did Microsoft say this?

Back then engineers mentioning it when making sure it provides the transfer rate all the time.

As a Series X owner who has to pay more for slower storage in my Xbox than my PlayStation, I feel it's fair to fall out this decision for the money-making bullshit that is obviously is.

It apparently was a mistake but I understand why they made that one.

From the complete discussion in this thread, I don't think it is. The smaller form factor is itself more expensive, and MS struck a deal for supply. The intention seems to be for a particular functionality (simplicity and portability) which necessitated a higher price. Many/most might disagree with that choice, but the choice and consequential costs seem fair and reasonable. If it's truly a proprietary-format money-making scheme, we won't see competing products push pricing down.

As for prior precedent, generation to generation is so long, you can't be sure the decision making one generation follows the patterns of a previous. Where a choice may be high-price-for-high-profit-margins one generation, the next might see high-price-because-that's-what-it-cost.

Many/most might disagree with that choice, but the choice and consequential costs seem fair and reasonable.
Fair and reasonable? Storage for Xbox is almost twice as expensive for the same capacity as PlayStation, and about half the speed.

If it's truly a proprietary-format money-making scheme, we won't see competing products push pricing down.
What competing products are pushing pricing down? And yes, it's a proprietary interface. For a while it was actually possible to replace the 2230 NVMe drive snide the Series X but Microsoft locked down the firmware for not approved drives a few months back.

Fair and reasonable? Storage for Xbox is almost twice as expensive for the same capacity as PlayStation, and about half the speed.
Yes, but as the source hardware is more expensive, the mark-up hasn't been that disingenuous. The worst part seems to be a Seagate exclusivity deal to start with.
What competing products are pushing pricing down? And yes, it's a proprietary interface.
None yet because there aren't new products. We'll see where the market is in a couple of years as to whether MS locked in pricing or not. Currently it's too early to say.

Yes, but as the source hardware is more expensive, the mark-up hasn't been that disingenuous. The worst part seems to be a Seagate exclusivity deal to start with.
The memory cards have been disassembled and they are using standard parts; SK Hynix NAND flash and a Phison PCIe 4.0

None yet because there aren't new products. We'll see where the market is in a couple of years as to whether MS locked in pricing or not. Currently it's too early to say.
Possibly because nobody wants to make a bespoke part for such a small user base?

The memory cards have been disassembled and they are using standard parts; SK Hynix NAND flash and a Phison PCIe 4.0
Yes. And the component costs are higher - 2230 SSDs aren't massively cheaper than the price these expansions are selling for as revealed in this thread. In the article you link it even suggests...

"After this teardown, the price of the 1TB Seagate Expansion Card seems fair. SK Hynix is selling a 1TB NVME SSD with read/writes of 3,500/3,200 MB per second for $135 that uses its 128-layer NAND. But that is in a larger form-factor PCIe 3.0 NVME. So it’s likely using two 500GB chips, and it definitely isn’t using the PCIe 4.0 Phison controller."

Single chip 2230 SSDs are just more expensive. eg. £110 for WD SN740 SSD versus as low as £50 for 2280 SSDs, cf. £150 for official expansion. The new WD expansion looks set to be a bit cheaper than the Seagate.

Possibly because nobody wants to make a bespoke part for such a small user base?
Yes. Which is a limiting factor in cost reduction. But with more devices using the 2230 form factor, like the Steam Deck and high end tablets, hopefully prices will come down. And though a limited market size for the part, margins for manufacturers are likely more than the highly competitive SSD space so there's reason to enter the market.

This has all been covered over the past few weeks discussion right here. Hence I'm surprised someone can look at the component costs and market situation and conclude this is 'money making bullshit'.

Microsoft should be getting *much* better deals on their created scale for these drives.

Prices for these are insane in the midst of this flash price crash.

Microsoft should be getting *much* better deals on their created scale for these drives.

Prices for these are insane in the midst of this flash price crash.

It takes time for price changes to make its way through the channel of product. Likely the nand and controllers for these were made prior to the crash. Right now a 2230 m.2 is about $80-100 for 1tb and 150-190 for a 2TB. So MS is off by about $50 .

Back