Microsoft Xbox One X (XBOX) Reviews and Impressions

Here's what TrueAchievements had to say about Noise Levels, Xbox One X compared to Xbox One (launch model):

Noise Levels
What about noise? We found that the fan noise on the Xbox One X was slightly louder when the console was under load — 50 decibels compared to 46 — but conversely quieter when the fan wasn’t running at 42 decibels compared to 44. The fan is not constantly running during gameplay, so there’s an initial period of noise for the first couple of minutes of a game, but as soon as that stops then the console is relatively quiet.

Across all of those tests, the Xbox One X maxed out at 56.4 decibels, compared to 55.5 decibels for the old console. However, over a ten-minute period, we recorded a slightly lower average decibel score on the new console: 47.3 decibels against 48.4 on the original Xbox One.

Here's what TrueAchievements had to say about Noise Levels, Xbox One X compared to Xbox One (launch model):

Noise Levels
What about noise? We found that the fan noise on the Xbox One X was slightly louder when the console was under load — 50 decibels compared to 46 — but conversely quieter when the fan wasn’t running at 42 decibels compared to 44. The fan is not constantly running during gameplay, so there’s an initial period of noise for the first couple of minutes of a game, but as soon as that stops then the console is relatively quiet.

Across all of those tests, the Xbox One X maxed out at 56.4 decibels, compared to 55.5 decibels for the old console. However, over a ten-minute period, we recorded a slightly lower average decibel score on the new console: 47.3 decibels against 48.4 on the original Xbox One.
DF also said that they are very positively surprised with the low noise of the thing when under load, which they noticed when they launched Gears of War 4 and the console reached 175W of power consumption, so Microsoft gave a bit punch over the table and asserted the superiority of the console

3b366212a6a22d1558079507d4cc38ff619470a5ce81a0e3d160f4bb78bd3763.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Step one is to look up what 56dbA is supposed to sound like to the human ear.

Step two is to choose between:
- Full-of-shit numbers for click money
- Scientific Incompetence
- xb1x is actually is that loud

At max volume. Yea. That can be loud. At average, the 47.4dbA seems more within reason.
True Achievements is not... DF though. So. A little of A and a little of B

At max volume. Yea. That can be loud. At average, the 47.4dbA seems more within reason.
True Achievements is not... DF though. So. A little of A and a little of B
Yeah, back when Richard was trying to test stuff he was very honest about the limitations of the environment. Awesome guy trying to get to the truth.

But consider that 25dbA is a person whispering at 3 feet. 60dbA is a conversation in a restaurant or an air conditionning compressor/fan...

I have a high-end projector that was tested professionally at 22dbA@1m and I can hear it about equally as a modern console. I also have an instrumentation mic with a noise floor of 30dbA which I used for speaker crossover designs... Getting anywhere near 20db from any instrument is way above $1000 just for the mic! Almost everyone measuring stuff are cooking the books... If you know what I mean. I trust subjective comparisons by ear in the same environment, but forget numbers.

Yeah, back when Richard was trying to test stuff he was very honest about the limitations of the environment. Awesome guy trying to get to the truth.

But consider that 25dbA is a person whispering at 3 feet. 60dbA is a conversation in a restaurant or an air conditionning compressor/fan...

I have a high-end projector that was tested professionally at 22dbA@1m and I can hear it about equally as a modern console. I also have an instrumentation mic with a noise floor of 30dbA which I used for speaker crossover designs... Getting anywhere near 20db from any instrument is way above $1000 just for the mic! Almost everyone measuring stuff are cooking the books... If you know what I mean. I trust subjective comparisons by ear in the same environment, but forget numbers.
Cell phone measurements :) heheh

A couple reviews have noise charts. Looks to be more or less Xbox One S noise. So that's pretty great. I'm fairly relieved.
Centrifugal fans collect dust like crazy so you may find you need o clean this a bit more to keep it dust free. Or you buy some dust filters and cut them and place them over the vents. :yes:

I completely agree. For me the take away wasn't the numbers they specified but the relative closeness of Xbox One x to original launch Xbox One. If either was truely 56dbA everyone would be complaining about the jet engine noise in their gaming setup, just like the 60mm Delta Screamers onced used in PC overclocking setups decades ago. :runaway:

I completely agree. For me the take away wasn't the numbers they specified but the relative closeness of Xbox One x to original launch Xbox One. If either was truely 56dbA everyone would be complaining about the jet engine noise in their gaming setup, just like the 60mm Delta Screamers onced used in PC overclocking setups decades ago. :runaway:
As inaccurate as it is, at least it somewhat worked. I can make some good imaginations of it noise level.

I think when people try to tell me how hot a pepper is with the Scoville scale I have no clue what's going on. It just seems like there is pain all over after a certain number.

Centrifugal fans collect dust like crazy so you may find you need o clean this a bit more to keep it dust free. Or you buy some dust filters and cut them and place them over the vents. :yes:
Yea I may attempt a makeshift dust filter. But those need to be cleaned regularly :)

That's quite a saving. AC Origins loading time cut almost in half on X compared to S (not 4K assets). From a minute down to 35 secs.

From Maka's Loading Time comparison video (for those who can't watch videos) ...

"for every minute of loading on the Xbox One S I would see approximately 30 to 40 seconds of loading on the Xbox One X"
"I tried this test on more games like Forza Motorsport 7 and Halo 5 and found more or less mixed results. It really depended on what the game was doing with it's enhancements and what was being loaded, whether it was a lot of graphis or a lot of physics it made a big difference"

Game, Console, Mode, Loading Time
Assassins Creed Origins, Xbox One S, Standard, 59.83s
Assassins Creed Origins, Xbox One X, Standard, 35.83s
---
Destiny 2, Xbox One S, Standard, 34.83s
Destiny 2, Xbox One X, Standard, 22.83s
---
Super Lucky's Tale, Xbox One S, 1080p, 50.63s
Super Lucky's Tale, Xbox One X, 1080p SS, 39.47s
Super Lucky's Tale, Xbox One X, 4K, 39.47s
---
Gears of War 4, Xbox One S, 1080p, 32.53s
Gears of War 4, Xbox One X, 1080p SS, 31.17s
Gears of War 4, Xbox One X, 4K, 35.47s
---
Read Dead Redemption X360 BC, Xbox One S, Standard, 32.27s
Read Dead Redemption X360 BC, Xbox One X, X-Enhanced, 25.97s

Xbox One X Drive Comparisons (Hard Reset between Tests), negligible differences
1TB Internal, Sniper Ghost Warrior, 35.33s
2TB SLIM External, Sniper Ghost Warrior, 36.13s
8TB Hub External, Sniper Ghost Warrior,35.87s
1TB Internal, HitMan, 34.80s
2TB SLIM External, HitMan, 34.80s
8TB Hub External, HitMan, 34.80s

Game Installation from Disc and No Network Patches (within margin of error)
Xbox One S, EA Sports NHL18, 22m49s
Xbox One X, EA Sports NHL18, 23m24s

upload_2017-11-4_13-37-30.png

From Maka's Loading Time comparison video (for those who can't watch videos) ...

"for every minute of loading on the Xbox One S I would see approximately 30 to 40 seconds of loading on the Xbox One X"
"I tried this test on more games like Forza Motorsport 7 and Halo 5 and found more or less mixed results. It really depended on what the game was doing with it's enhancements and what was being loaded, whether it was a lot of graphis or a lot of physics it made a big difference"

Game, Console, Mode, Loading Time
Assassins Creed Origins, Xbox One S, Standard, 59.83s
Assassins Creed Origins, Xbox One X, Standard, 35.83s
---
Destiny 2, Xbox One S, Standard, 34.83s
Destiny 2, Xbox One X, Standard, 22.83s
---
Super Lucky's Tale, Xbox One S, 1080p, 50.63s
Super Lucky's Tale, Xbox One X, 1080p SS, 39.47s
Super Lucky's Tale, Xbox One X, 4K, 39.47s
---
Gears of War 4, Xbox One S, 1080p, 32.53s
Gears of War 4, Xbox One X, 1080p SS, 31.17s
Gears of War 4, Xbox One X, 4K, 35.47s
---
Read Dead Redemption X360 BC, Xbox One S, Standard, 32.27s
Read Dead Redemption X360 BC, Xbox One X, X-Enhanced, 25.97s

Xbox One X Drive Comparisons (Hard Reset between Tests), negligible differences
1TB Internal, Sniper Ghost Warrior, 35.33s
2TB SLIM External, Sniper Ghost Warrior, 36.13s
8TB Hub External, Sniper Ghost Warrior,35.87s
1TB Internal, HitMan, 34.80s
2TB SLIM External, HitMan, 34.80s
8TB Hub External, HitMan, 34.80s

Game Installation from Disc and No Network Patches (within margin of error)
Xbox One S, EA Sports NHL18, 22m49s
Xbox One X, EA Sports NHL18, 23m24s

View attachment 2275

Sucks that install times not improved. Something they will need to work on for their next device.

Sucks that install times not improved. Something they will need to work on for their next device.
given the reports of the rise of digital, I'm not sure they'll care by then.
not saying it will ship without a drive though.

As inaccurate as it is, at least it somewhat worked. I can make some good imaginations of it noise level.

I think when people try to tell me how hot a pepper is with the Scoville scale I have no clue what's going on. It just seems like there is pain all over after a certain number.
Well no, too many red flags. It will vary by +/-10db or more between two different consoles just based on the mic placement, angle, height. They get these ludicrous high db numbers because they place the mic closer and closer until it registers something. They must be a few inches from the console case, and since there are multiple vents and noise sources combined at wildly different distances, that makes the comparison even worse than just by ear. They always fool around with the setup until they get numbers that look good for their article.

After a few weeks we start getting a general idea from the user impressions, among which we always get this one guy saying it's a lawnmower and another saying it's so quiet he's using as a pillow while playing.:runaway:

Well no, too many red flags. It will vary by +/-10db or more between two different consoles just based on the mic placement, angle, height. They get these ludicrous high db numbers because they place the mic closer and closer until it registers something. They must be a few inches from the console case, and since there are multiple vents and noise sources combined at wildly different distances, that makes the comparison even worse than just by ear. They always fool around with the setup until they get numbers that look good for their article.

After a few weeks we start getting a general idea from the user impressions, among which we always get this one guy saying it's a lawnmower and another saying it's so quiet he's using as a pillow while playing.:runaway:
And then factor in echo and white noise.
Absolutely. Lots of issues. But if their method is ...somewhat consistent in terms of process; between two reference points and I know the value of 1 reference point, I can get a rough idea.

It would be easier I guess for people to say whisper quiet etc. But the amount of ambient noise becomes an issue. It's also dependent on how well that person can hear.

With the same instruments and process we get bad results, but they are consistently bad results. At least I look at it that way.

They should really measure from 6 feet or so at head level from a sitting position, or something like that. Typical setup would be near the tv. Need a very quiet room though.

Back