Microsoft XBOX Mouse and Keyboard Support *split*

There was a mouse and keyboard that worked on the original PlayStation? :oops:
Might have remembered wrong, it could have been just mouse.
Quite bit different experience to just joypad anyway.

There was decent support for it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Mouse
Sony had plans to release modem and keyboard/mouse adaptor, but it didn't happen.

ps2&3 had KB/M support, but sadly developer support was not as strong as it was on ps1 mouse.

Would love to see Microsoft's new push to bring KB/M to more games, it would be awesome for games like Sims4 and such which have not been redesigned for keypad.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, KM is imo a real problem in ranked console shooters.

In OW it is really annoying. It surely gives an unfair advantage at higher levels of play.

I wish there was a way to separate gamepad from KM players, or give the dev the option to downright ban KM in their game.

Furthermore, lots of very good gamepad players suffer due to being accused of using KM...but they are just highly skilled.

In OW it is really annoying. It surely gives an unfair advantage at higher levels of play.

I wish there was a way to separate gamepad from KM players, or give the dev the option to downright ban KM in their game.

Furthermore, lots of very good gamepad players suffer due to being accused of using KM...but they are just highly skilled.

With official keyboard/mouse support, it would be easy to separate players. The problem is XIM.

Does it really matter if matchmaking is working as intended :?: If the game is popular enough, chances are there's a suitably sized population such that the high scoring players simply get lumped together.

Besides, input type isn't a guarantee of actual skill. ;)

The setup environment that would be ideal for KBM (i.e. desktop) might make it a moot point. I have a coffee table in front of the TV, but it's not the right height, so I'm not sure I'd actually do any better in-game. Lap desks are something else, but I think at that point, the person is already dead set on KBM anyway. *shrug*

Devs could also attach a KBM icon of sorts to the in-game avatars if it's just about bragging & glory ("that guy's at the top, but oh he has the KBM symbol"). Gears of War 4 has a computer monitor icon that gets overlaid on top of the lobby avatar for PC gamers, not that it means a whole lot since you can still use a gamepad (the icon doesn't go away).

Gears crossplay.jpg

Last edited:
Does it really matter if matchmaking is working as intended :?: If the game is popular enough, chances are there's a suitably sized population such that the high scoring players simply get lumped together.

Besides, input type isn't a guarantee of actual skill. ;)

The setup environment that would be ideal for KBM (i.e. desktop) might make it a moot point. I have a coffee table in front of the TV, but it's not the right height, so I'm not sure I'd actually do any better in-game. Lap desks are something else, but I think at that point, the person is already dead set on KBM anyway. *shrug*

Devs could also attach a KBM icon of sorts to the in-game avatars if it's just about bragging & glory ("that guy's at the top, but oh he has the KBM symbol"). Gears of War 4 has a computer monitor icon that gets overlaid on top of the lobby avatar for PC gamers, not that it means a whole lot since you can still use a gamepad (the icon doesn't go away).

View attachment 2394

I believe there's a bit of a mis-assumption that keyboard and mouse players will automatically have an advantage. With aim-assist, mid to low level players on gamepads may outperform similar players on keyboard and mouse. I believe on PC this was the case with Destiny, but may be balanced now. The difference is at the high to elite level players, where keyboard and mouse will have a big advantage. Now, if the gamepad control doesn't feature aim-assist, then keyboard and mouse will absolutely wipe the floor with them at all levels.

I believe there's a bit of a mis-assumption that keyboard and mouse players will automatically have an advantage. With aim-assist, mid to low level players on gamepads may outperform similar players on keyboard and mouse. I believe on PC this was the case with Destiny, but may be balanced now. The difference is at the high to elite level players, where keyboard and mouse will have a big advantage. Now, if the gamepad control doesn't feature aim-assist, then keyboard and mouse will absolutely wipe the floor with them at all levels.

One thing that I'm running into constantly is that aim assist on the PC version of Destiny 2 actually makes my shooting far worse as the weapon isn't necessarily hitting what I'm aiming at.

A key example is if a weapon has a high aim assist value and the enemy is hiding behind cover of some sort, especially a wall. Part of their body is exposed and it's quite easy to aim for it and hit it...if aim assist didn't insist on trying to hit the head that is behind the wall.

This constantly makes me waste ammo as my muscle reflexes just assume, I'm going to hit what I'm aiming at and not what the game thinks I should be aiming at. It is frustrating as hell and I hate it.

There are other inconsistencies with aim assist and targeting in Destiny 2 that make it a less than satisfying shooter on PC.

Hopefully if M/KB becomes commonly supported in games on console, there will also be an option to completely disable aim assist.

Regards,
SB

Last edited:
Every game allows to highly adjust controls and aim assist...so yes, KM and Xim offer a tremendous advantage regarding the mechanical skill. Not game sense/strategy/etc of course...that is of obvious!

Are “we” really unsure about that?!? Fuck sake, since trump is at the red button...the world is not the same anymore!

One thing that I'm running into constantly is that aim assist on the PC version of Destiny 2 actually makes my shooting far worse as the weapon isn't necessarily hitting what I'm aiming at.

A key example is if a weapon has a high aim assist value and is hiding behind cover of some sort, especially a wall. Part of their body is exposed and it's quite easy to aim for it and hit it...if aim assist didn't insist on trying to hit the head that is behind the wall.

This constantly makes me waste ammo as my muscle reflexes just assume, I'm going to hit what I'm aiming at and not what the game thinks I should be aiming at. It is frustrating as hell and I hate it.

There are other inconsistencies with aim assist and targeting in Destiny 2 that make it a less than satisfying shooter on PC.

Hopefully if M/KB becomes commonly supported in games on console, there will also be an option to completely disable aim assist.

Regards,
SB

Switch off aim assist?

Switch off aim assist?

I wish I could, but in Destiny 2 on PC you can't. There is no setting in there that affects aim assist.

Also, since I just had to log onto my character to check. What is this crap where you have to log into a character to change any freaking settings? Ugh. Bungie are so incompetent nowadays.

So the best I can do is attempt to find the weapons with the least amount of aim assist. But that doesn't help much since all weapons have some degree of aim assist. Pure BS, IMO.

Regards,
SB

I believe there's a bit of a mis-assumption that keyboard and mouse players will automatically have an advantage. With aim-assist, mid to low level players on gamepads may outperform similar players on keyboard and mouse.
And putting aside the act of aiming a weapon at a target, the sheer act of getting around an environment is often much, much better on a controller because it grants precise control of movement speed. I must prefer a controller in a first person game because of this, particularly where stealth is a component because you do have such precise control whereas it's a jerkfest of movement with a keyboard.

And putting aside the act of aiming a weapon at a target, the sheer act of getting around an environment is often much, much better on a controller because it grants precise control of movement speed. I must prefer a controller in a first person game because of this, particularly where stealth is a component because you do have such precise control whereas it's a jerkfest of movement with a keyboard.

Tell that to the people in FFXIV that treat it as a platformer. :) KB/M gives much more precise platforming in that game than controllers. Probably due to the necessity for quick changes in direction. A mouse is far more accurate and precise for rotational movement. Not to mention just plain faster without loss of precision.

Controllers do have advantages if you need slooooow forwards/backwards/strafing movement however.

But even that isn't a given. Escape from Tarkov has a mechanism for variable speed movement using KB/M. Not having played it, I'm not sure how clunky it may be in practice, but I've seen some streamers using it.

Regards,
SB

The reason why gamepads can have some advantages over keyboard and mouse for low to mid skill players, is aim assist, not the controller itself. Pretty much all gamepad schemes give some level of aim assist (minus rainbow six siege and pubg). Obviously this would vary based on the game. There are plenty of mouse and keyboard players that do not aim well, track targets poorly and miss a lot of shots. For those players, being matched up against gamepad players who essentially have sanctioned aimbots, mouses and keyboard probably isn't an advantage. But mouse and keyboard players with relatively good aiming skill should always come out ahead.

The presentation notes that support for all USB mice supported by Windows would be available on Xbox, including mice with wireless dongles. Mice with custom drivers or Bluetooth reliance would remain incompatible, however. The presentation also discussed unauthorized peripherals which emulate controller behavior. In response, Microsoft is introducing a new API developers can leverage to detect (and potentially block) mouse and keyboard accessories that mimic controller inputs unfairly.

Interesting.

The reason why gamepads can have some advantages over keyboard and mouse for low to mid skill players, is aim assist, not the controller itself. Pretty much all gamepad schemes give some level of aim assist (minus rainbow six siege and pubg).

Ignoring aim assist, controllers do give you precise analogue input so if you want to consistently move just so fast/slow from A to B rather than the start-stop motion resulting from using a keyboard,then a controller helps to stealth along with a subtle non-jarring motion. Then there are vehicles where analogue input is almost always preferable. :yep2:

Horses for courses along with a helping of personal preference.

I still don't understand the "official" part, is it a branding thing? M&K is USB. Either the SW allows M&K control or is doesn't . So it will end up like the PS4, some games allow it and most do not (due to balance)?

It's not really convenient to use a M&K on a couch or recliner, so <1% will ever really bother and that amount of people isn't worth the headache for developers.

I still don't understand the "official" part, is it a branding thing? M&K is USB. Either the SW allows M&K control or is doesn't . So it will end up like the PS4, some games allow it and most do not (due to balance)?

It's not really convenient to use a M&K on a couch or recliner, so <1% will ever really bother and that amount of people isn't worth the headache for developers.
we're waiting to find out if MS is looking to support PC titles/applications outside of your standard xbox console experience.

Mouse and keyboard is a disaster in multiplayer on console in my opinion. They would have to be kept separate and in that case you would struggle to get a game if you were a mouse and keyboard user.

I personally would not buy or play a multiplayer game on console if I know there will be mouse users mixed with joypad users.

Back