Microsoft XBOX Mouse and Keyboard Support *split*

another step towards WoW :V

I know you're half joking, but if WoW ever made it to console, if that console has exclusive access (which I doubt Blizzard would go exclusive), that console would sell at a minimum a few hundred thousand units just for WoW. Possibly even millions of units.

Lots of people have a computer only to play WoW. If they could do that without having to deal with the cost and upkeep associated with a PC, I can imagine it being huge.

Basically the same reason that a lot of people play FFXIV on PS3 and now PS4 (some people in my old FFXIV guild basically bought a PS3 purely to play FFXIV once they found out you could use KB/M on FFXIV on PS3 and then stopped using their PC for FFXIV). Only WoW is ~10x larger in terms of users.

Regards,
SB

I think the suggestion is that Windows games can be run on XBox using Mouse. Opens up the console to strategy games. Not a big deal, but a nice extra for those who care at negligable cost ot MS, which also promotes their store and Cross Play (or whatever it's called. Angry Gaming?).

Lots of people have a computer only to play WoW. If they could do that without having to deal with the cost and upkeep associated with a PC, I can imagine it being huge.
I don't understand that. If they already have a PC that plays the game, what are the costs and upkeep needed to play WoW? Surely it also sees use web browsing and shopping and basic stuff?

I think the suggestion is that Windows games can be run on XBox using Mouse. Opens up the console to strategy games. Not a big deal, but a nice extra for those who care at negligable cost ot MS, which also promotes their store and Cross Play (or whatever it's called. Angry Gaming?).

I don't understand that. If they already have a PC that plays the game, what are the costs and upkeep needed to play WoW? Surely it also sees use web browsing and shopping and basic stuff?

There are people that have been playing it for over a decade now.
  • At some point they all have to upgrade their machine.
    • Sounds cheap-ish right? Not for a lot of the more casual players that play WoW. Instead of upgrading components they generally just buy a new computer.
    • Buying a new console every so often is cheaper than buying a new PC every so often.
    • I used to help people in my guild who weren't computer savvy either upgrade their PC (they buy the parts and take it to a local PC shop to have it installed) or help them choose a computer in their budget.
  • They sometimes get viruses (through browsing unsafe websites or email).
    • Browsers have gotten better at trying to prevent people from going to unsafe websites but that only goes so far.
    • Some people just can't help opening mail. :p
    • I used to help people try to clean their machine of malware. Happens more often than some would imagine. And most of the time it was the user's fault (running stuff they shouldn't have).
  • Having to deal with Windows updates.
  • Having to deal with driver updates.
Basically, it all comes down to cost and convenience. If you could play WoW on a console with KB/M that would be very attractive for a certain segment of the WoW player base.

Regards,
SB

Mobas are the big win for keyboard and mouse, if they can get one. Then there's a ton of strategy and rpg games. Allowing it for shooters would just be a swell addition. Kust have mouse and keyboard queue with pc.

There's also the Chinese/Asian market I guess, which consoles haven't made any headway into. I imagine MOBAs on console might make the machines more attractive, and it'd be a very significant market to get one's foot into the door of.

There's also the Chinese/Asian market I guess, which consoles haven't made any headway into. I imagine MOBAs on console might make the machines more attractive, and it'd be a very significant market to get one's foot into the door of.

Main issue is probably the commercial side. They all have their own clients and marketplaces, and I'm not sure they'd be happy giving a cut to Microsoft

I wonder what is the reason why we ve seen no console port of WoW all these years but we did see other mmorpg's that require subscriptions. On the surface it gives the impression of an instant money generating hit. But since it didnt happen yet something might be standing as an obstacle

I wonder what is the reason why we ve seen no console port of WoW all these years but we did see other mmorpg's that require subscriptions. On the surface it gives the impression of an instant money generating hit. But since it didnt happen yet something might be standing as an obstacle
Can’t work out the economics I imagine. When you look at GOLD + 35% going to MS for being on the Xbox, they don’t want to play ball, the price would be too high for players to play. They also don’t want to be in a situation where MS positions Xbox as a mini PC, and that becomes an immediate -35% reduction in profits on a group of users. It’s questionable if it’s profit is large enough to absorb a -35% loss per month.

But if your a game developer who is normally on steam, the cut is the same, it makes no difference whether you launch on steam or Xbox.

Actually looking through this again, it seems like games will always have to support gamepad, so that means all of the mobas are out. I think the task of re-engineering games to support gamepad is a deal breaker. It's a shame. I understand they don't suddenly want all of these games coming out that are keyboard and mouse only, but there are just so many games they'll miss out on.

That's why KB/M should be moved to the domain of Windows software. I expect it's the same as the VR situation I've talked about elsewhere. MS could do with XB having access to the same Windows Store content, but I guess they haven't got that on XB1 and will bring it in for neXtBox. Then they can have dedicated, optimised XB software, and a true Windows shell or however they do it for supporting Windows content but walled off to only run Windows Store bought games. Anyone wanting KB/M games will be able to play them as if using a PC and buying through the Windows portal. Controller based console-fair can be sold through XBox. Players can be segregated based on what platform they are playing through, with Windows on XBox having a different player base than Live games on XBox, but of course it'd be the same account, shared across devices, with content bought on one working on the other. So you could buy a game on XBox, play online with controller, connect a KB/M, and boot up the game in Windows to play int PC mode against other KB/M players. It'd be a nice stepping stone to usher people more towards Windows as an entertainment platform.

A technical hurdle preventing this happening on XB1 is the only logical explanation I'm happy with. MS already has KB/M games on Windows Store, wants to encourage people to use Windows Store, could trivially support KB/M on XBox, but it's not happening. Same as VR on XB1X - MS only need make the headsets run and make the games available. So I'm guessing XB1 isn't able to run Windows stuff seamlessly yet. Play Anywhere titles appear to be few and far between, whereas transparent execution of Windows titles suggests every Windows game could be added. That may of course be business decisions on the part of the devs/pubs though.

There’s a technical hurdle that needs to be resolved with the Win10 kernel unfortunately. So it may take a while longer.

It’s not as simple as just allowing Mouse and Keyboard.

An Xbox can support 8 separate controllers, but can it support more than 1 mouse and keyboard?

Controllers are individually signed, mouse and keyboards are not. There is a reason for the hardware, if you’re thinking about how he system works.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
We'll have to wait and see. This feature is already over due from my understanding of it.

Costs and upkeep? You certainly dont need anything high-end to play WoW, even 10 year old hardware should run WoW even today and in the future. I dont think it would be cheaper to play WoW on a console, it would be the reverse, it would be more expensive on a PS4.

(some people in my old FFXIV guild basically bought a PS3 purely to play FFXIV once they found out you could use KB/M on FFXIV on PS3 and then stopped using their PC for FFXIV)

What was the reason for that? Cant think off anything else then perhaps bigger player base on PS3 for just that game?

Basically, it all comes down to cost and convenience. If you could play WoW on a console with KB/M that would be very attractive for a certain segment of the WoW player base.

This was more true for 10/15 years ago, maintaining a pc isnt that hard anymore, i have some friends who arent into tech at all, their W10 pc's just update everything automaticly, even drivers.
With consoles you need to swap every 5 to 7 years, i think a pc from 2009 still would be suffice to play WoW? lets say a i7 950/GTX480 or 580, 6 or 8GB ram, almost 10 years old and sure can run WoW without problem. Most console players play using a TV, not really comfortable with a game like WoW :p

Can’t work out the economics I imagine. When you look at GOLD + 35% going to MS for being on the Xbox, they don’t want to play ball, the price would be too high for players to play. They also don’t want to be in a situation where MS positions Xbox as a mini PC, and that becomes an immediate -35% reduction in profits on a group of users. It’s questionable if it’s profit is large enough to absorb a -35% loss per month.

But if your a game developer who is normally on steam, the cut is the same, it makes no difference whether you launch on steam or Xbox.
Sony kind of found a solution with MMORPG's like Final Fantasy 14. That AFAIK does not require a PS Plus to play online. Only the subscription for FF14 and DLCs? Maybe Sony and MS may get some cut from every unit sold or a tiny amount from every subscription and not require a Plus/Gold?

Ugh. The Daily Star. Utter trash website - please don't click the link!

The little I skimmed before I passed out from an overwhelming barrage of celebrity and low-brow tat was a definitive "no" to WOW on consoles. I never got as far as the reasons why.

As a Mod, I feel it my obligation to protect users from temptation. I'll update your post.

I think that's really talking about making a console game, so working with controller. Unless explicitly asked about KB/M support on consoles, it's not off the cards. But the play style, being sat at a desk versus on a couch, means KB/M likely isn't expected to be widespread on consoles even if they can use them. Ergo, why write games that support them? Ergo, why bother adding KB/M to your console if no games are going to be developed that use them?

Back