Now more than ever, this is the X BOX

Wii doesn't upscale shit. It's 480i/480p or nothing.
:LOL::LOL: Maybe not only 480i/p. Perhaps is a 600 ft incline. It is not the hill of happy.

EDIT: Holy cray off topic.

I don't think PS3 and X360 scale any better though, because the source image of most flash videos is so bad to begin with....

joker454, same response as her, and it's a pity you left console gaming for good. I wanted to return to PC Gaming and even bought a decent laptop which allows me to play games too, but I can't manage to find myself not playing a neat and nice console when gaming. I tried, I certainly did, once more, but PCs aren't my thing when it comes to games.

bkillian, :p that's fun. If it were just that once, I wouldn't jump to relabel the Kinect, whether or not it was actually crazy or it was intentionally a programming thing.

If it kept happening, then yeah, but not after one time. Flukes happen sometimes.

On a different note, after the news this is likely to happen once again.

This is a video of a girl smashing her boyfriend's Xbox 360, because he doesn't pay attention to her. Fun :smile::

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ff6_1259094858

My intuition tells me this, if the girl has the same grace and sparkle with her boyfriend than she does smashing the 360, like him I would also pass 10 hours with the console. X-D

it's a pity you left console gaming for good.

I do still have my 360 although I just use it for Amazon video. I may get rid of it though since it's barely used. I did try the Resident Evil 6 demo on the 360 but it looked so horrid that I just couldn't play it, I'm too spoiled by pc graphics now to go back. I don't know if I'm gone for good though, if the Xbox 720 connects with my main account like my pc, laptop, future tablet and phone do so that I can use my music, win8 apps, etc on an Xbox 720 then I will get probably get one.

I do still have my 360 although I just use it for Amazon video. I may get rid of it though since it's barely used. I did try the Resident Evil 6 demo on the 360 but it looked so horrid that I just couldn't play it, I'm too spoiled by pc graphics now to go back. I don't know if I'm gone for good though, if the Xbox 720 connects with my main account like my pc, laptop, future tablet and phone do so that I can use my music, win8 apps, etc on an Xbox 720 then I will get probably get one.
Ah, okay.

Well, if I got rid of my Xbox 360 I would feel so deeply repentant that I couldn't forgive myself.

If I ever come to money then it wouldn't matter to me.

But after the amount of money I spent on these things, I would end up losing a lot of money from selling them. Not to mention I would miss the odd game here and there.

I think of these consoles as the best ever created and they increased their value over time. Sometimes being pioneering, others just going with the times.

They added HDMI, 3D, TV channels, exclusive services, and even internet browsers -PS3 had one already, X360 has the most secure web browser, IE, and running on consoles it makes it 1000x times more secure!-, music videos and films, all of that adding to their value.

This has allowed consoles to keep up with the times, and there are other more mundane activities like watching movies on DVD...in which case you can watch them more comfortably than on most PCs, for instance. With this in mind, the rest is pretty self explanatory, imho.

As for the unified services, Microsoft have been doing that since a long while ago, or so it seems, and Sony are doing the same -a bit off topic but Google too-.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has allowed consoles to keep up with the times, and there are other more mundane activities like watching movies on DVD...in which case you can watch them more comfortably than on most PCs, for instance.

I guess different experiences there. I have my ~200 blu-rays and ~6 dvd's all copied to raid which my pc happily plays without ever having to get up from the couch, so all my movies and concerts are just one click away. I could never get the consoles to play them correctly, but then again I always have limited luck getting the consoles to do anything media related unless it was from a built in app like Amazon Video. Speaking of that, I finally tested my websites on IE on 360. The websites look and run great, very smooth experience, except ironically it won't play the wmv videos. I guess I shouldn't be surprised of yet another "can't play a media file" type error on a console, but looks like I'll have to add another video format so the console will be able to play them.

I guess different experiences there. I have my ~200 blu-rays and ~6 dvd's all copied to raid which my pc happily plays without ever having to get up from the couch, so all my movies and concerts are just one click away. I could never get the consoles to play them correctly, but then again I always have limited luck getting the consoles to do anything media related unless it was from a built in app like Amazon Video. Speaking of that, I finally tested my websites on IE on 360. The websites look and run great, very smooth experience, except ironically it won't play the wmv videos. I guess I shouldn't be surprised of yet another "can't play a media file" type error on a console, but looks like I'll have to add another video format so the console will be able to play them.

We have had this discussion regarding the PS3, you never really tried the supported PS3 methods (DLNA server, web server etc).

The problem with discussions like this is people have different preferences.
I've done the DVD players with media decoding thing
Moved to HTPC for all my media needs thing
Used consoles to play my media
I'm currently in my use PLEX via a Roku phase,
I also have an AppleTV which I don't like - though airplay is nice.

I still have a PC in my media room, though I don't use it to play media.
To me it's a convenience thing, I have to turn the PC on, deal with updates, find my mouse, and click on something to play it.
I don't like the Consoles as media players for the same reasons.
The Roku is always on, I just select it as a source and play the movie.

Having said people have different UX expectations and different tolerances for things, so I don't think this is one size fits all space. If I used my computer a lot in my media room, then I would probably leave it turned on and have a different viewpoint.

We have had this discussion regarding the PS3, you never really tried the supported PS3 methods (DLNA server, web server etc).

I tried dlna server, hd audio would never play, video playback stuttered, it wouldn't fast forward at a reasonable speed, it sometimes disconnected, etc. The experience was terrible. I didn't try web server, but I had read from others that fast forward and rewind didn't work well there either. In the end I didn't see the point when a pc can play it all perfectly and power up faster than consoles do anyways, it takes my display longer to sync to the hdmi signal than it does for my computer to wake up from sleep.

Having said people have different UX expectations and different tolerances for things, so I don't think this is one size fits all space. If I used my computer a lot in my media room, then I would probably leave it turned on and have a different viewpoint.

That right there sums it up. The older I get the less tolerant I am of having to fiddle around with stuff.

That said, I use a PC for all my media needs. My HTPC also serves as my windows home server for backup and file serving needs in the home as well as online (relatives accessing photos and videos). So its always on just like your Roku. It's located in a different room connected only via HDMI to the TV. Wireless control and everything works peachy from the living room.

I though of using the Roku, but I never know what types of encoding one relative or another will decide to throw at me, and it's easier to just update those on the server if needed rather than hope Roku will support it. And at least in my case, the Roku would mean using more power (as little as it may be) when I already have a machine that's always on that can do the same stuff.

So, as you pointed out. Each person has different use cases and different tolerances. I couldn't be arsed to setup media streaming through something like a PS3/X360 when I already have something that does it far better with far fewer problems. But if someone doesn't have a home server that is on 24/7? A PS3/X360/Roku/tablet PC/etc. would probably all work just fine.

Regards,
SB

I tried dlna server, hd audio would never play, video playback stuttered, it wouldn't fast forward at a reasonable speed, it sometimes disconnected, etc. The experience was terrible. I didn't try web server, but I had read from others that fast forward and rewind didn't work well there either. In the end I didn't see the point when a pc can play it all perfectly and power up faster than consoles do anyways, it takes my display longer to sync to the hdmi signal than it does for my computer to wake up from sleep.

I've never had any problems with using a DLNA server with my PS3 (over wired gig-E, however), but we use it exclusively for h.264 avc DVD rips. YMMV.

Ok didnt want to create a new thread but I just updated to the new dashboard and am typing this using the IE browser on Xbox and using my mini IOGear wireless keyboard.:smile:

Gotta say the browser is very responsive and works with a lot of websites. The smoooth scrolling is very nice. That said there needs to be an integrated spellchecker.

Also it seems Smartglass for iphone isnt out yet which is a shame because using the controller to move the mouse is not ideal.

Oh and btw does anyone know if IE makes use of Xboxes with hard drives?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok didnt want to create a new thread but I just updated to the new dashboard and am typing this using the IE browser on Xbox and using my mini IOGear wireless keyboard.:smile:

Gotta say the browser is very responsive and works with a lot of websites. The smoooth scrolling is very nice. That said there needs to be an integrated spellchecker.

Also it seems Smartglass for iphone isnt out yet which is a shame because using the controller to move the mouse is not ideal.

Oh and btw does anyone know if IE makes use of Xboxes with hard drives?
Makes use how? The 360 does not have virtual memory. Not sure if it does any web caching, but I can ask if you'd like.

It may be the X Box, but boy does it suck hard that you have to pay for Gold to access other subscription based services.

We finally got Netflix in Denmark, i have it on my phone, PS3´s, PC´s etc, really perfect for entertaining the kids. Imagine my surprise when i wanted to set it up on the XBOX :)

I have to pay $10 a month to use something that costs $13 a month (danish prices)....

Back