Microsoft expected to announce job cuts this week. Some will affect Xbox marketing.

Why would they sell xbox as a whole? The 360 became quite profitable after the first couple years didn't it - no reason to believe the same won't be true of xbone as well.

Yeah. It's not about the Xbox business as a whole at all. Just Xbox Entertainment Studios, which is the baranch/stusio/division that was supposed to create "interactive television content" for the Xbox platform. If MS has (apparently) decided to shuttle it anyways, it makes sense to entertain offers. If only to get some of their investment in it back (and possibly for a new owner to continue producing third party Xbox content).

Yeah. It's not about the Xbox business as a whole at all. Just Xbox Entertainment Studios, which is the baranch/stusio/division that was supposed to create "interactive television content" for the Xbox platform. If MS has (apparently) decided to shuttle it anyways, it makes sense to entertain offers. If only to get some of their investment in it back (and possibly for a new owner to continue producing third party Xbox content).

If I'm MS I'd focus on the segment of the market that is willing to spend money on gaming, I think this was honestly their original vision anyway. MS probably saw NA as the most important market with the most discretionary income and willingness to pay for services like LIVE and so on.

Gaming in many ways is a commodity business, hardware has historically been sold at a loss, games have a relatively short half life wrt to price that is to say your product depreciates fairly quickly for no other reason than something newer is on the horizon and unlike other mediums its not as easy to repackage and sell later.

All of this is probably in part why they don't place a very large emphasis on first party offerings, you're just as likely to lose millions are you are to make a return on your investment so the sensible thing to do is court the big third parties, buy exclusive content and hopefully stay profitable. But regardless minding your margin starting on day one will prevent you from suffering loses and lets face it gamers have proven themselves time and time again to be extremely fickle.

To put it plainly even if they lose the install base race just like Nintendo with the GC they could be profitable. I think all 3 platform holders need to keep this in mind.

Seems that XES many not be dead, dead as of yet. MS are in discussions to sell the studio:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/xbox-shops-entertainment-studio-warner-725562
I wonder what value a big studio like WB (or others) would see in XES, unless the IP is included as well?

Even then, Halo. Who the hell wants that? A lot of money in Hollywood has been batting back and forth on a Halo movie for a decade and it's got nowhere. Although I was intrigued when Microsoft announced a Halo TV series I'm skeptical it's going to get the production budget it deserves and needs.

Although I'd be really interested to see a live action Halo, I think a CGI rendition might give better results. The Clone Wars demonstrated you could do good CGI for a TV show.

Amazon or Hulu might be possible interested parties, or so I'd think. They both are trying to develop their own new and unique content so there could be synergy between the two.

Or I'm just too tired to really think that through.

What exactly is it MS is trying to foist off, merely a TV production company (which ought to be of limited value, as TV production companies can't be in short supply in this day and age), or also an actual TV production - or even plural thereof?

IGN was showing footage from Gamescon last night and there was a segment on QB, games looks good. Graphics were nice although its hard to tell how polished there were due to IGNs poor video player. But the game mechanics and even moreso the story looks good. This could be a very important IP for MS if they handle it properly, the potential is there.

Back