Real next-gen war Ken Kutaragi vs. Peter Moore

drpepper said:
But I think their visions overlap somewhat, Jobs named 2005 the HD era at Macworld 05 and had that Sony guy give a small, but nervous talk. I think both companies would benefit from a partnership, whether it has to do with HD content or music. Sony should just conceed to Apple in terms of the online music business because Sony just doesn't stand a chance against the iPod and iTunes.
that'd be a smart alliance. Sony has dithered about with their online content while Apple have run a successful platform. But Sony's got the content. Apple supply the software side to Sony content delivery, both supply hardware, PSPs and iPods, Apple supply an OS for PS3 perhaps, Sony provide movies, music and TV programs, both provide super stylish street-cred. iPod + PlayStation...a marketeer's dream if ever there was one, surely!

Shifty Geezer said:
that'd be a smart alliance. Sony has dithered about with their online content while Apple have run a successful platform. But Sony's got the content. Apple supply the software side to Sony content delivery, both supply hardware, PSPs and iPods, Apple supply an OS for PS3 perhaps, Sony provide movies, music and TV programs, both provide super stylish street-cred. iPod + PlayStation...a marketeer's dream if ever there was one, surely!

If only it was that easy.

Certainly would be a rather powerful force if it were to happen.

Shifty Geezer said:

And you know what the best thing is about these two if that were to happen? In a way they both kinda have the same style. Their product show style just as much as usability. Go to a Sony store and then go to a Apple store and you will see what I mean.

Shifty Geezer said:
But Apple has always been successful when they own something end to end, hardware and software included (look to the recent HP iPod and Motorola Rockr). Perhaps with the PS3 being a closed environment they could replicate this, but somehow I have the idea that if you put Apple and Sony designers in the same room, an Ego Blackhole would instantly form from which no life could escape.

.Sis

Sis said:
But Apple has always been successful when they own something end to end, hardware and software included (look to the recent HP iPod and Motorola Rockr). Perhaps with the PS3 being a closed environment they could replicate this, but somehow I have the idea that if you put Apple and Sony designers in the same room, an Ego Blackhole would instantly form from which no life could escape.

.Sis

Exactly -- Sony and Apple love to have control, and I don't think either of them would want to share, even if it could possibly work out better than they could have imagined. Sometimes they can't see the forest for the trees. Compromise is often the best solution, but with big companies that rarely happens -- everyone thinks about the "what if" and plan that way... "what if our content service is successful? we'd be able to take over the world!" but of course if everyone thinks that then the consumer space becomes a horrible mess and everybody sort of loses.

Sony and Apple have a long history together. Like Mckmass mentioned, they're both 'stylish,' and Apple users at least traditionally have favored Sony electronics to couple to their Macs. Sony and Apple go a decent ways to making their toys communicate, and we all know they're both big on firewire among other things. Then of course Sony almost buying Apple back in the day when Apple was on hard times (now THAT would make for an intereting present day situation; Macs on Cell, iPod ever created?).

Plus Steve Jobs offered Sony's Idei a partnership in iTunes in 2004 while golfing together, but Idei turned it down to pursue Sony's own strategy.

Anyway, a storied history between two companies...

xbdestroya said:
Fulcizomie it's a quote from 1994 - calm down.

So there's strife in the shogunate right now. Man, you'd think you could appreciate my cinematic vision for what it is instead of freakign out. ;)
Oh i know it's from 1994 but some people don't see it that way.Anyway i love how some people choose to completely ignore the REAL situation Sony is in right now.Here's a tip...it's a very ugly one.

Anyway Sony has stopped being relevant to any section other than videogames for almost a decade.They've been destroyed by companies like Samsung in their core buisness and have to rely almost entirely on the ,not always so profitable,videogames' division.It's sad really,if nothing else for the people that have lost their jobs(and for the many more that will loose it in the next few years).

fulcizombie said:
Oh i know it's from 1994 but some people don't see it that way.Anyway i love how some people choose to completely ignore the REAL situation Sony is in right now.Here's a tip...it's a very ugly one.

Anyway Sony has stopped being relevant to any section other than videogames for almost a decade.They've been destroyed by companies like Samsung in their core buisness and have to rely almost entirely on the ,not always so profitable,videogames' division.It's sad really,if nothing else for the people that have lost their jobs(and for the many more that will loose it in the next few years).

Dude Ken didn't want to crush the MS empire. He wanted to kill whatever MS would come up with to test him in the entertainment sector (i.e. videogames and ultimate living room hub).

mckmas8808 said:
Really? Is it always involving their MS Office software? What do they have to be paranoid about?
When you're on top, where is there to go but down? It takes a LOT of effort to stay in a commanding lead.

mckmas8808 said:
Dude Ken didn't want to crush the MS empire. He wanted to kill whatever MS would come up with to test him in the entertainment sector (i.e. videogames and ultimate living room hub).

any other insider info about what Ken really means when he speaks?

fulcizombie said:

Wow dude you're an angry guy! Chillax.

Anyway I expect a turnaround in Sony's electronics business in the next couple of years; I have faith with their recent LCD TV penetration in both the US and Japan and in Stringer's comments in his recent interview.

If not, whatever - just live and enjoy life! :)

Digitimes US LCD Penetration

image002.jpg

mckmas8808 said:
Don't be so naive. Controlling the living room means there's an aspect of home computing MS does not own and has to play nice with. MS hates that. They are trying to make that never happen with the Xbox line.

And if Sony has leverage on MS, do you really think they'll be content and stay where they are? MS will be trying to remove the leverage and Sony will be trying to increase it.

xbdestroya said:

Anyway I expect a turnaround in Sony's electronics business in the next couple of years; I have faith with their recent LCD TV penetration in both the US and Japan and in Stringer's comments in his recent interview.

image002.jpg

This maybe off-topic but damn that's some interesting data right there!

It's still all about the margins though, the article says Sharp are rolling out sweeping price cuts. Sony might follow suit. It's more commoditisation, this is what has been hurting Sony for the past 10 years.

Their new slogan in Europe: "like.no.other" really brings home the point, the BRAVIA TV advert which accompanies the theme is rather classy too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inane_Dork said:
Don't be so naive. Controlling the living room means there's an aspect of home computing MS does not own and has to play nice with. MS hates that. They are trying to make that never happen with the Xbox line.

And if Sony has leverage on MS, do you really think they'll be content and stay where they are? MS will be trying to remove the leverage and Sony will be trying to increase it.

Yeah honestly you're right. MS needs to stop them to if they want to dominate they why they want.

Yeah the Bravia series is quite cool. Still overpriced like usual, but they're damn fine sets, which is what counts if Sony want to go back to be the company that can charge more for a sense of technical superiority.

Question

london-boy said:
Yeah the Bravia series is quite cool. Still overpriced like usual, but they're damn fine sets, which is what counts if Sony want to go back to be the company that can charge more for a sense of technical superiority.

What's so good about this new Bravia line really though compared to the others?

It's true - saw the Bravia sets in the Sony Style store near me; truly a cut above.

mckmas8808 said:
What's so good about this new Bravia line really though compared to the others?

Samsung actually has an LCD out now thats pretty much exactly the same as the Bravia line (same pricing even). Which I suppose makes sense, since they both should be coming from the new Sony/Samsung LCD plant... I think?

The blacks and the color is real nice on the Bravia line from what I've seen (and assumingly on the samsung equivalent) -- if a 40 inch didn't cost 3500 I'd seriously look at one.

xbdestroya said:

image002.jpg
But is this the whole story though, seeing that the DLP market seems to have exploded while the LCD market declined (with Samsung I thought in the DLP lead)? This was my impression, at least. Anyone know the overall market share across CRT/LCD/DLP is for Sony? Maybe there's an overall trend that I'm missing.

.Sis

Back