Real next-gen war Ken Kutaragi vs. Peter Moore

london-boy said:
Since they use the same panels as the Samsung LCDs, the thing that puts them above many competitors is the Wega Engine and the image processing it brings to the table.

All companies have different image processing chipsets on their LCDs, Philips has PixelPlus2 (amazing by the way), Samsung has DNIe (very nice), Sony has the Wega Engine which is one damn fine piece of technology.

Ok so you are telling me an engine that is based on some processor can make TV shows look better? So is it possible that a 1 or 2 SPE enabled TV from either Sony or Toshiba with a great engine can out do what we have today?

mckmas8808 said:
Ok so you are telling me an engine that is based on some processor can make TV shows look better? So is it possible that a 1 or 2 SPE enabled TV from either Sony or Toshiba with a great engine can out do what we have today?

The image processing behind LCDs is EVERYTHING!!! :D

I have no idea what an SPE or two could bring to the table, but basically, the best LCDs out there are the best LCDs because the image processing behind the screenes are doing their mojo.

Obviously the physical screen itself needs to be good, but the image processing is the real culprit. As long as the screen as a good response time, you really need to focus on the image processing. New Bravia LCDs are using the same 8ms panels as the new Samsung panels (the R51's up). Only the image processing and maybe the lamps are different, if even that.

They're both damn fine sets.

london-boy said:
The image processing behind LCDs is EVERYTHING!!! :D

I have no idea what an SPE or two could bring to the table, but basically, the best LCDs out there are the best LCDs because the image processing behind the screenes are doing their mojo.

YES!!! Lets all rejoice for next-gen Sony LCDs. j/k

But seriously I never know image processing actually matter that much. With the CELL's excellent speed for processing things like this I can't see why 2 SPEs would put a Sony LCD ahead of the game. I think Howard Stringer said something about this actually. I have to find the quote. Hold on a sec.

london-boy said:
New Bravia LCDs are using the same 8ms panels as the new Samsung panels (the R51's up). Only the image processing and maybe the lamps are different, if even that.

I believe the Bravia's are actually 11.5ms B2B.

I too, would be curious if other LCD panels from that plant are using the Wide Gamut CCFL (this is a major reason why the Bravias look so good).

Like I said a long time ago, those touting LED back lighting are quite premature. Maybe the second or third generation they'll be ready for prime time, but till then CCFL is superior imo.

Back