Microsoft announces external HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

cthellis42 said:
Capacity isn't the name of the game except for recording purposes and potentially gaming.
The layers of data storage that BluRay offers gives it a longer life span than say HD-DVD.

BTW, HD BluRay camcorder should be making its way to the markets too. ;)

scooby_dooby said:
There is evidence. The HD-DVD players are 1/2 the price of the BR players. That's actually something real we can base opinions on.

So things can be judged on retail pricing??? So if the PS3 sells for $399 US, then it's costs must be below that?

You CAN'T judge the cost of a product by what it sells for. Blu-ray is the premium player and has a premium price associated with it. High price for early adopters, as was the case with early DVD drives. HD-DVD lower pricing could be a reflection on their weaker stance in entering the market, and may not be a sign of cheaper components at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
cthellis42 said:
Technically, yes, but that again is another "would it need so much that it would matter?" question, which I don't think we can answer off the cuff.

Marketers get excited over this feature because they can hold a one-to-one communication channel with their movie customers (well, you're playing my movie. I want to friend you more !). It doesn't have to be in-your-face, but it opens up new possibility.

If used well, it can be compelling. I hope this feature makes the cut because this is another way for them to earn more money to offset the initial deployment cost (i.e., they help to keep BR player cost low). I'm pretty sure they'd want to have it in *if they are interested in making more money* that is.

Time is their enemy though.

ihamoitc2005 said:
Competition means more features for discs will be added and new movies with better resolution and frame-rate will be made. For TV-shows, yes I feel you are correct mabe whole season on 1 disc can be made. But like games for blu-ray, all this will not be instant change. Always change is slow but some of this can be had soon when Blu-ray movies and TV shows are sold.
We've seen more and more features added, sure, but time and cost constraints are the ultimate limiters of what publishers will end up putting on their disks. They certainly CAN pack lots of random other extras on a disk if they have the room, but that doesn't mean they'll have to or want do devote the time and effort to prepare it for professional release.

In fact, the amount of extras we're likely to get on movies from a "necessary storage" perspective will quite possibly not increase at all or go down, as the development efforts will concentrate on the interactive layers both HD-DVD and BR have. Finding new ways to entertain and new ways to direct the viewers' eyes at OTHER products you have for them to purchase (as well as developing new ways to bring in advertising dollars) will be more important than throwing on yet another commentary track or another hour of behind-the-scenes footage.

This generation, they're going to be striving to figure out how else to keep the viewer entertained and where else they can DIRECT your eyes (especially through networking possibilities), rather than tossing a few more tidbits to make you enjoy your already-purchased product a little bit more.

Hardknock said:
Now that's interesting. Is there any new news on this from CES??
bluraycam7ea.jpg

patsu said:
Marketers get excited over this feature because they can hold a one-to-one communication channel with their movie customers (well, you're playing my movie. I want to friend you more !). It doesn't have to be in-your-face, but it opens up new possibility.

If used well, it can be compelling. I hope this feature makes the cut because this is another way for them to earn more money to offset the initial deployment cost (i.e., they help to keep BR player cost low). I'm pretty sure they'd want to have it in *if they are interested in making more money* that is.

I'm pretty sure HD-DVD has this feature aswell.

Resolution.

Bigus Dickus said:
Why would quantity of storage space affect quality if they both can hold a complete movie at the same resolution? IMO, quality is much more determined by codecs, as is the case for Dolby Digital vs. DTS. Your argument is like saying that an .mp3 stored on a DVD sounds better than an .mp3 stored on a CD. Space available matters little... you should investigate how the two were encoded and compressed.

More space = less compression for same length film or higher resolution (1080P at 60fps) or long film on 1 disc instead of 2 disc, or many movies on 1 disc like sequels. Many benefits both quality and quantity.

patsu said:

Time, yes. Development cost, yes. And above and beyond that, we don't know just what additional storage requirements it will be necessary. It may well be that getting in the features and making them clean and clever involve a lot more of those other costs than any storage requirement.

Especially if networking gets leaned on, at which point it's bandwidth they're looking at or even remote storage, rather than disk capacity.

Momentum means nothing if the public aint buying it. I honestly don't think average joe cares enough to support either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. I'm one of the few who dove right into DVD-A and SACD I bought a universal player and a lot of titles of each and I like each format.

But they are both dead because joe sixpack prefers MP3's over high quality audio.
The same is going to happen with Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, either or both formats may survive as a niche format but neither is going to take off like CD's or DVD's the public just doesn't care and isn't going to spend money to replace movies they already bought on DVD. The change from VHS to DVD was a huge leap in better useability these formats are not and will either die or have a small user base that actually uses them.

cthellis42 said:
Time, yes. Development cost, yes. And above and beyond that, we don't know just what additional storage requirements it will be necessary. It may well be that getting in the features and making them clean and clever involve a lot more of those other costs than any storage requirement.

Especially if networking gets leaned on, at which point it's bandwidth they're looking at or even remote storage, rather than disk capacity.

I understand (BTW, is this related to the BD-J spec ?). Cost is only 1 side of the equation. The additional upside and open-ended possibility to earn more money will be considered by these guys too. If they do their math, I believe it's likely to be worthwhile.

Hardknock said:
I'm pretty sure HD-DVD has this feature aswell.
It does, and patsu's not saying otherwise, but rather assuming that it would/could involve extras that put a lot more emphasis on disk storage as well (and hence make Blu-Ray look more favorible in comparison.) I don't think we have enough info on that to make such assumptions yet. Not in regards to movies and the extras they'll be including alongside.

The only SURE storage impact I can say right now is in regards to HDTV television series, which will undoubtedly be multi-disk and--more importantly--sold together in multi-disk packages. (They used to split the disks up and try to drag out the profit, but they've moved the market past that already, so I don't think any attempts to backpedal in that respect will succeed.) That market is where direct storage:cost comparisons will come into play. (But, again, we don't have enough information yet to determine what the disk costs will be down the line for that MUCH storage.)

Last edited by a moderator:
patsu said:
I understand (BTW, is this related to the BD-J spec ?). Cost is only 1 side of the equation. The additional upside and open-ended possibility to earn more money will be considered by these guys too. If they do their math, I believe it's likely to be worthwhile.
I don't know enough about either spec to make any definitive statements in this regard. I don't think ANY of us do, which is where my comments are coming from. ;)

We don't know the requirements, we can't see the development costs, and we can't yet see the extent of these features, and we can't see how far publishers are willing to run with it right now. Hence we can't see just what kind of storage requirements it has or if that will tax HD-DVD in a manner that's not easy to overcome.

cthellis42 said:
I don't know enough about either spec to make any definitive statements in this regard. I don't think ANY of us do, which is where my comments are coming from. ;)

We don't know the requirements, we can't see the development costs, and we can't yet see the extent of these features, and we can't see how far publishers are willing to run with it right now. Hence we can't see just what kind of storage requirements it has or if that will tax HD-DVD in a manner that's not easy to overcome.

Ok :( . Incidentally, your idea would work though. Download episode by episode as "Desparate Housewives" aired every week until the BluRay is full (Entire season) for a fee of course.

Okay, I have question for you'all...Durability of the disk. I mean it's nice to drive a fast sport car, but there a few individual rather drive a volvo. With bluray disc's protective layer is much thinner than HD-DVD and DVD:

1) wouldn't it be a problem with scratching and whatnot?
2) create a new stronger protectived coat (which is something that already done), but would that mean the same technology could apply to HD-DVD and DVD for even better protection?

Edit: PS, don't you all have work or something? :))

TrungGap said:
Okay, I have question for you'all...Durability of the disk. I mean it's nice to drive a fast sport car, but there a few individual rather drive a volvo. With bluray disc's protective layer is much thinner than HD-DVD and DVD:

1) wouldn't it be a problem with scratching and whatnot?
2) create a new stronger protectived coat (which is something that already done), but would that mean the same technology could apply to HD-DVD and DVD for even better protection?

Edit: PS, don't you all have work or something? :))

TDK has unified its super hard coating technology under the name DURABIS, and has produced a logo to identify it. DURABIS, which was coined by combining the words "durability" and "shield," conveys the high durability of products that include the hard coating technology.
Durability, Capacity and Speed: TDK Advancements Unlock Blu-ray Disc’s Potential

TDK’s DURABIS coating technology makes recordable Blu-ray Discs possible, as it provides protection to the recording layer, which is very close to the disc surface. DURABIS technology resists scratches, which can cause recording and playback errors. The coating also resists other common contaminants such as fingerprints and dirt. Because the DURABIS coating technology rapidly discharges static electricity, the discs also resist the accumulation of dust. Eliminating the need for a cartridge will contain manufacturing costs, keeping Blu-ray Disc pricing in line with today’s standard recordable DVD discs. With DURABIS coating technology allowing bare Blu-ray Discs, the format will instantly feel familiar to consumers.

http://www.tdk.com/tecpress/010605_durabis.html
There's a pick of this floating around some where. ;)

Hell, I wish they'd stick a proper protective layer on CDs and DVDs! I'd pay extra for that in a heartbeat. And so, to be sure, would high-volume consumers like Blockbuster or Netflix! :p

Back