MGS4 possibility on 360 tidbit?

Everything is about money, they will do whatever it takes. We should all just assume all 3rd party games will sooner or later be cross platform to recoup cost.

Agreed.

I've been on this bandwagon since last year at about this time.

Increasing dev costs and a fairly evenly split marketshare dictates such actions to protect Developer/Publisher ROI.

Care to name who will win the presidantial election , since you can look into the future and all.

heh.

I'm assuming you will enlighten us all on the many ways which the ps3 version will completely outclass the 360 version if a port is in order and if the port remains faithfull it was obviously "gimped down" before hand yes?

Because (ps3 > xb360) right? :LOL:

heh.

I'm assuming you will enlighten us all on the many ways which the ps3 version will completely outclass the 360 version if a port is in order and if the port remains faithfull it was obviously "gimped down" before hand yes?

Regardless of power (you seem sensitive with regard to the question), I don't see how a port of a game meticulously tailored to PS3 architecture could be made without sacrifices...No, I don't. Maybe the game will hit the 360 months after the original version apperas, but I doubt the result would be similar...

heh.

I can't, i don't have your ability Mr Cleo.

I cannot see them forcing Kojima to do something he doesn't want to do. Look what the Pro Evo guy did when they told him they won't be doing a PS3 version of WE10.

Half assed port of the PS2 version, while he continued working on a fully fledged next gen version using the PS3.

I am sure konami would be willing to lose millions to keep him happy right? I am sure that would make the stock holders real happy. The game has to big of a budget to release on a console that can't even crack 100k sales in America and 10k in japan. The only way this game stays exclusive is if sony pays for it. This game has what 15+ million dollar budget plus advertising ect? No way to make that back on the PS3 right now.

A solid port would double or triple the sales of the game or more. The 360 user base is willing to buy pretty much any AAA software. Heck I think some would buy the game just to show SE that money can be made multi platform in hopes of getting FF 13.

Regardless of power (you seem sensitive with regard to the question), I don't see how a port of a game meticulously tailored to PS3 architecture could be made without sacrifices...No, I don't. Maybe the game will hit the 360 months after the original version apperas, but I doubt the result would be similar...

I dont see why not the 360 tools are much more advanced right now than the PS3 tools especially when MGS4 development started. There has not been any multi platform games that the PS3 has clearly pissed on the 360 version even ones with the PS3 being the lead. The only issue IMO would be space because of the FMV. Use the in game engine and some compression on stuff and the results would be close enough. If they could get 80% or 90% of the ps3 version I think most would be happy just keep a solid frame rate.

I am sure konami would be willing to lose millions to keep him happy right? I am sure that would make the stock holders real happy. The game has to big of a budget to release on a console that can't even crack 100k sales in America and 10k in japan. The only way this game stays exclusive is if sony pays for it. This game has what 15+ million dollar budget plus advertising ect? No way to make that back on the PS3 right now.
A solid port would double or triple the sales of the game or more. The 360 user base is willing to buy pretty much any AAA software. Heck I think some would buy the game just to show SE that money can be made multi platform in hopes of getting FF 13.

now it could easily sell a million units which i think would be enough to recoup the cost no

Edit

And again this game isn't coming out now

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see why not the 360 tools are much more advanced right now than the PS3 tools especially when MGS4 development started. There has not been any multi platform games that the PS3 has clearly pissed on the 360 version even ones with the PS3 being the lead. The only issue IMO would be space because of the FMV. Use the in game engine and some compression on stuff and the results would be close enough. If they could get 80% or 90% of the ps3 version I think most would be happy just keep a solid frame rate.

I really fail to see your point. I'm not talking about multiplatformers, but specific, exlusively constructed experiences that play to the strenght of the console (I'm pretty sure the game will be CPU heavy : Physics mainly...).

I can't, i don't have your ability Mr Cleo.

I don't have to look into the future to see the present.

There is currently no evidence to suggest MGS4 would have to be "gimped down" to run on xb360. The game will be level based (disc swapable) and the tech difference between xb360 and ps3 is too small to suggest one would have to be "gimped down" to run on the other.

This is of course assuming two things:
1) the game will ship this gen, not on xb720 or ps4
and
2) the specs of both machines will remain idle

I don't have to look into the future to see the present.

There is currently no evidence to suggest MGS4 would have to be "gimped down" to run on xb360. The game will be level based (disc swapable)

What you do in one stage can also affect later stages of the game

;)

and the tech difference between xb360 and ps3 is too small to suggest one would have tobe "gimped down" to run on the other.

The jury is still out on that

The only issue IMO would be space because of the FMV. Use the in game engine and some compression on stuff and the results would be close enough

You actually think that kojima production isn't doing this on ps3 ?

now it could easily sell a million units which i think would be enough to recoup the cost no

It doesn't really matter if it could easily sell a million units, and recoup the cost. This is a place of business, its not some cult with an alternative motive to spread art and joy and influence to the world through games.

This is how a project assessment of MGS4 would be:

A: Predict potential income, discounted on probability (which gives you a fairly good number to work with, basically what you do is have multiple "scenarios" then calculate probability for that scenario, multiply probability in each scenario with cash flow, and add it all up).
B: Talk to Sony about getting subsidies (i.e. monetary grant) if possible.
C: Predict cash flow from a possible port.
D: Talk to MS about getting subsidies for porting it.
E: Add potentia loss by hurting Kojima's feelings (if there is any). For example, will Kojima quit, if we do this? How much is his name worth etc..

If (A)+(B) < (C)+(D)-(E) there is going to be a port.

If you can recoup the cost just making a ps3 version is irrelevant, if you can earn more money by porting it. In the end, the stockholder want return on their investment, they don't care about how good MGS4 might look and play on a PS3.

I cannot see them forcing Kojima to do something he doesn't want to do.

1. Doesn't have to be ported by Kojima
2. Believe it or not, stockholders own stock to earn money, not to make friends.

Look what the Pro Evo guy did when they told him they won't be doing a PS3 version of WE10.

Half assed port of the PS2 version, while he continued working on a fully fledged next gen version using the PS3.

You really think that was what happen? Or did they just make a quick easy port in order to earn some easy money?

At "best" the Pro Evo guy said he would rather work on the PS3 version, than making a port, and argue a case about how that would be better.

He wouldn't refuse to do it, if your boss tells you do something, you do it, or you don't have a job.

But I am not Kojima.

If I was him, they couldn't force me to do anything, I would leave and go it alone.

And you would also not be able to create any more MGS projects, because Kojima himself doesn't own the IP.

And that comment was made to your Pro-evo guy comment, not kojima.

:LOL:

Kojima has repeatedly made it clear that he will never gimp MGS down to 360 levels like Rockstar had to for GTA.

The core represented a limitation doesn't mean Rockstar gimped anything down. GTA comes from a single DVD no HDD based model.

It's not how big the install base is for other systems. What really matters is if there is a viable MGS fan base on those systems.

And you would also not be able to create any more MGS projects, because Kojima himself doesn't own the IP.

And that comment was made to your Pro-evo guy comment, not kojima.

errrr well, MGS is shit without Kojima involvement so your argument is faulty, well think about it, MGS and Kojima go hand in hand if one is missing then neither is great.

errrr well, MGS is shit without Kojima involvement so your argument is faulty, well think about it, MGS and Kojima go hand in hand if one is missing then neither is great.

Wow!

Attention everybody, here is a fine poster, obviously skilled in the art of debate, how can any one argue with this amazing logic?

On a more serious note, did you even read what you responded to? I mean, you read it, obviously, but did you understand it?

I simply replied to DJ12 comment, about how if he was Kojima he would just leave and do it alone.

And i pointed out that if Kojima were to leave, he wouldn't be able to create any more MGS games, because he doesn't own the rights to it.

MGS being sh*t or not without Kojima's involvement is completely irrelevant.

Back