Metal Gear Solid 4 gameplay trailer @ TGS

i think the game looks like crap. hope kojima doesn't f this up, mgs2 was a masterpiece.

A masterpiece it was - though not necessarely because of the graphics IMO. The game was on such a different level in just about everything; immersiveness, AI, what you could do as Snake (shoot any object, use practically everything to influence how enemy soldiers reacted to things around them, like shooting into glass or objects around them, the humour, the smoothness of the engine, shadows, lights etc). MGS4 seems to be shaping up to be no exception - environments are destructable (some anyway), you can use new objects to hide, a suit that adapts to surroundings, metal-gears that can climb, break through walls, jump, run, so many soliders on screen that are not only fighting against you but fighting against other enemy soliders as well (a real warzone) etc... how can this not become an even greater masterpiece? It already is for me, from the little footage that has been shown! That's my take anyway!

A masterpiece it was - though not necessarely because of the graphics IMO. The game was on such a different level in just about everything; immersiveness, AI, what you could do as Snake (shoot any object, use practically everything to influence how enemy soldiers reacted to things around them, like shooting into glass or objects around them, the humour, the smoothness of the engine, shadows, lights etc). MGS4 seems to be shaping up to be no exception - environments are destructable (some anyway), you can use new objects to hide, a suit that adapts to surroundings, metal-gears that can climb, break through walls, jump, run, so many soliders on screen that are not only fighting against you but fighting against other enemy soliders as well (a real warzone) etc... how can this not become an even greater masterpiece? It already is for me, from the little footage that has been shown! That's my take anyway!
The AI sucks judging by that video. It's not only blind but deaf. There are not really "so many soldiers", more like just a few, the graphics at this stage are very average too.

Nothing I've seen in MGS4 has impressed me beyond the first E3 trailer, and the raiden scene (well ok, some of the snake camo stuff was cool). But you're right, the game has a ton of potential, especially with regards to story.

I disagree however about MGS2 graphics. When it came out it had, by far, the best graphics i had seen anywhere. The bridge in the intro, the rainy ship, the bar in the bottom with the breaking glass and ice cubes, damn that was amazing.

I was more drawing attention to the graphics. The game does not look good to me. The textures especially kill it for me. The lighting is completely unrealistic (looks like static lightmaps), and the shadows suck (poorly contrasted?). Give me an MGS4 with a fully dynamic light/shadow system and you've got a win imo.

Nothing. They look great. Now tell me what's right with these textures...

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5327/ps3metalgearsolid4gunsofthepatriots1158892487zy7.jpg
http://images.playsyde.com/gallery/public/4198/899_0002.jpg

'Coz if you hadn't been following, we were talking about particular examples, and not just carpet-complaining (carpet-bombing with complaints) about every MGS4 texture.

Probably going be fixed before the game is released. I mean the man does have a year still left in development.

Ok, I've fixed them. They're pics from this thread anyhow.
They're not blurry - they're pixelated!

Quite probably. I wasn't saying MGS4 was downgraded, or even had bad texturing overall. I was just commenting on the linked to images that do show really bad quality aspects. I'm just commenting on the content people bring to the table. When you get some people looking at pictures with hideous texturing saying they can't see anything wrong with that picture, I do this...:oops:

If they say they don't see anything wrong with the game as a whole, because there's much better examples out there, that's a different story.

To clarify, looking at this...
ps3metalgearsolid4gunsofthepatriots1158892487zy7.jpg

we can't say the game has a whole has been downgraded, but we can say that picture doesn't look a patch on previous showings where it's technically and artistically inferior (for whatever reasons).

And in previous showings they did have textures that looked that bad. As a matter of fact that WHOLE video from TGS 2005 looked that bad or slightly better. Please watch that video again to see for yourself.

And in previous showings they did have textures that looked that bad. As a matter of fact that WHOLE video from TGS 2005 looked that bad or slightly better. Please watch that video again to see for yourself.
No, while the texturing was equally as bad, Snake and paticulary the lighting took a hit. I mean, there's not a dynamic light in this last trailer.

The lighting is completely unrealistic (looks like static lightmaps), and the shadows suck (poorly contrasted?). Give me an MGS4 with a fully dynamic light/shadow system and you've got a win imo.

MGS4 has a dynamic lighting/shadowing system, it was shown at last years TGS. But I agree it seems to be missing in some parts of the trailer, esp indoor areas.

Indeed. The textures are low res and flat, lighting is pretty flat too, animations are terrible and so is the framerate. I can't see how people can say they're impressed...

I meant the gameplay portion. The demo was sposed to show us the high point of the new gameplay but i find it unengaging and not much a departure from MGS running on weaker systems.

I meant the gameplay portion. The demo was sposed to show us the high point of the new gameplay but i find it unengaging and not much a departure from MGS running on weaker systems.

If you've played MGS2 and MGS3 then you would really really see that alot of the things that Old man Snake can do now is alot different than those earlier games.

you can keep adding moves but if the rest of the gameplay doesnt catch up, whats the point? i mean food, injury, camo, cqc are fun little additions that sadly did not bring much to the series. I still play MGS3 like the way i played MGS1, MGS2.

MGS4 has a dynamic lighting/shadowing system, it was shown at last years TGS. But I agree it seems to be missing in some parts of the trailer, esp indoor areas.

IMO, I really think the latest trailer shows too few indoor scenes to really make a valid comparison. Lets face it, the last trailer was 90% indoor areas, showing off close-ups of Snake, his suit, the sweat on his face and the emotions he showed (him wanting to kill himself, fear, emotions etc) - this latest trailer is around 90% of the opposite; The only places where you see close-ups of Snake are the ones in outdoor areas which are over exposed and far to bright to see any of the subtle details that made the last trailer so special. I like the way the outdoor areas are over-exposed... It would be, given the game takes place in the desert.

you can keep adding moves but if the rest of the gameplay doesnt catch up, whats the point? i mean food, injury, camo, cqc are fun little additions that sadly did not bring much to the series. I still play MGS3 like the way i played MGS1, MGS2.

Personally I ve seen a few woth mentioning differences in that trailer.

Examples:
The new CQC system seems more advanced
The part where he fights the Metal Gear
You can now run while ducking.
The ability to blent with the enviroment seems to work differently from MGS3. I liked the part where snake blended with the ground in the middle of a gunfight.
Snake can now throw grenades while on the ground backwards.
You are in a battlefiled of armies fighting each other instead of infiltrating a camp or an area with sentries belonging to onen certain enemy. This may offer more variability and unpredictability in fights.

Also since we never playied 4 we cant come up with conclusions that its just like every other MGS. The biggest problem with 2 and 3 was that it had the world divided into seperate areas, so it kind of made the game and AI predictable.

The game may ofer more than enough gameplay advancements imo. Its hard to imagine too many new ideas that can work in MGS.
From personal experience in the army it seems convincing enough already and almost complete. The AI is what will make the biggest difference and interactivity with the enviroment.

I d like to hear some of your ideas though that you believe can make the game better and fresher :)

I agree with Nesh. If destructable environments, metal gears that can jump, run and climb makes it into the final game, that'd be more than enough to be already playing the game quite differently. Above all, Metal Gear Solid 4 seems to be the first that actually takes place in a WarZone. Kojima hinted that there are (at least?) two parties fighting against each other and the player as Snake will have the option who to help / fight against that might change the way the game will play.

Think about this....

mgs4_face01.jpg

Above : Old man Snake - but how can the camo be on his face too? The camo is just part of the suit.
mgs4_face02.jpg

Above : The camo is fading away, just like the camo on the suit. Is the 'old' face just a disguise too?
mgs4_face03.jpg

Above : Here's the full camo suit in action. We see - for the first time - that it includes a head part too.
mgs4_face04.jpg

Above : The head part is removed… And it's young Snake. Is the 'old' Snake just a mask projected by the camo suit?

I really think that Kojima is playing mind game's. I think there is no "OLD" snake and its just a disguise. Kojima has already said you can change into the enemy's cloth's now imagine that and also being able to copy face's of the enemy for true camouflage.

Back