Metal Gear Solid 4 gameplay trailer @ TGS

The biggest problem to me right now, is the general flattness for both textures and lighting, hopefully that will be resolved though. If it is indeed a late 2007 games this has long ways of going...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/vk-fallen/3-1.jpg

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5327/ps3metalgearsolid4gunsofthepatriots1158892487zy7.jpg

The first picture is from E3 2005 and the other one is a new picture from gameplay. If you open both of those and compare them side by side they are clearly different in graphic quality. Often times I have heard and I myself have said it that MGS2 trailers looked like the game as a proof that MGS 4 will do the same, but Konami has to do lot more work to make it look like that first picture.

I'm not saying that it looks bad or that it won't be an awesome game, but just wanted to point out that with the latest gameplay footage the quality of the graphics has come down. Are they making this 1080p too, could that explain the lowered quality?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/vk-fallen/3-1.jpg

http://img83.imageshack.us/img83/5327/ps3metalgearsolid4gunsofthepatriots1158892487zy7.jpg

The first picture is from E3 2005 and the other one is a new picture from gameplay. If you open both of those and compare them side by side they are clearly different in graphic quality. Often times I have heard and I myself have said it that MGS2 trailers looked like the game as a proof that MGS 4 will do the same, but Konami has to do lot more work to make it look like that first picture.

I'm not saying that it looks bad or that it won't be an awesome game, but just wanted to point out that with the latest gameplay footage the quality of the graphics has come down. Are they making this 1080p too, could that explain the lowered quality?

Mind point out what is exactly you see that is "clearly different"? I imagine you're just talking about the Snake model?

They look like the exact same model to me -- different lighting conditions aside.

The TGS 2006 footage looks different because Kojima romoved that stupid green screen filter and thats what changed the games look's

Mind point out what is exactly you see that is "clearly different"? I imagine you're just talking about the Snake model?

They look like the exact same model to me -- different lighting conditions aside.

Just look at the hair, if that looks the same to you, well...

Just look at the hair, if that looks the same to you, well...

How can you really compare those 2 screens you posted? look how dark the lighting conditions are in the E3'05 pic are compared to the very bright TGS pic, honestly make a fairer comparison if your to be taken seriously.

Second pic looks far inferior to me. It's totally lacking the realism. That's not just the difference in lighting, but the shading doesn't look right. It loks like a darker pic that's been brightened and so doing, has lost the natural contrast. And the texture resolution is painfully low. Seriously, I've seen less blocky PS1 textures. :no:

Put the two pictures side by side, and look at the face and hair, I see big difference, the suit however looks more or less the same.

How can you really compare those 2 screens you posted? look how dark the lighting conditions are in the E3'05 pic are compared to the very bright TGS pic, honestly make a fairer comparison if your to be taken seriously.
If you think the difference in lighting is the only thing making a difference there, then I quess that's your opinion and I have different opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a few screen grabs i just took from the TGS 2006 trailer, IGN's picture's seem way to bright and seem to have lost the detail and some colour as a result.

pdvd018tx1.jpg

pdvd020xm5.jpg

pdvd023xz6.jpg

pdvd024gb8.jpg

Very last pic of snake is :cool:

Perhaps it's your monitor that is set to a darker brightness level than normal. They seem perfectly visible on mine.

Second pic looks far inferior to me. It's totally lacking the realism. That's not just the difference in lighting, but the shading doesn't look right. It loks like a darker pic that's been brightened and so doing, has lost the natural contrast. And the texture resolution is painfully low. Seriously, I've seen less blocky PS1 textures. :no:

I think you guys are underestimating what different lighting conditions can do. The model looks to be the same exact model (that blocky texture you're talking about, shifty, is not really relevant -- it's closer to the camera than it should be and there has always been places that had low texture res... even in the first realtime stuff we saw). Maybe MGS4 did have its Snake model downgraded, but these two shots are far from showing anything conclusive about it.

I'd need a bit more comparable viewpoint and lighting condition to come to any sort of conclusion. The hair texture could be different, but I can't tell because of the lighting.

I admit that the lighting does make a difference there, but after watching both the old and new trailer and lot's of pics, it is pretty clear that the model has taken a hit.

I think you guys are underestimating what different lighting conditions can do. The model looks to be the same exact model.
Possibly, but I was complaining about the shading. The head wasn't shaded with the same realism as the other Snake pics. Still, mrboo's linked-to pics show a better quality overall. Maybe I was right in my guess as to a brightened image?
(that blocky texture you're talking about, shifty, is not really relevant -- it's closer to the camera than it should be and there has always been places that had low texture res... even in the first realtime stuff we saw).
It's still terrible in the extreme though! Nothing next gen about it at all. Compare that lumpy piece to concrete to GOW's and see what next-gen cover should look like! If the game allows you to get that scenery that close to the camera, they should provide far better texturing. It's bad design otherwise.

Possibly, but I was complaining about the shading. The head wasn't shaded with the same realism as the other Snake pics. Still, mrboo's linked-to pics show a better quality overall. Maybe I was right in my guess as to a brightened image?
Brightened or something similar could explain some of it (and different lighting condition could explain the rest). It does look rather washed out. I'm kind of curious now... the face/body looks the same to me -- the only thing I have questions about is the hair (which from that picture looks to have a texture change, but it could quite easily be the lighting). I keep forgetting to take a look at the TGS trailer -- been stupidly busy lately!
It's still terrible in the extreme though! Nothing next gen about it at all. Compare that lumpy piece to concrete to GOW's and see what next-gen cover should look like! If the game allows you to get that scenery that close to the camera, they should provide far better texturing. It's bad design otherwise.
I'd agree that texture is pretty bad, but it's possible you won't normally be able to get so close to it unless you purposely try (e.g. the standard camera angle isn't going to be positioned in situations like that) -- you wouldn't be playing the game from that view anyways... Snake is shooting in that picture, you wouldn't be able to see what you're shooting at (subsistance camera should allow you to do that kind of stuff though, as impractical as it is). It would be irrational to expect every texture to be highest quality (there are memory limits afterall). I'd expect there to be GoW textures that look equally ugly if you managed to put the camera that close (does GoW have a similar controllable camera system as MGS4?) -- same with every other game in existance.

What's all this talk about downgraded Snake model and horrible textures? Did you guys even look at the video or are you just screenshot kids?

The video's textures looked like this.

2a7h2qd.jpg

48x92fb.jpg

2qurb6r.jpg

So I ask, what's wrong with those textures? Like the guy said above mentioned even in a great looking game like Gears of War even it has some spots were the textures don't look their best.

But look at that Middle Eastern wall. It looks exactly what it's suppose to look like.
This is what the textures look like on a real wall from the same type of building.

20050522-4_p44900-401-515h.jpg

Again basically the same. Something the PS2 or Xbox couldn't do as well as MGS4 is doing.

What's all this talk about downgraded Snake model and horrible textures? Did you guys even look at the video or are you just screenshot kids?

The video's textures looked like this.
2qurb6r.jpg

There's quite a bit wrong with that texture.

Furthermore, you're trying to compare blurry off-screen video captures with direct-feed screenshots...

The game has fantastic leading character models, no doubt, but the lighting and textures have taken a very noticeable downgrade.

Yes, the differences are quite obvious.

I wonder what the reasons are, if they were able to present the announcement trailer on an unfinished, underpowered devkit in realtime, why isn't it working for them in the game?

There's quite a bit wrong with that texture.

Furthermore, you're trying to compare blurry off-screen video captures with direct-feed screenshots...

The game has fantastic leading character models, no doubt, but the lighting and textures have taken a very noticeable downgrade.

What wrong with that texture? Explain please. Just like we've seen with the TGS 2005 video the direct feed video was better than "ALL" blurry off-screen video. Again watch the video.

Laa-Yosh said:
Yes, the differences are quite obvious.

I wonder what the reasons are, if they were able to present the announcement trailer on an unfinished, underpowered devkit in realtime, why isn't it working for them in the game?

The game looks the same and in a lot of spots better now than it did at last years TGS 2005 video. Again look at the video. Your memories of the TGS 2005 video must be messed up.

I'll say again watch the video, unless being a screenshot kid is what you want to be. Why would anybody want to take the screenshots to be what the game will look like over the video. What's going on around here? This board is suppose to be the board of reason and intellence. But it seems like it's worst than other crazier boards on the internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back