Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) E3 2006 trailer

pakotlar said:
Lighting, for one, does not looks as good on the face.

Um... I think because in one there's actually a light source, while there isn't in the other. The newer picture looks to be a higher poly model.

All we need is the 720p version of the extended 15min trailer. After that is released, one can make definite judgement on this game being downgraded or not.

I made an earlier mistake for bullying Resistence when I watched the Sony Conference stream live, and saw some low res cam footage. It really made a huge difference when you see that game in the 720p trailer come alive, everything comes out very sharp and clear with nice textures and war-atmosphere, physics and explosionsparticles look very good in there. The game really becomes interesting purely cuz of that 720p stuff, from what I first thought was just another boring FPS.

If I were a dev or publisher, I would make sure that any published game with have gotten HD trailers before the lowres crap came out. You can shoot yourself in the foot if people back off disappointed from a crappy cam-trailer and never look back to that game anymore. Anti-advertisment. Don't understand why not all of them devvers and publishers make hi-res footage a priority for release on the Net.

I dont think there is a reason of discussing whether MGS4 is downgraded or not. There is no reason for it to be downgraded and Kojima always delivers. He can only improve it, but downgrade? Completely out of the question.

Nesh said:
I dont think there is a reason of discussing whether MGS4 is downgraded or not. There is no reason for it to be downgraded and Kojima always delivers. He can only improve it, but downgrade? Completely out of the question.

you can tell is an ugrade just by looking at the textures.

For those of you who have wateched the full 15 min trailer, is it just me or is there major slow down during the cemetary scene where Otacon gets off the heli?

There is slowdown in a couple of places (mech chase scene) No biggie, either they'll fix it by optimization, or they'll cut out some detail. A few glitches in an otherwise masterpiece.

NANOTEC said:
For those of you who have wateched the full 15 min trailer, is it just me or is there major slow down during the cemetary scene where Otacon gets off the heli?
No, it isn't just you, the slowdowns in various parts of the trailer were noticed many many posts ago by many people.
Kinda expected from an engine that's still in progress, I'm sure Sony... I mean Konami will still tweak the code before final release.
Still, I don't think slowdowns will be completely unheard of in PS3 games either, some devs just push the machines too hard. They're not unlimited power you know, there will become a limit at some point ;)

I'm seeing quite a lot of slowdown in these next-gen titles. Hopefully it's a matter of refinement and we're not going to be lumbered with slowdown on console games.

Shifty Geezer said:
I'm seeing quite a lot of slowdown in these next-gen titles. Hopefully it's a matter of refinement and we're not going to be lumbered with slowdown on console games.

Btw, speaking of that, It seems Kojima was very unhappy about them and of course, apologize about them and will fix them asap. He talked about another technical issue in the trailer but I dont remember what was the name of it...

msia2k75 said:
Btw, speaking of that, It seems Kojima was very unhappy about them and of course, apologize about them and will fix them asap. He talked about another technical issue in the trailer but I dont remember what was the name of it...

It was texture warping.

Ok, I saw the 15 min trailer. I have nothing more to say. Everyone has already written so much about it. HK is a genious, he never dissapoints. Hats off to him and Team MGS.

BTW, people replay the trailer and pause at 08.55, the cardboard box says "No Place for Hideo". :LOL:

Deepak said:
Ok, I saw the 15 min trailer. I have nothing more to say. Everyone has already written so much about it. HK is a genious, he never dissapoints. Hats off to him and Team MGS.

BTW, people replay the trailer and pause at 08.55, the cardboard box says "No Place for Hideo". :LOL:
I ve seen it too but forgot to mention it.

I wonder what Hideo ment with that. Or was it another joke just playing with the words "no place to hide"?

rabidrabbit said:
No, it isn't just you, the slowdowns in various parts of the trailer were noticed many many posts ago by many people.
Kinda expected from an engine that's still in progress

I only really noticed big drops during the Gears vs. Snake scene. And like I noted earlier, those scenes are apparently demoing real-time physics based destruction of the buildings. Kojima said the deformation is different every time they run the trailer on the devkit. Wouldn't surprise me if something like that isnt very optimized yet.

Nesh said:
I wonder what Hideo ment with that. Or was it another joke just playing with the words "no place to hide"?

If there wasn't a subtext, it would be a first for the man. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Nesh said:
I ve seen it too but forgot to mention it.

That was in the old teaser trailer too (the one done on the PS2 hardware). I think it was a reference to rumours that MGS3 was his last MGS as director of the series.
Then there was the scene with the directors chair with his name on it, to say he`s doing MGS4 as well.

liverkick said:
I only really noticed big drops during the Gears vs. Snake scene. And like I noted earlier, those scenes are apparently demoing real-time physics based destruction of the buildings. Kojima said the deformation is different every time they run the trailer on the devkit.

Really? Do you have a link on that? I've been waiting to hear confirmation of that :D

Back