Metal Gear Solid 4 gameplay trailer @ TGS

The truth of the matter is that in the MGS world they had the technology for advanced genetic engineering years and years ago then by the time of MGS4 they could reverse Snake's aging process.

Perhaps if everyone is used to seeing him old with grey hair he is using the face mask to make sure everyone still sees him that way.

But is there an "OLD" snake? Thats the question.

I know, but you know, I'm just saying that Old Snake looks kick ass, the first and second picture I get a Clint Eastwood type vibe from him......And Clint Eastwood is THE Badass. Besides, I've been through two MGS launches, and at this point (and MGS3 mostly to blame, hueg dissapointment for me personally) I just don't feel like spending hours into trying to figure out whats going to happen. I guess in reality, its the best thing to have happend, because when I (eventually) get to play MGS4, I'll come in with low expectations and very little knowledge of the game or story. And in typical Kojima fashion, I'll be blown away.

I just wish we could get some *real* gameplay footage. I mean, Hideo did show us gameplay, no doubt about it......but like in every trailer, he puts it into a scenario where it looks cooler and more enjoyable than it actually is. Not forgetting the cinematic angles. Hype raiser? Definantly. *Completly* representive of gameplay? Yeah, Kinda but not completly.

I just realized that some of the pictures in question about the "blurry" textures are from grabs of the video that's not even from a direct feed.

The grabs were from a videocam that was directed at the huge screen where the trailer was being played during the TGS show... maybe even from E3...

does anyone have a direct feed video of the game?

I just realized that some of the pictures in question about the "blurry" textures are from grabs of the video that's not even from a direct feed.

The grabs were from a videocam that was directed at the huge screen where the trailer was being played during the TGS show... maybe even from E3...

does anyone have a direct feed video of the game?
I think gametrailers has one

Think about this....

mgs4_face01.jpg

Above : Old man Snake - but how can the camo be on his face too? The camo is just part of the suit.
mgs4_face02.jpg

Above : The camo is fading away, just like the camo on the suit. Is the 'old' face just a disguise too?
mgs4_face03.jpg

Above : Here's the full camo suit in action. We see - for the first time - that it includes a head part too.
mgs4_face04.jpg

Above : The head part is removed… And it's young Snake. Is the 'old' Snake just a mask projected by the camo suit?

I really think that Kojima is playing mind game's. I think there is no "OLD" snake and its just a disguise. Kojima has already said you can change into the enemy's cloth's now imagine that and also being able to copy face's of the enemy for true camouflage.

Man those are some really nice pictures. I noticed a good quality of HDR in the background in that last shot.

Man those are some really nice pictures. I noticed a good quality of HDR in the background in that last shot.

HDR is a dynamic effect, you see the tone changing depending on how much light there's in the screen

what you can see from a screenshot is BLOOM.
and it' not so good in quality, check the hair in snake face, why are they so bright?

Last edited by a moderator:
Think about this....

mgs4_face01.jpg

Above : Old man Snake - but how can the camo be on his face too? The camo is just part of the suit.
mgs4_face02.jpg

Above : The camo is fading away, just like the camo on the suit. Is the 'old' face just a disguise too?
mgs4_face03.jpg

Above : Here's the full camo suit in action. We see - for the first time - that it includes a head part too.
mgs4_face04.jpg

Above : The head part is removed… And it's young Snake. Is the 'old' Snake just a mask projected by the camo suit?

I really think that Kojima is playing mind game's. I think there is no "OLD" snake and its just a disguise. Kojima has already said you can change into the enemy's cloth's now imagine that and also being able to copy face's of the enemy for true camouflage.

See, those pictures look really good. The problem is that the TGS video did not show me this quality consistently. In particular the great lighting and dynamic shadows I saw in the E3 debut trailer are missing in the TGS 2006 video.

HDR is a dynamic effect, you see the tone changing depending on how much light there's in the screen

what you can see from a screenshot is BLOOM.
and it' not so good in quality, check the hair in snake face, why are they so bright?

I think thats a problem with the capture. The video I ve seen wasnt bright. It looked normal. I dont know if you ve seen the video. But if it looked that bright I dont think the bird shit would have been visible on his face if you know what I mean :LOL:

Looks completely overexposed compared to the nice natural deep lighting that was in the original trailer.

I don't now how people can not see this, hell I noticed it when the first 400x300px scan was posted from Famitsu, the lighting was way flat compared to the previous trailer, that was my very first thought on seeing the screen, these larger captures only make it that much more obvious.

Its not the game, its the footage. All the footage is way to bright due to useing a camera and it makes the colours look washed out, here are some proper screen's

kona06mb7.jpg

kona10sv8.jpg

kona11on2.jpg

kona15se4.jpg

The crappy footage does this game no favors at all.

Looks completely overexposed compared to the nice natural deep lighting that was in the original trailer.

I don't now how people can not see this, hell I noticed it when the first 400x300px scan was posted from Famitsu, the lighting was way flat compared to the previous trailer, that was my very first thought on seeing the screen, these larger captures only make it that much more obvious.

It's over-exposed, not because the game is over-exposing things, but because the captures we're judging things from were most likely taken in dark environments with the screen being quite bright. I have multiple versions from the trailer - not all of them are that over-exposed. I have a smaller quality clip of the trailer that is much sharper (you can see the bird shit in that last scene), where as in the PlaySide versions that you can download in either HD quality you can't as, the recording is quite clearly over-exposed. That IS the obvious.

I tried to make some captures but didnt work as well as I was expecting. Anyways I believe these are better. They are direct feed. Unfortunately the captures dont look nearly as good as the video

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/Vigil22/2.jpg
3.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/Vigil22/4.jpg
[img]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/Vigil22/5.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/Vigil22/7.jpg
8.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/Vigil22/9.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/Vigil22/1.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a117/Vigil22/10.jpg
11.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

The over-exposure could be a factor either of a virtual camera in the game engine mimicking a real camera, or the camera taking the footage off the screen. As you've got a dark suit and background filling up most of the view, and a pale, directly lit face, if you want some detail in the dark areas the face would end up being overexposed on a traditional camera setup. If this is happening in the game camera, the tone mapping could (and probably should) be adjusted to bring the top-end into the display's gamut. However, it could be an artistic choice. If you consider the film Serenity or episodes of the new Battlestar Galactica, you get modern photography going for over-exposure to give an impression of a very bright place (which I hate...grrrrrr).

It's not clear where the fault lies, whether in the capture (which being off screen is going to degrade quality considerably) or the rendering (which may be an artistic choice). Discussion of exposure can't really be had without direct screen grabs. Technical discussion is quite limited - texture and model resolution are about the only things you can derive a real idea for from these stills. Colour, contrast, fidelity, shaders, jaggies and texture-filtering, all need direct grabs if they're to be examined.

In the direct feed videos theres not nearly as much overexposure and washed out picture as the non-direct feed captures, that much is obvious.

Back