Mass Effect: Andromeda

The game is having serious frame issues on XBO. I'm so tempted to cancel my XBO and go to PC. Sigh, so many friends on XBO though. But this 20fps shit is killing me and i have a perfectly good 1070 sitting here doing nothing.

The game is having serious frame issues on XBO. I'm so tempted to cancel my XBO and go to PC. Sigh, so many friends on XBO though. But this 20fps shit is killing me and i have a perfectly good 1070 sitting here doing nothing.
Only had really bad frame rate issues in one spot during my 3 hours play time (first planet..when flash light is used indoors..it just tanked super hard a one point). I'm on a regular One..don't know if the One S is slightly better. Cut scenes are busted/choppy on all platforms. Frame-rate isn't particularly better on the regular PS4 (PS4Pro also has serious dips on 1st planet). Lats but not least; PC version is a Hogg..running on an i7-6700k + FuryX and 60fps is a no no at 1440p with everything at max. Even dips below 30fps and it looks identical to the console version besides the higher resolution when hooked to my Panasonic PDP.

Anyway, game seems nice so far. Didn't encounter any bugs at all (unlike all the GIFs making the rounds which seem to mostly be from the PC version).. facial animation isn't as bad as I thought... but the eyes shading is the worst this generation...wtf Bioware...

uh oh. I was thinking of buying before reviews hit. Maybe not?

That's really too bad. I doubt I'd have played ME3 MP on PC back then because I knew a couple folks who'd play a fair bit on 360.

Kinda disheartening to hear the game's current messy state, hope the day one patch fixes most of it but I doubt it. Ugly fem Ryder is an easy fix tho, I'm good at creating my own half way decent looking character but the dead eye shaders, poor hit detection boxes and moon "literally" walk cycles have got to go. Still day one it.

I ordered the game on PC, but I have a few games to finish before starting it. I hope some patchs will fix it by then.

EDIT : ah sh*t , I'm in the console section. Sorry.

Last edited:
Only had really bad frame rate issues in one spot during my 3 hours play time (first planet..when flash light is used indoors..it just tanked super hard a one point). I'm on a regular One..don't know if the One S is slightly better. Cut scenes are busted/choppy on all platforms. Frame-rate isn't particularly better on the regular PS4 (PS4Pro also has serious dips on 1st planet). Lats but not least; PC version is a Hogg..running on an i7-6700k + FuryX and 60fps is a no no at 1440p with everything at max. Even dips below 30fps and it looks identical to the console version besides the higher resolution when hooked to my Panasonic PDP.

Anyway, game seems nice so far. Didn't encounter any bugs at all (unlike all the GIFs making the rounds which seem to mostly be from the PC version).. facial animation isn't as bad as I thought... but the eyes shading is the worst this generation...wtf Bioware...
hmm. sounds rushed. Thanks for the update. Did you get passed the tram yet? does the game get smoother? I did cancel my XBO pre-order, and changed it to PC ;) I guess I still have time to change it back.

uh oh. I was thinking of buying before reviews hit. Maybe not?
Yea, I can't say yet whether this game is great or not. I think what hit me hard last night after my play session was that despite the overall poor framerate, the enemies appeared to be animated at even _less_ fps than 30. I know it sounds hard to believe, and I might just be BS'ing hard, but I really seems like at a distance the enermy animation frame rate was not in sync with the rest of the game. Which gives you the Halo 5 effect, except that 30fps animations on 60 fps isn't nearly as bad as 15fps animations on < 30fps.

hmm. sounds rushed. Thanks for the update. Did you get passed the tram yet? does the game get smoother? I did cancel my XBO pre-order, and changed it to PC ;) I guess I still have time to change it back.
Pass the tram? Don't know where that is (unless you are talking about the tram in the spaceships that acts as a glorified loading screen?) So far I stoped playing after reaching the Nexus and talking to most of the crew there. Fps really went to shit when the flash light was used but understandable given what was being rendered (ssr, soft shadows casted by the flash light etc). Perf is def not locked at 30Fps at all time that's for sure. Unfortunately that appears to be the case on all platforms. Surprised that it runs and looks this "good" (still far from great obviously) on the Xbox One given what the engine is pushing out & how underpowered the console is compared to a PC. IQ is perfectly fine (AA is top notch) resolution seems to be dynamic AFAICS.

Last edited:
Yea, I can't say yet whether this game is great or not. I think what hit me hard last night after my play session was that despite the overall poor framerate, the enemies appeared to be animated at even _less_ fps than 30. I know it sounds hard to believe, and I might just be BS'ing hard, but I really seems like at a distance the enermy animation frame rate was not in sync with the rest of the game. Which gives you the Halo 5 effect, except that 30fps animations on 60 fps isn't nearly as bad as 15fps animations on < 30fps.

That happens on Bloodborne as well, they might be using it on ME:A too. Basically enemy animations at a distance update at half the refresh rate, which in this case that would be 15 fps.

Pass the tram? Don't know where that is (unless you are talking about the tram in the spaceships that acts as a glorified loading screen?) So far I stoped playing after reaching the Nexus and talking to most of the crew there. Fps really went to shit when the flash light was used but understandable given what was being rendered (ssr, soft shadows casted by the flash light etc). Perf is def not locked at 30Fps at all time that's for sure. Unfortunately that appears to be the case on all platforms. Surprised that it runs and looks this "good" (still far from great obviously) on the Xbox One given what the engine is pushing out & how underpowered the console is compared to a PC. IQ is perfectly fine (AA is top notch) resolution seems to be dynamic AFAICS.
Yea we stopped as the same part lol ;)

That happens on Bloodborne as well, they might be using it on ME:A too. Basically enemy animations at a distance update at half the refresh rate, which in this case that would be 15 fps.
ahh i see.
I have limits though as much as I can tolerate it poorer visual quality, I haven't had the chance to play MP, but if it's got framerate like SP, I don't think it's worth it, I won't enjoy it. When there is a $600 dollar video card laying around, I'm not going to suffer this, when I can't even adjust to 30fps, it's just not happening. I remember going from 100+fps (Overwatch on my 144hz monitor) to 30fps (destiny on XBO on my TV) being so jarring and destiny is a pretty solid 30fps, felt like a slideshow for 5 minutes until my brain re calibrated.

I do worry as I think you said earlier, in the day of age of post W3 and HZD, Zelda, etc... will this game pass? sigh... if I wasn't such a ME junkie... I'm not sure how I would respond to all this.

ahh i see.
I have limits though as much as I can tolerate it poorer visual quality, I haven't had the chance to play MP, but if it's got framerate like SP, I don't think it's worth it, I won't enjoy it. When there is a $600 dollar video card laying around, I'm not going to suffer this, when I can't even adjust to 30fps, it's just not happening. I remember going from 100+fps (Overwatch on my 144hz monitor) to 30fps (destiny on XBO on my TV) being so jarring and destiny is a pretty solid 30fps, felt like a slideshow for 5 minutes until my brain re calibrated.

Just check it out on PC before you buy it because people on gaf have been reporting mixed performance even on GPUs like a 1070, but at least on PC you can cap the framerate at 30 fps and turn everything to ultra.

Just check it out on PC before you buy it because people on gaf have been reporting mixed performance even on GPUs like a 1070, but at least on PC you can cap the framerate at 30 fps and turn everything to ultra.
GDDDMIT.
Sigh... you're right I should do that with Origins Access, but this discount is going to be worth nothing very soon.

I have to make the same decision of PS4 or PC version. The same thing that friends for Co op are on the ps4.
But more importantly given how all games are made for consoles these days with a bad PC part thrown out I would want a least bug prone version here . But the allure of running it at ultra :-/
Or maybe get a PS4 version now and then go for a PC version late when it's on some super sale?
Gah !

On a more serious note , to the ppl playing: does it let u be a complete "renegade" like in ME2 ? The lines for renegade conversation were very entertaining in ME2 and I found I enjoyed and laughed around much more when I played as an aggressive jerk in ME2 ...Lol. does this game give u similar options to be a mindless angry dwarf ?? :) Please say yes !

I have to make the same decision of PS4 or PC version. The same thing that friends for Co op are on the ps4.
But more importantly given how all games are made for consoles these days with a bad PC part thrown out I would want a least bug prone version here . But the allure of running it at ultra :-/
Or maybe get a PS4 version now and then go for a PC version late when it's on some super sale?
Gah !

On a more serious note , to the ppl playing: does it let u be a complete "renegade" like in ME2 ? The lines for renegade conversation were very entertaining in ME2 and I found I enjoyed and laughed around much more when I played as an aggressive jerk in ME2 ...Lol. does this game give u similar options to be a mindless angry dwarf ?? :) Please say yes !
They removed the 3 colour dialog system entirely.
They are now based responses as:
logical, emotional, confused.. etc

You choose which 'tone' you want to go with. I haven't seen a lot of direct confrontation yet, but it may come later, I'm sure it will.

I fucking hate these bloody "tone" responses. Who ever said paraphrasing responses was a good or even elegant design choice? I think the original idea was that merely voicing lines which are already up on the screen was too redundant, but I take redundancy over potential confusion any day of the week. Besides, I never heard anyone complain about the way dialogue choices were handled in the Witcher games.
It's a role playing game for heaven's sake. I cannot really role play if my stupid character says shit I didn't want him to say because picking "sarcastic" as a choice can mean all kinds of things to all kinds of people.

Back