Mass Effect Trilogy

• Thread starter Deleted member 11852
  • Start date
Mind you I am tempted to reset for ME2 as I would like to try female Shepherd. The male voice actor really isn't working for me.

IME, male-shep has the tone to pull off the cornier lines. FemShep is a classy lady.

None of the DLC and I wasn't planning on getting the DLC. I'll be jumping straight to ME2 from the ending of ME1!

ME1 DLC is passable. They stepped things up for the sequels though.

There is a map that shows topography of planets that help you navigate around madly high mountains. I only discovered on Feros that there is first person targeting in the Mako - that sure as hell makes combat easier.
Yeah, the guides will certainly help cut down on wasted time. Still had to use them on multiple playthroughs as to which systems to spend time picking up miscellaneous artefacts/resources.

Good thing you're on PC: the 360 could be a real slide-show at times. o_O

Ooh... who do I pick for this suicide mission? :devilish:

Also, am sick of bloody Mako-based missions now. :yep2: I feel I'm drawing close to the end of the main campaign now and my biggest dilemma is do I replay ME1 as a renegade female adept or progress to ME2. Decisions, decisions..

Shepard is a female lone survivor with navy parents and anything else is non canon ! ;p

(Shepard female voice actor is really good, I very rarely play females in video games but for ME it's a big improvement.)

(Shepard female voice actor is really good, I very rarely play females in video games but for ME it's a big improvement.)
Yeah, femshep is Jennifer Hale who has extensive voice creds. I thought Admiral Hackett sounded like Lance Henriksen and that's because it is. Ditto Seth Green playing Joker. I did not spot Mirina Sirtia playing Matriarch Benezia though but to be fair, I spent 99% of our interactions trying to kill her.

Finished! The universe is saved!

27587.jpg

Jumping straight into Mass Effect 2. :runaway:

I was tempted to start over but instead I just imported my save and stuck with the infiltrator class. Maybe this time stealth and ranged will actually be viable - there was so little opportunity in the first game where I used the pistol 99% of the time.

Jumping straight into Mass Effect 2. :runaway:

I was tempted to start over but instead I just imported my save and stuck with the infiltrator class. Maybe this time stealth and ranged will actually be viable - there was so little opportunity in the first game where I used the pistol 99% of the time.
It's worth it to keep your save all the way through if you're going to play ME like this. I suggest ME3 on PC. There are choices you made in ME1 that will come back. Not huge story arcs but still,little interesting side story dialogues that you wouldn't get starting fresh on PS3.

The DLC is also worth it. Especially the citadel one for ME3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's worth it to keep your save all the way through if you're going to play ME like this. I suggest ME3 on PC. There are choices you made in ME1 that will come back. Not huge story arcs but still,little interesting side story dialogues that you wouldn't get starting fresh on PS3.
Yeah, I already bumped into Fist who I let go in ME1 and a fair few dialogue options reference previous decisions so I will get ME3 on Origin, it's only £8 so is a no brainer to keep my character going.

I'm not far into ME2, having just picked up the awesome Mordin, but I really like the changes they've made. Combat feels so much more engaging now and the UI is so much better. I'm enjoying it much more than the original game but I can see why some didn't like the new direction.

For example, I killed all the Cerberus projects (and people) in ME1 and now I'm working for them. Shepherd barely mentioned his Cerberus interactions from the previous game, particularly them having an Alliance Rear Admiral killed. But I get it, Cerberus is a big, shady and very compartmentalised so maybe their research in ME1 was a rogue element. The Lazarus team appear well intended and I spent time talking all the crew, paying attention to their thoughts on Cerberus, and everybody also seems well intended. So if it's nothing more Shepherd using something bad to do good, I can live with that. Plus they have me a massive new shiny ship :yes:

It's also nice getting a different perspective on the Council races from other species. Engaging with the Council races in ME1 you were left feeling the primary races could handle anything but afterwards you see it was all a bit of a charade - kind of like real life. I am very much looking forward to returning to the Citadel but I'm really in no rush. Just enjoying nosing around.

Yeah, I already bumped into Fist who I let go in ME1 and a fair few dialogue options reference previous decisions so I will get ME3 on Origin, it's only £8 so is a no brainer to keep my character going.

I'm not far into ME2, having just picked up the awesome Mordin, but I really like the changes they've made. Combat feels so much more engaging now and the UI is so much better. I'm enjoying it much more than the original game but I can see why some didn't like the new direction.

For example, I killed all the Cerberus projects (and people) in ME1 and now I'm working for them. Shepherd barely mentioned his Cerberus interactions from the previous game, particularly them having an Alliance Rear Admiral killed. But I get it, Cerberus is a big, shady and very compartmentalised so maybe their research in ME1 was a rogue element. The Lazarus team appear well intended and I spent time talking all the crew, paying attention to their thoughts on Cerberus, and everybody also seems well intended. So if it's nothing more Shepherd using something bad to do good, I can live with that. Plus they have me a massive new shiny ship :yes:

It's also nice getting a different perspective on the Council races from other species. Engaging with the Council races in ME1 you were left feeling the primary races could handle anything but afterwards you see it was all a bit of a charade - kind of like real life. I am very much looking forward to returning to the Citadel but I'm really in no rush. Just enjoying nosing around.

My 2 main beefs with ME 2.

Turning it into a shooter when it used to be an RPG. I love RPGs. In the ME1, for example, you had to role play whatever character you designed or attained. If they were bad at combat you had to play that out. No way around it. In ME2, if you are good at shooters, you can basically breeze through the entire game ignoring the veneer of RPG like choices in character progression. Fantastic if you are a fan of shooters, absolutely mind-blowingly crappy if you are a fan of RPGs.

Conversations with NPCs are meaningless. You can crap all over your teammates making them hate you. But as long as you do 1 NPC specific mission for them, they'll love you as if you were the living embodiment of Jesus/Buddha/Mohammad/etc. come to bless them and only them. In other words, no matter what dialog choices you make, or how you treat your teammates, just do 1 mission and it gets you onto the developer approved story arc. Basically yet another way to crap on the concept of a meaningful RPG.

Regards,
SB

ME2 was a complete failure after ME1 was so great. I never bothered with the 3rd.

Propably a very minority opinion. ME2 improved almost everything about the game. Combat is better, quest are more interesting. Great characters.
Except the story which makes no sense whatsoever, a lone survivor Shepard who got her squad killed by Cerberus would never ally with it, period.
And that's without all the story issues, too many things don't make sense in ME2 compared to ME, it looks like a rushed TV quality serie :p

Last edited:
Turning it into a shooter when it used to be an RPG. I love RPGs. In the ME1, for example, you had to role play whatever character you designed or attained. If they were bad at combat you had to play that out. No way around it. In ME2, if you are good at shooters, you can basically breeze through the entire game ignoring the veneer of RPG like choices in character progression. Fantastic if you are a fan of shooters, absolutely mind-blowingly crappy if you are a fan of RPGs.

Mass Effect 1 was also a cover-based third person shooter, just not a very good one. Remember ME1 launched a year after Gears and a few weeks after the original Uncharted. You may have forgotten how much shooting the main campaign missions have, not to mention most of the side missions which are almost entirely shooting with minimal (or no) dialogue. Moonbase AI? Shooting. Cerberus missions? Shooting. Miscellaneous geth incursions? Shooting. Character-based side missions? Shooting. Crimelord mission? Shooting. A few missions did let you diffuse a final encounter but only after a lot of shooting. Talking down Major Kyle, the former alliance officer who became a cult leader, is one of few examples where you can complete the whole mission without killing anybody.

I played the first half of ME1 as a pistol shooter with combat orientated companions because tech and bionics were so poorly explained. It was only when I enough people to experiment with tech and bionics that I saw that these were crazy powerful. Kinda too powerful because a fully levelled Liara is borderline unstoppable. I felt I was just steamrolling the game when teamed up with Liara and Kaiden.

Being able to actually shoot out of the gate isn't bad. Go roll a new character in ME1 and pick Infiltrator class and try to use that sniper rifle. You can't because the reticule weaves around like drunken prom date. You have to sink a ton of level ups into that skill and it's dumb. I'm an elite Alliance Commander who is skilled at ranged combat and yet I can't hold my rifle steady? :nope:

Conversations with NPCs are meaningless. You can crap all over your teammates making them hate you. But as long as you do 1 NPC specific mission for them, they'll love you as if you were the living embodiment of Jesus/Buddha/Mohammad/etc. come to bless them and only them. In other words, no matter what dialog choices you make, or how you treat your teammates, just do 1 mission and it gets you onto the developer approved story arc. Basically yet another way to crap on the concept of a meaningful RPG.

Wasn't this also the case in ME1? Was it possible for companions to leave of their own volition or refuse to work for you?

Except the story which makes no sense whatsoever, a lone survivor Shepar who got her squad killed by Cerberus would never ally with it, period. And that's without all the story issues, too many things don't make sense in ME2 compared to ME, it looks like a rushed TV quality serie :p

I've only played ME1 once, is that a possible outcome of ME1? How do you get it?

I'm not that far into ME2 having just completed the mission where you first encounter the collectors, so I don't know how things are going to pan out in ME2 let alone ME3. But on the point about Shepherd working with Cerberus. What other choice is there? The Alliance fleet is rebuilding and the Council are sticking their head in the sand over the existence of Reapers. Shephard can either do nothing or use Cerberus - and this is how I'm reading it.

I said in an earlier post that when I first boarded the Normandy SR2 I spent about an hour checking out the ship and talking to the crew, particularly exploring the dialogue options for "What do you think or Cerberus" and "Why did you join Cerberus". The vast majority of the crew are aware of Cerberus's reputation (which make then suck as a covert organisation, lol) but they are disillusioned with the Council and/or the Alliance. Thus far in ME2, every time you encounter judgemental dialogue reading working for Cerberus, which I just had from Kaidan (btw grow up, Kaiden, you are not a fucking emo!), you can respond with "I don't work for Cerberus" or "we need their resources" or words akin to those. To make your position and thoughts on the situation clear.

And that's my position as of where I am in ME2. I don't trust Cerberus after the experiments, killings and assassination of a Rear Admiral in ME1. But I do believe the people on the Lazarus Team share my goal of stopping the immediate threat; the Collectors. I will use Cerberus' resources for my own ends. I know Cerberus don't trust me. They don't trust their AI (probable wise, lol) which clearly has information or directives it can't yet access which makes it potentially very dangerous. There are still bits of the ship I can't access. It wouldn't surprise me to find out the Illusive Man is sending me messages from one of those locked rooms on my own ship!

The story is making sense to me at this point. Shephard is somebody who will do what it takes to save the universe and right now that means allying himself with Cerberus. Inimicus inimici mei amicus mess est.

What I am really liking about ME2 is the different perspective on the same universe. In ME1 you're kind of indoctrinated into believing the Council are great and it's really important for the Alliance to join the Council. The Council are insistent that everybody outside Citadel systems, like the Terminus Systems, are pirates, terrorists or psychos. As you play the game you realise that the Council races have all the same human psychological flaws as humans - there is actually some dialogue to this effect. The Council are deeply flawed and just want to maintain equilibrium so that the races with power - the Asari, Turians and Salarians - stay in control.

The original three Council races have reservations about humans that goes beyond relations just being relatively short (20-30 years) or the Alliance Turian war. The three Council races fear the drive of humanity. Humanity brings a bit of chaos but also change. There is also that running theme on "lesser races" not being allowed to join the council, particularly the Volus and Elcor. There are clear divides - the Presidium and the Wards. Then there are the Krogan.

In ME2 you spend time in the Terminus Systems and what do you find? It's really no different to Citadel/Council controlled-space; it's certainly just as lawless with just as many people out to line their pockets. What is missing is bunch of self-serving preachy arseholes in charge. Arguably it's a more honest place to live.

Maybe the story will really go off the rails but right now I'm really digging it. It's just like life - things are rarely as they appear on the surface and many things depend upon your point of view. :yes:

It's the lone survivor background you may take at ME creation, you're the last survivor of your squad at the start of the game, during the game you discover that Cerberus is responsible for the death of your whole squad, after that it seems just stupid to force the player to ally with Cerberus.

There are a lot of problems with ME2, killing the hero at the start is cool, but resurecting it moments later...
Anyway how can they make a better ship that then best Turian-Earth ship ever made in ME ? Where do the tech comes from ? where do the funds come from ? noone noticed it being built either ?
Why can't you go back to Alliance and get everyone on ship arrested, give the ship to the Alliance and be reinstated as a SPECTRE ?
Everything about ME2 main story is stupid, which is really sad, the game is still really good thanks to the gameplay and cast.
(But it lacks the sense of discovery, strangeness and wideness of space. ME felt more like Star Trek to me, ME2 more like Star Wars maybe ^^)

Still on Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut ^^

It's the lone survivor background you may take at ME creation, you're the last survivor of your squad at the start of the game, during the game you discover that Cerberus is responsible for the death of your whole squad, after that it seems just stupid to force the player to ally with Cerberus.

Ah, yeah.. got it. But you're back at the same imperative yes? It's working with Cerberus or universal armageddon. As far as I'm concerned, I haven't joined Cerberus (as I keep telling people in dialogue options). I wish I could get a 'I don't work for Cerberus, they're dicks!' tee-shirt made. I'd wear it to all buy Illusive Man communiques :yep2:

There are a lot of problems with ME2, killing the hero at the start is cool, but resurecting it moments later...

That made no sense. If the intention is to make you feel gratitude towards Cerberus it didn't work for me. I'm not getting the Cerberus storyline at this point of my game in ME2. I could just as well have not died, not been resurrected and the ship destroyed and I'm working for the alliance again. I'm assume the Cerberus plot will go somewhere.

Anyway how can they make a better ship that then best Turian-Earth ship ever made in ME ? Where do the tech comes from ? where do the funds come from ? noone noticed it being built either ?

I assume from your question that this is never answered and that would be disappointing. Certainly the dialogue options lead nowhere at my stage of the game but I assumed the designs were the result of espionage against the Alliance and Cerberus clearly have no difficulty in recruiting ex-Alliance personnel and aren't short of a bob of too - presumably from their less ethical antics.

Why can't you go back to Alliance and get everyone on ship arrested, give the ship to the Alliance and be reinstated as a SPECTRE ?

I got re-instated as a Spectre in ME2, the only thing Cerberus seem to be supplying thus far are the ship and some intelligence. I don't know if you encountered it in your ME1 playthrough(s) but I had an interaction with an Alliance admiral who thought the resources and costs poured into building the Normandy were a waste compared to what the Alliance could have built using conventional ship technology. Given the Alliance are rebuilding their fleet following the battle with Sovereign, I can understand their lack prioritising building a Normandy-class vessel when they need probably need a lot of conventional ships to deal with conventional problems.

Everything about ME2 main story is stupid, which is really sad, the game is still really good thanks to the gameplay and cast. (But it lacks the sense of discovery, strangeness and wideness of space. ME felt more like Star Trek to me, ME2 more like Star Wars maybe ^^)

I can't judge the story until I've finished the game but I'm okay with it thus far. Maybe Shephard could exhibit more conflict about working with Cerberus, who were ludicrously evil in the first game, but I'm not a huge fan of the way male Shephard's lines are delivered - which is not a slight on the actor, no doubt he was directed to do it that way.

I like your Star Trek / Star Wars analogy though. I am glad the Mako is gone because by the end of ME1 that thing did outlive its novelty and I like that once you complete a mission in ME2 it cuts you straight back to a central point rather than you having a walk a bunch of minutes. I do miss the open Citadel from ME1 though, and the way you arrive somewhere in the SR1, then dock, then walk onto the dock and get a lift down to C-Sec. The world just felt more physically connected. Equally I like that you can personalise things more in ME2. I have fish in my cabin and I like that you can change outfit aesthetics because some of the ME1 armours made me look like a clown. :runaway:

There must be a happy medium and I hope Andromeda is it. I see the Mako is back and is customisable. Ideally I'd like a more open universe like ME1 but with options of ME1's Mako and ME2's landing craft and let the player decide what to use.

Anyway, I have to rescue Tali, who seems to have developed an odd accent. :yep2:

Ok so I just rescued Tali and we're back on the ship. Jacob is complimenting Tali and her abilities and she rebukes him, telling him about Cerberus's threat to the migrant fleet which came up in ME1. For me, Paragon Shepherd has two dialogue options: 1. "I agree completely" (Cerberus suck) and 2. "We need to cooperate" (Cerberus are a necessary evil). I pick the first and get this dialogue: "That's why you're here Tali. I need people I can trust.". It's so obvious that allying with Cerberus is the cold-day-in-hell plan Z option for Shephard.

Sorry I've kind of derailed this into a Mass Effect discussion. Maybe collapse these into this Mass Effect 2 thread, Rodéric? Or the original shitstorm thread? :runaway:

Mass Effect 1 was also a cover-based third person shooter, just not a very good one. Remember ME1 launched a year after Gears and a few weeks after the original Uncharted. You may have forgotten how much shooting the main campaign missions have, not to mention most of the side missions which are almost entirely shooting with minimal (or no) dialogue. Moonbase AI? Shooting. Cerberus missions? Shooting. Miscellaneous geth incursions? Shooting. Character-based side missions? Shooting. Crimelord mission? Shooting. A few missions did let you diffuse a final encounter but only after a lot of shooting. Talking down Major Kyle, the former alliance officer who became a cult leader, is one of few examples where you can complete the whole mission without killing anybody.

ME1 was basically a point and click RPG. Only it was in third person view instead of the traditional overhead view of a point and click RPG. "Aiming" with a weapon was how you clicked on something. After that dice are rolled and compared against your stats and the enemy stats to determine hit and effects of hits like an RPG. Cover mechanics just added more numbers to the calculations as in any other RPG or strategy game that featured the ability to find cover. In that sense the cover mechanics were closer to X-com from the 90's than they were from Gears of War. Remember, this game started development before Gears of War was announced.

ME2 ditched virtually everything RPG related. Instead of Character skill determining your Character's efficacy in battle, you as the player of the game determined your Character's efficacy in battle. If they had a librarian or bookworm class, it would have been equally as deadly in combat as the most battled hardened soldier. Hence, every single class played basically the same, with minor differences in powers, if you were good at shooter style games. That's fine as a game. But it was a dire slap in the face to anyone who appreciated just how good of a point and click RPG the first ME was.

Wasn't this also the case in ME1? Was it possible for companions to leave of their own volition or refuse to work for you?

Your relationship with an NPC in ME followed a scale from Good to Bad as well as depending on whether that character was predisposed toward the good or bad side of things. You had to work a little to get to the very best level of a relationship and it was possible to irreversibly ruin your relationship with a character. And there was never a point where you do one quest and it completely erases anything you did in the past with regards to that NPC and reset it to the best possible outcome for that NPC.

IE - other than for flavor, conversations are meaningless in ME2. That's a far cry from ME1 or even earlier games like the Star Wars: KOTOR series. Bioware up until that point had a large reputation for having meaningful character interactions. ME2 basically shit on all of that.

New fans of the company probably didn't care. They just went, oooh, another shooter I can play. And with the first ME, new fans were all, ugh this is a bad shooter. Why can't I hit what I'm aiming at? Well, duh, because ME1 wasn't a shooter. It was an RPG with a 3rd person over the shoulder POV, not a shooter.

Long time fans of Bioware and the RPGs that they were masterful at creating are rightfully royally pissed off at the direction Bioware has taken ever since EA bought the company (likely why ME2 changed so significantly compared to ME1). What was once a bastion of some of the best RPGs ever made now just makes shooters...like every other company on the planet. Yes, in abandoning their fans and the niche they had carved out, they gained more widespread appeal. Shooters are more popular than RPGs. Hence, it's no wonder that all of the founders abandoned the company shortly after the sale. They were RPG nerds are heart (hence why Bioware was so very good at making excellent RPGs), and the direction EA wanted to take the company likely left a very very bad taste in their mouth.

Regards,
SB

Except the story which makes no sense whatsoever, a lone survivor Shepar who got her squad killed by Cerberus would never ally with it, period.
And that's without all the story issues, too many things don't make sense in ME2 compared to ME, it looks like a rushed TV quality serie :p
Yeah there is no denying your criticism. Still enjoyed the heck out of ME2 side quests though.

It seems Silent_Buddha was expecting a different game altogether and can't enjoy ME2 for what it is. It is a great game, if you can get over it not being an RPG. I enjoyed Baldur's Gate very much but Mass Effect is the logical endpoint from BG through Kotor. That's what Bioware makes now and they are damn good at it. Other studios still make traditional RPG's.

ME1 was basically a point and click RPG. Only it was in third person view instead of the traditional overhead view of a point and click RPG. "Aiming" with a weapon was how you clicked on something. After that dice are rolled and compared against your stats and the enemy stats to determine hit and effects of hits like an RPG.

I think there are different dice in ME2. In ME1 you still have to accurately hit your target using the reticule but I applaud Bioware for throwing some of the dice away. Those were RPG-breaking dice. How so? How can you role play as a sniper (Infiltrator) and not be able to use a sniper rifle? Surely somebody in fleet command would have noticed Shephard couldn't use that weapon? Dumb. The dice dealing with bonus damage, effects and other modifiers are still there only now you don't feel like a grunt in basic. You're the badass you're supposed to be and only get better.

ME2 ditched virtually everything RPG related. Instead of Character skill determining your Character's efficacy in battle, you as the player of the game determined your Character's efficacy in battle. If they had a librarian or bookworm class, it would have been equally as deadly in combat as the most battled hardened soldier.

I don't follow this. In ME1 characters started with deficiencies in basic skills and become competent. This is surely contrary to the role you're supposed to be playing. It makes no sense. Regardless of class Shepherd is going to be proficient with firearms. Shephard holds Commander rank from front line active duty.

Your relationship with an NPC in ME followed a scale from Good to Bad as well as depending on whether that character was predisposed toward the good or bad side of things. You had to work a little to get to the very best level of a relationship and it was possible to irreversibly ruin your relationship with a character. And there was never a point where you do one quest and it completely erases anything you did in the past with regards to that NPC and reset it to the best possible outcome for that NPC.

I wasn't remotely conscious of this. I felt I had to work on Wrex and Garus, who both had chips on their respective shoulders and needed a talking too, but I wasn't aware this impacted their abilities in game. No amount of talking to Ashley could reform her from her racist views and when I was extra nice to her she thought I wanted to date her. :runaway:

New fans of the company probably didn't care. They just went, oooh, another shooter I can play. And with the first ME, new fans were all, ugh this is a bad shooter. Why can't I hit what I'm aiming at? Well, duh, because ME1 wasn't a shooter. It was an RPG with a 3rd person over the shoulder POV, not a shooter.

I disagree. Cover mechanics for defence and and precise hit detection on shots suggest it was always intended to have fundamental shooter mechanics. Otherwise just fake like like World of Warcraft/World of Warcraft. It's an RPG shooter with non-conventional weapon attacks - which also had to be on point. If you need to aim to hit something, that's as basic as a shooting mechanic gets. I am relieved that the days of RPGs with shooting mechanics are no longer penalising the player because the character doesn't have enough 'points' in a skill. If you're playing a civilian with no skillset, sure those are justified role play mechanics. You need to invest time and effort to develop skills you don't have. But an elite commando? :nope: RPG mechanics have to make sense. :yep2:

It seems Silent_Buddha was expecting a different game altogether and can't enjoy ME2 for what it is. It is a great game, if you can get over it not being an RPG. I enjoyed Baldur's Gate very much but Mass Effect is the logical endpoint from BG through Kotor. That's what Bioware makes now and they are damn good at it. Other studios still make traditional RPG's.

I'm not always thrilled with the direction sequels in some franchises take but have enjoyed them for what they are. I understand SB's dislike of ME2 because of what he liked about ME1 but we'll have to agree to disagree about it being a shooter. As I said in an earlier post the changes Bioware made really work for me because I generally pursue RPG-type games for the flexibility they offer in terms of playstyle, plus it adds replay-ability for me. I'm less fussed if the game lacks provision for an asari buying a red hat instead of a blue hat because of a conversation I had with them. As long as I can kill racist crew members through command decision making, I'm good :yes: There are non on the SR2. Word must have gotten around. Adaptive RPG at it's best!

Ok, so I've recruited the Assassin. Cool dude, I need to get him some shades! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back