London-boy's first thread in ayyyges!

Under a rock, i tell ya!

Ok so do explain... why on earth would they keep the discs region free, but lock downloadable content, which can be downloaded from anywhere in the world??

If anything, i'd have done the opposite? Or not at all??
Sony assumes you dont know or morally accept creating a account for other countries.

Stupid laws I guess, if you make content openly available you must conform to the laws in the country. Some games may be banned in germany for example, and you cant just post links for them on a website. Im happy its possible to create accounts in other countries and it seems to be just gratefully ignored by Sony, better dont talk to much about it. Comparing the lists of available Euro, US and Jap PSOne games brings tear to my eyes.

I guess movies have more players interested (cinemas) to make it as hard as possible to import them.

Wish I knew.

One of those Sony Mysteries i guess.

OK, NEXT question (sorry guys, do bear with me):

Is it just me or the PS3 drops the wireless/internet connection every so often?
Sometimes everything works fine until i get a "DNS error" message, internet connection drops and it takes a while to get it back up?
And sometimes it disconnects from the router completely (saying it has disconnected from the access point)?
Doesn't happen often, but it is a bit annoying when it does happen.

One of those Sony Mysteries i guess.

OK, NEXT question (sorry guys, do bear with me):

Is it just me or the PS3 drops the wireless/internet connection every so often?
Sometimes everything works fine until i get a "DNS error" message, internet connection drops and it takes a while to get it back up?
And sometimes it disconnects from the router completely (saying it has disconnected from the access point)?
Doesn't happen often, but it is a bit annoying when it does happen.
I used to have my fat PS3 wireless, and it was working just fine. I haven't heard that PS3's wireless was especially bad, but I did notice mine was quite sensitive to placement. The signal % would change from 80% to 50% if I moved it even an inch in wrong direction. My wireless access point was about 10 m away, not in line-of-sight but two walls between.

With my Wii, I can't make a connection unless I move the Logitech DiNovo wireless bluetooth keyboard away from beside it where I usually keep it in it's dock.
Wireless in my experience is quite sensitive to interference, so it might be a good idea to try different positions with your PS3 while monitoring the wireless signal level.

I used to have my fat PS3 wireless, and it was working just fine. I haven't heard that PS3's wireless was especially bad, but I did notice mine was quite sensitive to placement. The signal % would change from 80% to 50% if I moved it even an inch in wrong direction. My wireless access point was about 10 m away, not in line-of-sight but two walls between.

With my Wii, I can't make a connection unless I move the Logitech DiNovo wireless bluetooth keyboard away from beside it where I usually keep it in it's dock.
Wireless in my experience is quite sensitive to interference, so it might be a good idea to try different positions with your PS3 while monitoring the wireless signal level.

Hey Rabid!! :D
Ok so help me out here: (and i'm not talking just about PS3 but any wireless network) is it possible that if i have my laptop in between the router and the PS3 (ie in the line of sight i have my router, then the laptop then in the same line i have the PS3 or any other device connected to the router), then the PS3 risks drop outs due to interference with the laptop placed pretty much directly in between? :D

Would moving the router in between the laptop and the PS3, or have them in a triangular position help?

I doubt it. Can be easily verified by adjusting the PS3 until you get the optimal signal quality, and then turn on the laptop.

I use wireless connection in my office PS3 these days.

FWIW my PS3 has a more stable connection with the downstairs router than my PC has, but PSN itself seems dodgy and can drop you out of your online connection on a whim if you're unlucky. You could try changing the Wifi channel your router is broadcasting on. You have 13 channels to choose from, selectable from your router settings. I recently moved it from channel 11 to 2 and it seems a tad more robust, especially with loads of Wifi routers in neighbouring houses. Signal strength varies around 70-80%

If you're interested in importing blu ray films, this is the reference list for whether it's region locked or not.

There's also a really good "I've got a ps3 now what?" thread at GAF with lots of useful tips/info.

If you're interested in importing blu ray films, this is the reference list for whether it's region locked or not.

Just a caveat for people looking at that site, particularly from the US: even with region-free discs, they might have content that is PAL, which the US PS3 seems to refuse to play, due to some bug. Shouldn't apply to london-boy, since he's a PALly.

Back