Last of Us [PS4]

Recently saw a new trailer for TLoU. (Some spoilers)

http://youtu.be/p4pYIsaZqE0?t=8s

The horror/zombie aspect isn't appealing, but I haven't been this interested in a game's mechanics and ambition since Demon Souls. ND has been growing on me since Uncharted 3. I'm really impressed with their attention to detail and contextual animations. If they maintain a solid 30fps it would be my personal swan song for this generation.

I'm really looking forward to this. I think this is an incredibly important game for Naughty Dog because it's just about the first time they really seem to be doing something original instead of just copying and polishing somebody else's work. (this isn't supposed to be an insult by the way. Don't really know how to put it differently)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm really looking forward to this. I think this is an incredibly important game for Naughty Dog because it's just about the first time they really seem to be doing something original instead of just copying and polishing somebody else's work. (this isn't supposed to be an insult by the way. Don't really know how to put it differently)

If you consider TLoU as original then why not any of the Jak or Uncharted games?

I wouldn't particularly call TLoU original, but I would call it awesome. ND have their own original elements to all their games. Its too hard to say which have been more original than others.

On the other hand I've never played a ND game and felt I have played this kind of thing too many times before. I cannot say that about alot of other games and devs.

On one hand originality is overrated imho, but on the other particularly in the case of the plethora of modern fps games I've played this gen, unoriginality can very much be a legitimate complaint.

Maybe not more original, but certainly not quite so blatantly following popular trends like usual. Game looks like a proper survival horror game (you know, with actual survival oriented mechanics in it unlike in the latest Tomb Raider). That's not exactly a safe genre anymore, especially when you consider just how much effort ND's been putting into the game.

Now compare it to the largely reactionary work ND's been doing in the past.
Mortal Kombat's quite popular, so let's make Way of the Warrior.
Mascot platformers are still all the rage, so here comes Crash Bandicoot. Also, Crash Bandicoot in a kart, because that's been proven highly successful as well.
Then we go to the PS2, where it's finally possible to out Mario Matio 64 in a true 3d environment, so here's Jak & Daxter. When R* suddently hits the Jackpot with GTAIII while a new breed of awfully angsty metal bands storms the music charts, ND reacts by giving Jak an equally annoying personality, lots of guns and letting him loose in a big open environment where he can steal hover cars.
A couple of years later Gears of War redefines third person shooters with an intuitive cover system, so obviously ND makes a cover-based shooter as well.

The Last of Us doesn't really fit that mold. It looks like its very own thing instead.

I think it is hard to say how original The last of Us will be before we actually get to play it....

Maybe not more original, but certainly not quite so blatantly following popular trends like usual. Game looks like a proper survival horror game (you know, with actual survival oriented mechanics in it unlike in the latest Tomb Raider). That's not exactly a safe genre anymore, especially when you consider just how much effort ND's been putting into the game.

Now compare it to the largely reactionary work ND's been doing in the past.
Mortal Kombat's quite popular, so let's make Way of the Warrior.
Mascot platformers are still all the rage, so here comes Crash Bandicoot. Also, Crash Bandicoot in a kart, because that's been proven highly successful as well.
Then we go to the PS2, where it's finally possible to out Mario Matio 64 in a true 3d environment, so here's Jak & Daxter. When R* suddently hits the Jackpot with GTAIII while a new breed of awfully angsty metal bands storms the music charts, ND reacts by giving Jak an equally annoying personality, lots of guns and letting him loose in a big open environment where he can steal hover cars.
A couple of years later Gears of War redefines third person shooters with an intuitive cover system, so obviously ND makes a cover-based shooter as well.

The Last of Us doesn't really fit that mold. It looks like its very own thing instead.

Very good point. Despite the slow initial sales of the Uncharted franchise, ND has always made great selling games, and always worked with that goal really. All their games have been very market focused, and LoU seems to be different in that respect. They seem to not worry to much if the game is gonna be a block-buster or just a moderate success, my impression is they are aiming mostly for quality and critical prase more than anything else with this one. Sony gives their devs a lot of freedom for that kind of stuff.

Jak & Daxter should not have been 3D, just because Mario 64 came before it? Jak was a very different game to Mario 64.

Doesn't that just apply to every 3D platformer of the same generation? Is Okami a copy of Zelda? Is Klonoa a copy of Super Mario?

Also Uncharted was announced before we knew what Gears of War was... it was announced as project BIG at the conference...

You guys are riding some silly-silly bandwagon or something... games being similar does not mean they are copying each other. Borrowing mechanics is not a sin, it helps make good games by exploring paths already taken further.

Being "original" is not necessarily all it's cracked up to be... and criticizing other games for lacking it when most of the best games are derivatives of many things that came before it... is a little lacking... imo.

I hope it is more like the original Walking dead comic than the TV-series.....
The second part of the third season sucked because the writers kept regurgitating the same plot devices and flatulent choice-making-processes over and over again instead of just resolving the main conflict in a WAY more direct (and consistent) manner.

Most episodes before that were actually pretty good, though. Especially the earlier ones with Darabont still in charge of the show.

I find it quite weird that there isnt much talk about the LoU demo included in the new God of War (EU version at least)

I find it quite weird that there isnt much talk about the LoU demo included in the new God of War (EU version at least)

Because its not available yet. :p

EDIT

The demo that is. You just get access to the demo when its released (May 7th) by buying GoW:A.

Both this game and GTA V were originally to release in March this year, makes me sad to think of what could've been :(

They must have drained the life force of PS3 to the very last drop with this game. I can't begin to imagine the pleasure PS4 is sending to them right now :).

Back