Larrabee at GDC 09

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by bowman, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

That sounds way more reasonable ;) Keep in mind that IHVs have to also respect the threshold specific existing and future protocols will set; an external power supply for instance would be a ridiculous idea.

It sounds hard to find something that would be as lossless as today's algorithms, be very efficient in terms of memory and bandwidth consumption and all of that being done mostly via sw.

By the way you forgot one further major headache for IMRs with MRTs + MSAA: translucency.

#101 Ailuros, Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2009
  2. bowman

Newcomer

Well, I was thinking more of a DIY overclocking take on things. Current graphics cards don't have much headroom, not without a bit of soldering anyway.

3. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

Oh, sort of like the free reign we have with over-volting/overclocking CPUs? Yeah that would be nice to have in GPU-land too.

4. Nick

Veteran

I don't see how you come to that conclusion. Just because a square millimeter of a programmable chip is slower at rasterization than a square millimeter of dedicated hardware doesn't mean the entire chip is slower than the few square millimeter that a classic GPU spends on rasterization logic.

5. crystall

Newcomer

Good point... After thinking a bit more about the problem I'm also not really sure on how Intel intends to deal with the tiles in L2. Their paper showed 3 back-end threads for each core but I doubt that 3 threads are sharing the same color/depth/MRT tiles, it would be impossible without some kind of synchronization.

6. MfA

MfA
    Legend

You can tile the tile.

PS. probably being a bit too pithy there ... what I mean is you can do sort middle parallelization inside the tile, each thread would get it's own subset of quads inside the tile, so synchronization between the threads would not be an issue.

#106 MfA, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
  7. nAo

nAo Nutella Nutellae
    Veteran

Not a good idea imho, you could easily end up having only one or two threads doing any real work.

8. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Easily maybe, but as long as it's not often it doesn't matter. You can get utilization almost arbitrarily high by increasing queue size.

9. Jawed

Legend

Jawed

10. crystall

Newcomer

I had forgotten the bit about scoreboarding, thanks for the pointer.

11. Ailuros

Ailuros Epsilon plus three
    Legend Subscriber

If I don't interpret Abrash's comments in the wrong way, it sounds to me like LRB's amount of cores as well as their frequencies being kept within specific boundries to not end up with insane power consumption values. Overclocking such a variant doesn't sound like a problem to me. As for the persentage of overclockability I guess we shouldn't forget that LRB is still a GPU and not a CPU. Meaning it'll most likely come down to how tolerant to much higher frequencies the texture co-processor (as a ff hw example) might be in the end. Of course could someone say that they might allow the driver to increase only the ALU clock domain, but on a typical GPU you hardly get nearly linear performance scaling unless you increase the frequency of most if not all parts of it.

What I had in mind all this time would had been a way higher amount of cores at way higher than currently projected frequencies, in order to reach/exceed competing future GPU's gaming performance.

12. spacemonkey

Newcomer

fp

What sort of sp and dp floating point performance can we expect from Larrabee? Will it be IEEE 754 compliant?

13. DeanoC

DeanoC Trust me, I'm a renderer person!
    Veteran Subscriber

In theory it can do 16 single IEEE float ops per cycle per core + the FPU. As the float op can be an FMAC, thats 32 per core per cycle (we will ignore the FPU as noise).

For a 32 core larrabee, its 1024 per cycle, AKA 1 Terraflop per Ghz

DP is a bit slower

14. 3dilettante

Legend Alpha

The numbers last shown would indiate DP is roughly 1/2 as fast. A bit more than a bit slower, but stilll a sight better than the 1/5 to 1/12 as fast GPU DP is stuck at.

15. Megadrive1988

Veteran

A 48 core Larrabee @ 2 GHz should be pretty darn impressve in SP.

16. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

It should but is Intel really gonna get that kinda density out of the gate? Given Abrash's (perhaps meaningless) comment of above 1 teraflop I'm guessing it's going to be closer to 16 cores than it is to 48.

17. CouldntResist

Regular

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=683

This was supposed to be the new feature of DX10 (even the most important, according to Tim Sweeney, for example). More than two years have passed, and paged texture memory is still a promise of future?

18. MfA

MfA
    Legend

Maybe it's political? The GPU manufacturers would rather sell cards with ever more memory ...

WDDM v2 seems to have quietly disappeared.

19. ShootMyMonkey

Veteran

Either that, or it's closer to 1 GHz than 2 GHz... or a little mix of less-than-expected in both. I would have figured that even for Intel, figures like 32 cores at 2 GHz seems a bit out of reach. They're not miracle-workers, and they still need to try and produce something competitive at a competitive price point. Commenting that you'll apparently see 1 TFLOP only says that they don't want to jump the gun by saying they'll get 32 cores @ 2 GHz for sure.

Besides which, I'd have to raise an eyebrow on how they plan to keep something like that fed all the time. Maybe it's just my indefatigable pessimism at work here. Both Abrash's and Forsyth's talk tended to focus on ekeing out performance at the level of individual code blocks and/or individual cores without going very deeply into things like thread scheduling. That wasn't really the topic anyway, so it wasn't really a problem for those talks. I just wish that at some point or other, we had some more hard "big picture" info. Though I think Intel doesn't really have it either.

20. Simon F

Simon F Tea maker
    Moderator Veteran

In the Island of Sodor, where the steam trains lie
    I don't think there was any performance penalty, but order independent translucency was removed from PC PowerVR devices because virtually no developer was using it. <shrug>