PhyreEngine - New Hotness Sponsored by Sony? (moved)

is the uncharted 2 beta the first PS3 game ever that have SSAO in a PS3 game?
Some PS3 games have come out that already use SSAO, such as Transformers 2, and The Punisher: No Mercy, and apparently GRID also (although I find the effect hard to spot in the screenshots despite the developer's presentation slides mentioning the inclusion of spu-driven SSAO). GRID, if you didn't know, runs on the Ego Engine, which is Codemasters' modified version of the PhyreEngine.

Far Cry 2 uses some form of ambient occlusion and indirect lighting for its environments and objects, but I don't know whether it's done through post-processing or through some other method.

Phyre Engine appears to be somewhat a bit of a BEAST :D

I hope more devs can make use of this tech :)

We evaluated it a while back..

Decided against it because of the scenegraph-based rendering model..

Works great for games with mostly static worlds (e.g. driving games) but just isn't very flexible or performant with more dynamic setups like the ones we're gunning for since you end up having to do ridiculous amounts of tree traversals every frame..

Ended up rolling our own PS3 setup in the end and it's coming along really well..

We evaluated it a while back..

Decided against it because of the scenegraph-based rendering model..

Works great for games with mostly static worlds (e.g. driving games) but just isn't very flexible or performant with more dynamic setups like the ones we're gunning for since you end up having to do ridiculous amounts of tree traversals every frame..

Ended up rolling our own PS3 setup in the end and it's coming along really well..

Looking forward to what you guys produce for sure ;)

Interesting though, as I'd be rather intrigued to see and compare the best implimentations of the Phyre Engine.

Since you guys checked it out, is the engine as fully featured as the more turn-key solutions like UE3? Or is it really just a fairly well developed tool-box for devs to use to build their own engine tech? Curious I am :D

Are the Codemasters games (GRID, DiRT, Overlord, etc.) the only full retail-released games to come out utilizing the PhyreEngine? Everything else that's been mentioned seems to only be PSN downloadable titles and smaller-scale productions.

The Codemasters are a different engine, aren't they? Neon engine or something? And doesn't that use Edge tools rather than PhyreEngine? And didn't they build a new engine later again? It's all a bit hazy in my head, maybe someone knows more precisely.

I'm not sure how much it's releated now, but the PC install or Grid was full of PSSG files.

Maybe they use the updated PhyreEngine, but they adapated the original PSSG to suit their needs so maybe they don't. I gues it all depends how much they actually changed.

For some reason I only saw the more recent PhyreEngine slides now.

I think they spoke about this at Develop among other things, relating to doing graphics 'stuff' on the SPUs. It's a pity no one has posted audio from that session online...no one knows of anywhere that has it?

It's quite cool to see strides being made on many of the things we speculated about all those years ago. At Develop they introduced this stuff by saying 'RSX was nice when PS3 launched, but is starting to look old - use Cell too!' ... which I found amusing :D

I was at that presentation...basically now they do deferred shading in PhyreEngine using a slim G-Buffer (depth + 2 RT's, IIRC) rendered on RSX with the lighting/shading performed on the SPU's. They also do tone mapping + color correction + MLAA edge detection on the SPU, and do the final MLAA color blending step on the RSX. They also showed off some neat particle system stuff, where the character would "explode" to particles.

They also do tone mapping + color correction + MLAA edge detection on the SPU, and do the final MLAA color blending step on the RSX.

That makes sense I guess. ^_^
How well does it work compared to the entire MLAA processing on the SPUs ? Any overhead in the switching or any quality difference ?

I don't know that the LS BW has ever been given, but it'll be as much as the SPUs can process, same as cache. I think the given GB/s figure was for the interconnect speed. I think all this was discussed back when in the early system wars PR nonsense where MS and Sony traded figures, and we had the 'total system bandwidth' comparison, which lead to a lot of numbers. Find that thread and you'll no doubt find how much LS BW there is; but it is totally moot. A SPU will never be sitting waiting for data because the LS can't deliver it fast enough.

Back