Roboblitz: 50 Mb Xbox Live Arcade using UE3

basanti

Banned
Naked Sky Entertainment and Allegorithmic Announce Deal to License ProFX Procedural Texture Authoring and Rendering System for RoboBlitz

Naked Sky Entertainment announced today that it has licensed Allegorithmic's ProFX procedural texture authoring and rendering system for its upcoming title RoboBlitz, expected to be one of the first Unreal Engine 3 titles to ship on Xbox 360 Live Arcade and the PC.

RoboBlitz is a humorous, physics-based action game featuring interactive environments, maladjusted baddies, and a host of bizarre weapons. If RoboBlitz used traditional texture maps, the install size would be hundreds of megabytes, possibly gigabytes. By using ProFX procedural textures, which look as good or better than their hand-drawn equivalents, Naked Sky is able to squeeze the entire game into only 50MB.

"ProFX is a huge part of RoboBlitz fitting under the 50MB Live Arcade limit," said Joshua Glazer, Naked Sky's CTO. "Textures are the majority of the budget for most 3D games. As soon as we replaced our big library of textures with procedural equivalents, we cut our footprint to below 1/20 its original size. Procedural textures have been around for a while, but there was never a solution as powerful as ProFX. I think it's going to be a requirement for anyone who wants a top notch, immersive game in a small file size."

Xbox 360 Live Arcade games are currently required to fit entirely within 50MB. Next-generation game engines like Unreal Engine 3 use very large textures which make the 50MB requirement essentially impossible to meet with existing technologies. ProFX solves this problem by letting artists paint textures procedurally. Those textures remain procedural, even if the artist erases, moves, stretches, colors, or otherwise edits any piece of the texture.

"I'm very pleased to see Naked Sky using ProFX for RoboBlitz. From what I've seen, it will be a great game with a very rich environment. I can't wait to see the look on players' faces when they realize what they've downloaded in only 50MB," said Dr. Sébastien Deguy, President and Founder of Allegorithmic.

Seamlessly integrated with Unreal Engine 3, Allegorithmic's ProFX enables the generation of textures of any resolution from source files averaging only 1KB per material. The ProFX middleware is based on patented technology for fully-editable, procedural texture maps and allows texture artists to design hi-quality, next-generation materials (diffuse maps, specular maps, normal maps, etc.) limited only by their imaginations.

Follow this link to learn how to get a first public sneak peek of RoboBlitz and ProFX: http://www.cmpevents.com/GD06/a.asp?option=C&V=11&...

About Allegorithmic:
Allegorithmic is the company behind ProFX, the middleware dedicated to the authoring and rendering of procedural content for next-generation games, and is the owner of the patented FX Maps concept, allowing local artist edits over procedural textures and effects upon which ProFX is built. Allegorithmic's team is made of extremely talented programmers and graphic artists developing new technology, imagery and pipelines for the visual effects and games industries. Allegorithmic is based in France with a branch office in Los Angeles, Ca. For more information, visit the company's web site at http://www.allegorithmic.com

About Naked Sky Entertainment:
Naked Sky Entertainment is an independent, next-generation game developer based in Los Angeles. Composed of top MIT programmers and award-winning artists, Naked Sky specializes in developing games for next-generation console and PC hardware. For more information, visit the company's web site at http://www.nakedsky.com

Interesting, I wonder if this looks as good as full featured games, if this can be used in future games.

Procedural Textures (on the 360)

Very interesting technology...

If RoboBlitz used traditional texture maps, the install size would be hundreds of megabytes, possibly gigabytes. By using ProFX procedural textures, which look as good or better than their hand-drawn equivalents, Naked Sky is able to squeeze the entire game into only 50MB.

"ProFX is a huge part of RoboBlitz fitting under the 50MB Live Arcade limit," said Joshua Glazer, Naked Sky's CTO. "Textures are the majority of the budget for most 3D games. As soon as we replaced our big library of textures with procedural equivalents, we cut our footprint to below 1/20 its original size. Procedural textures have been around for a while, but there was never a solution as powerful as ProFX. I think it's going to be a requirement for anyone who wants a top notch, immersive game in a small file size."

Full PR: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/press_release.php?aid=15093

Site: http://www.allegorithmic.com/v2/news.htm

TexturesMZ2EX_small.jpg

Yea, Allard was talking about that from pre-e3 times, but I didn`t know whether this will be break-through or just break-down. Thumbs up for dev feedback and notion that xbla is becoming gfx experiment field. :D

Sorry to resurrect a 5 month old thread but this game was mentioned in this thread and I thought it a good idea to show what the game looks like here rather than derail the other thread.
Roboblitz08.jpg

Not bad looking for an XBLA title.

I agree it looks good, but I suspect the title can get away with this kind of technology more easily than games with other (more 'natural') settings. Does that make any sense? ;)

There's some very cool stuff here though: http://www.allegorithmic.com/gallery/profx_list.php

profx_gallery_001.JPG

profx_gallery_015.JPG

profx_gallery_017.JPG

Have a look at that demo on the right too (' ProFX2 Rendered materials').

Last edited by a moderator:
I really hope we see more and more XBLA games using this tech. With 50MB limit we should be able to see some awesome 3D games and not only 2D scrollers...

One more tidbit: 'As an example, the 73 full materials (about 200 maps: diffuse, specular, normal, etc.) in the GDC demo level, representing 80MB of DXT compressed content, are being generated in 4 seconds at load-time. The ProFX description file weighs only 280KB!'

Edit - According to their forum (post from yesterday!): http://www.roboblitz.com/forum/topic.php?tid=37

The good news is, that's because we're content complete and have sent the game off for 3rd party testing and certification. :) So, RB is coming soon!!

I agree it looks good, but I suspect the title can get away with this kind of technology more easily than games with other (more 'natural') settings. Does that make any sense? ;)

Of course, materials like checkerplate steel are a lot more consistently repetitive than say bark on a tree.

One more tidbit: 'As an example, the 73 full materials (about 200 maps: diffuse, specular, normal, etc.) in the GDC demo level, representing 80MB of DXT compressed content, are being generated in 4 seconds at load-time. The ProFX description file weighs only 280KB!'

Yeah, I read that one long time ago as well, but thought it is mostly company PR fluff. I awlays thought that there would be a trade of in time, that is using procedurals would take of course much sorter time to load but much longer to generate, that in the end it would take longer time to load and generate a procedural than load and decompress a normal compressed texture.

But I guess with how powerfull the CPUs in the consoles now are while the disc reading speeds are similar as previous gen that using procedurals will both lead to less space on the disc and faster loading, with the only negative now being that it takes more CPU power to generate a procedural than to decompress a texture and might therefore not be so good to do it on the fly...

Of course, materials like checkerplate steel are a lot more consistently repetitive than say bark on a tree.

True but it seems the Middleware they're using can also generate convincing textures of natural objects as well (see above) http://www.allegorithmic.com/gallery/profx_list.php

Procedural is the future and I think it's about time devs start utilizing this tech as it will also enable artists to rid themselves of the static repetition on existing textures without investing the time creating these individual textures that extend large enough to be unique over large areas, or unique across multiple cloned objects. Procedurals will enable not only smaller overall game sizes (in mb) but also more unique looking games overall.

Applying this same methodology and ideal to game character behaviors and the use of physics instead of canned animations will again enable smaller sizes and better experiences as well. Ironic seeing as ps3 seems to have an edge in this ability to generate procedural content over 360, yet it doesn't need it as much as 360 does wrt optical storage. Perhaps they could have got away with a dvd9 for ps3 afterall.;)

Well, the 50 MB limit for XBLA titles aside, this doesn't seem a very good tradeoff. DXT textures compress typically at least 2x even with something simple like zlib, so without procedural generation they'd had to read 40 MB, which, incidentally, is what you can expect to read in 4 seconds off a DVD on a Xbox 360.

Well, the 50 MB limit for XBLA titles aside, this doesn't seem a very good tradeoff. DXT textures compress typically at least 2x even with something simple like zlib, so without procedural generation they'd had to read 40 MB, which, incidentally, is what you can expect to read in 4 seconds off a DVD on a Xbox 360.

If I understood that quote from the site correctly, those 80MB were already compressed...

If I understand it correctly, they were compressed into DXT formats, which still leave quite a lot of information redundancy; in our last game, zlib was able to squeeze our DXT textures 2-2.0x.

What tradoff? They're gaining almost 200 times the space on disc (40MB down to 280KB) and losing... what?

procedural textures are surely the future
but we are talking here of pre-processed texture synth (infact there's a 4 sec of loading while the cpu makes the textures)

the real revolution will be there when some, if not most, of the textures will be generated in realtime, this can give an incredible detail at every level of zoom, and will makes useless texture filters as AF
and more important, the texture can change il realtime reacting to some elements WHILE the gpu is texturing (same can be done with whole fragments and vertex data)

the machine is ready to this, MemExport, cache sharing/locking and core locking functions are here, we have to wait till the right tool wil permit to dev to do the "big step jump"

If I understand it correctly, they were compressed into DXT formats, which still leave quite a lot of information redundancy; in our last game, zlib was able to squeeze our DXT textures 2-2.0x.

At the very least it makes this solution faster. :p

the real revolution will be there when some, if not most, of the textures will be generated in realtime, this can give an incredible detail at every level of zoom, and will makes useless texture filters as AF

It doesn't matter how the textures are generated, if you want to avoid blurring AND pixel flicker, you still need AF.

Back