Roboblitz: 50 Mb Xbox Live Arcade using UE3

Am I the only one concerned that devs will get lazy with this XBLA size increase? I have 10 games on my HDD now. If all of them took up 200MB a piece that would be 2GBs of space off my HDD compared to the 500MB of space they take up now...

Am I the only one concerned that devs will get lazy with this XBLA size increase? I have 10 games on my HDD now. If all of them took up 200MB a piece that would be 2GBs of space off my HDD compared to the 500MB of space they take up now...

Okay, time for a rant...... (don't take this personally Hardknock because you are certainly not the worst offender).

I have been a member of these boards for a long time now, and in fact used to talk with some of you on the old 3dfx boards before that, but recently I have noticed an increasing penchant by posters to call developers lazy. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion, blah blah blah, so here is mine.

I have been working in this industry since the very early 90's and I am yet to come across a so called "Lazy" developer. Oh sure there are plenty of individuals I could put into this catagory but in the context found within these forums it is generally used to describe a development company.

In fact you can safetly make the assumption that if a game has shipped, then the developer was very very far from lazy, and have generally sweat blood to deliver you their latest creation. This is also most likely true for many that don't get shipped.

In this particular example, maybe some (if not most) developers will prefer to not use the miriad of compression techniques to squeeze their game down to 50MB. But rather than being lazy perhaps they'd rather spend their blood and sweat on producing a better game.

For example, I don't want to try squeezing a watermelon up my arse.

Not wanting to do so does not make me lazy, just that I feel my time could be better spent in other pursuits.

Whether it's trying to fit 1GB of data into 50MB or spending time optimising algorithms to work on unsual architectures, it is not always the wisest use of development time (infact while it maybe necessary in some cases, I would suggest that it is rarely so). To simplify this delicate balance of resource allocation down to just being lazy, I find incredibly insulting to my industry and I really hope that mods start cracking down on this.

Mods, if this is inappropriate for this topic for forum then I apologise in advance.

Back