LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the controls are the major issue leading to the average 5-6 points in EGM (were the scores real in gaf?), does it mean they are seriously broken?
Do they review the game for what it is, an arcadey shoot-em-up with "epic" overtones, or do they review it based on their expectationson it being a deep free-roaming strategical dragon simulator cum rpg?
For me, if the controls take a bit of getting used to, and the game being a graphical showcase and fun to play, even if it's short and linear, I'd definitely buy it.
Not every game in my collection needs to be a massive 100 hour task. A good "eye candy" game with solid gameplay suits me just fine.
I need a "brains off" adrenaline booster every now and then, and if Lair is such, it'll be a definite must buy for me.

I can barely even imagine that the controls wouldn't be good, to be honest. It's been tested to death, and they have also shown they were careful enough to consider whether or not motion sensing was the best thing for walking a dragon (i.e., not, so they let you control the dragon through analog sticks on the ground instead).

I'm hoping the reward system with the online rankings works well. I can see that being a major factor in whether or not the game will have some serious replayability.

In general, the newer the experience a game offers, the more chance for people to not get it. In that sense, I'm quite hopeful. ;)

I'll probably buy this game for the graphics alone, even if the controls and gameplay sucked :D
I did buy "Bouncer" for PS2, and enjoyed it very much thank you, so much even that I played it through at least three times just to admire the graphikxx!1!!

Hopefully they put in some super easy learnig level in the game, or even a free flight practising option, it'd be fun if kids that come to visit could play this too. My friends 5 year old child liked the motion control in Motorstorm, RubaDuck and flOw a lot, I'm sure he'd like Lair if the enemies were not too hard.

lairDone.jpg

http://www.langsuyar.com/news/news.html
the grass do look more detailed from that pic. seems they're 3d now.

No 3D grass! Teh game is teh technologically sux!
Seriously, who in their right mind expects true 3d grass in a game with such big, detailed levels and tons of animated dragons and other at the same time.

Please, do not quote for me.
If the game was a lawnmowing simulator, it'd matter more whether the grass was 2D or 3D.
As the game is mostly a flying game with some on the ground action occasionally happening over grassy fields, concentrating on such a minor part of the game is pointless.
The grass doesn't seem to catch fire either. Or is it for that reason there is much less grass in the other pic.

Please, do not quote for me.
If the game was a lawnmowing simulator, it'd matter more whether the grass was 2D or 3D.
As the game is mostly a flying game with some on the ground action occasionally happening over grassy fields, concentrating on such a minor part of the game is pointless.
The grass doesn't seem to catch fire either. Or is it for that reason there is much less grass in the other pic.

I agree.
But it would not be wrong with 3d grass if they had that extra power to do it , right.

I agree.
But it would not be wrong with 3d grass if they had that extra power to do it , right.

Even if they could do 3D grass it would be better to use that power for other more obvious things in the graphics/gameplay department. Hey maybe they even have done that but in the end it is all about balancing things according to the hardware capabilities! ;)

Release officially coming up ... for the U.S. anyway. Looks like the EU version will take a little longer ... (localisation crap)

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=80363

I think I may try to buy this online somewhere, don't need any other languages and don't really feel like waiting much longer ...

I preordered it at dvdboxoffice.com. 43 Euro and free shipping worldwide.
I used them frequently in the early PS2 days, never had to pay taxes or duty fees either.

just why would u turn up the brightness in every Lair screeshots? to reduce its color saturation so it looks worse? btw that pic is from an alpha build. anyway 2d or 3d the grass now looked nice and smooth. OK?

I brighthend them because they where to dark, you see when you brightnd a game it´s easier to find what´s not so good unless the game has nothing to hide.

IMO they game has things to hide otherwise I would not have post it brightend.

I didnt know that SS was from an alpha build when i posted it but now I know, and the fact that the grass looks better now is very good.:D

Games are finite world "built" using limited resources. You can find flaws in all of them. The better ones hide them one way or another. Okaban, just like in real life, it is equally important (actually more so !) to find the beauty in everywhere you look. [Ok, I can imagine ctellis chiming in in 3... 2... 1...]

From the trailers and the hands on, I think I have a good feel where the game stands (and where the flaws are). Still, Lair is one of the first opportunities for me to dive into a large, chaotic (some say confusing) fantasy combat.

Damn it, July has 31 days. So I still have a full 14 days to wait for Lair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back