LAIR Thread - * Rules: post #469

Status
Not open for further replies.
Games are finite world "built" using limited resources. You can find flaws in all of them. The better ones hide them one way or another. Okaban, just like in real life, it is equally important (actually more so !) to find the beauty in everywhere you look. [Ok, I can imagine ctellis chiming in in 3... 2... 1...]

From the trailers and the hands on, I think I have a good feel where the game stands (and where the flaws are). Still, Lair is one of the first opportunities for me to dive into a large, chaotic (some say confusing) fantasy combat.

Damn it, July has 31 days. So I still have a full 14 days to wait for Lair.

Is that for Aus also ? :cry:

I brighthend them because they where to dark, you see when you brightnd a game it´s easier to find what´s not so good unless the game has nothing to hide.

IMO they game has things to hide otherwise I would not have post it brightend.

I didnt know that SS was from an alpha build when i posted it but now I know, and the fact that the grass looks better now is very good.:D

A very explicit comment says this : " i hope you like the grass in the final build" - showing a screenshot of the grass which IS NOT the final build is thus irrelevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree.
But it would not be wrong with 3d grass if they had that extra power to do it , right.

In an action game that is very fast paced do you want the game developer to devote programing time to objects that will no doubt get ignored or wont matter at all during gameplay?

I could understand if the game was slower paced and you had to use grass fields to hide in for stealth missions, then again riding a dragon while wearing a much needed metal armor that shines defeats the purpose of stealth.

Lair is Factor 5's first game out of the gates and yes the PS3 does have alot of computing potential as a games console that is very different from what PS1 and PS2 developers had to work with, at the end of the day though I believe its going to come down to what will the game need the "insert 3d object" for.

We could argue all day that the grass should be 3d and it should catch on fire but will it even matter if it does. I say it should not because then that effect will just create even more problems as it could be argued that trees should catch fire too.

So if trees can catch on fire and burn (and they should) how and what will happen when you have the skies filled with enemy or friendlies and the forest catches on fire, it becomes a different game altogether and you will end up having to avoid doing that so that it does not kill you and make you frustrated while playing if you happen to be inside the forrest.

I think its too early to be expecting such effects, I just feel that they will take time, if it does show up, then good but if it does not and the game is still fun it should also be good.

I personally had my expectations set so high on Halo 3 and its multiplayer mode only to so far be disappointed because although that game will look pretty and all, the things that I expected to evolve in a first person shooter running in a higher spec console over the old XBox 1 were among other things enviromental hazzards and destructible buildings and walls.

Then again given the following that game has if those things I mentioned were to get implemented you would get a split reaction of people who hate the new features because they just don't like getting killed because there are less safe spots or people who will love it.

In an action game that is very fast paced do you want the game developer to devote programing time to objects that will no doubt get ignored or wont matter at all during gameplay?

I could understand if the game was slower paced and you had to use grass fields to hide in for stealth missions, then again riding a dragon while wearing a much needed metal armor that shines defeats the purpose of stealth.

Lair is Factor 5's first game out of the gates and yes the PS3 does have alot of computing potential as a games console that is very different from what PS1 and PS2 developers had to work with, at the end of the day though I believe its going to come down to what will the game need the "insert 3d object" for.

We could argue all day that the grass should be 3d and it should catch on fire but will it even matter if it does. I say it should not because then that effect will just create even more problems as it could be argued that trees should catch fire too.

So if trees can catch on fire and burn (and they should) how and what will happen when you have the skies filled with enemy or friendlies and the forest catches on fire, it becomes a different game altogether and you will end up having to avoid doing that so that it does not kill you and make you frustrated while playing if you happen to be inside the forrest.

I think its too early to be expecting such effects, I just feel that they will take time, if it does show up, then good but if it does not and the game is still fun it should also be good.

I personally had my expectations set so high on Halo 3 and its multiplayer mode only to so far be disappointed because although that game will look pretty and all, the things that I expected to evolve in a first person shooter running in a higher spec console over the old XBox 1 were among other things enviromental hazzards and destructible buildings and walls.

Then again given the following that game has if those things I mentioned were to get implemented you would get a split reaction of people who hate the new features because they just don't like getting killed because there are less safe spots or people who will love it.

Excellent post

I brighthend them because they where to dark, you see when you brightnd a game it´s easier to find what´s not so good unless the game has nothing to hide.

IMO they game has things to hide otherwise I would not have post it brightend.

I didnt know that SS was from an alpha build when i posted it but now I know, and the fact that the grass looks better now is very good.:D

If you can´t see the flaws unless you artificially change the settings i find it hard to consider it a "flaw". It´s like watching a DVD with Brightness, Color and Contrast maxed out and saying "this dvd looks like crap what a shitty compression"

I think your reaching, if you brigthend the picture to show something else like filtering method or whatever i could see a point.

And next time you point fingers, check your material.

I am more likely to add weight to single console magazines with games as there can be no hidden agendas/vendettas.
In the years 1999 - 2002 I have written some numerous articles for a Dutch magazine and a local big gaming website (that later even had their own TV show on a popular Belgian channel) and today I wouldn't trust a review even If my life depended on it.

I've heard numerous thing

* Don't try to give a game a low grade from a particulary publisher because it will come harder for you to get review material the next time
* the goodies and stuff, the trips,... .
* you scratch my back , I scratch your (especially for exclusives)
* Big popular local technical sites reporting pure fud. Even if the news is just technical moronic and it so clear that it is wrong. But then you look at their biggest advertiser or "sponsers"... .
* vendetta's or bias against a particularly brand, platform. Really when some sites sent out a "reporter" to an event for a console launch, when that same person on other boards is trolling for months about that particulary console there is something wrong. You think that such a person can make a honest article or impression ?

Name me one title and with some luck and time I can find a hunderd different scores and opinions. Really Sony has done some really strange PR with moments and has made blunders. But even with that you can say how some sites reacted or reported was sometimes strange (understatement). Allot of FUD.

I don't want to say that there aren't any honest reviewers/sites/magazines out there but today I seem to only to trust user reviews (the biased you can easily pick out) or try the demo out. Downloadable demo's on a console is a gods gift.

I've never trusted critical reviews from any site wholly and I don't think many people do..

To be honest you can pretty much tell a reviewers bias through their justification of the given score. If you can identify the points they class as negatives and evaluate just how much they matter to you as an individual then you can prretty much guage just how "accurate" the quality of the review actually is..

Also things like reading a review of a FPS which begins with "I've never really been a fan of FPS.." automatically provide me with enough cause to switch off and ignore anything else the reviewer has to say regarding the game.. It always annoyed me that companies wouldn't appoint FPS enthusiasts to review FPSs, JRPG enthusiasts to review JRPGs etc since practically, the vast majority of people looking to buy the game (and hence wanted to know whether it's any good or not) would be individuals already interested in that specific genre..

Nowadays I prefer to read previews, make up my mind about a game and then just go out and buy it.. Especially since whether a game gets 9.5 or 7.5 doesn't mean I still can't enjoy it.. So in that respect i'd rather not put myself off by referring to jaded reviews by agenda-fuelled press and instead blame myself if the game stinks when I play it..

At least that way I know I won't miss out on any potential gems which I as an individual can really connect to (even if the rest of the world can't..)

One man's junk is another man's treasure after all..

I've never trusted critical reviews from any site wholly and I don't think many people do..

To be honest you can pretty much tell a reviewers bias through their justification of the given score. If you can identify the points they class as negatives and evaluate just how much they matter to you as an individual then you can prretty much guage just how "accurate" the quality of the review actually is..

Also things like reading a review of a FPS which begins with "I've never really been a fan of FPS.." automatically provide me with enough cause to switch off and ignore anything else the reviewer has to say regarding the game.. It always annoyed me that companies wouldn't appoint FPS enthusiasts to review FPSs, JRPG enthusiasts to review JRPGs etc since practically, the vast majority of people looking to buy the game (and hence wanted to know whether it's any good or not) would be individuals already interested in that specific genre..

Nowadays I prefer to read previews, make up my mind about a game and then just go out and buy it.. Especially since whether a game gets 9.5 or 7.5 doesn't mean I still can't enjoy it.. So in that respect i'd rather not put myself off by referring to jaded reviews by agenda-fuelled press and instead blame myself if the game stinks when I play it..

At least that way I know I won't miss out on any potential gems which I as an individual can really connect to (even if the rest of the world can't..)

One man's junk is another man's treasure after all..
totally agree. it's also like movies, i know ID4 or Godzilla didnt get good reviews but they're still some of the best sci-fi flicks to me.

The Edge score is bogus. The review is not in the new issue.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (NDS, Nintendo): 9
Blue Dragon (Xbox 360, Microsoft): 6
Transformers (Xbox 360/PS3/Wii/PS2, Activision): 2
Odin Sphere (PS2, Atlus): 6
Ouendan 2 (NDS, Nintendo): 8
Monster Madness (Xbox 360, Southpeak): 5
Exit 2 (PSP, Taito): 7
Hour of Victory (Xbox 360, Midway): 2
Tenchu Z (Xbox 360, From Software): 6
Calling all cars (PS3, Sony): 6
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 (PS3, Ubisoft): 6
More Brain Training (NDS, Nintendo): 7
Anno 1701 (NDS, Disney): 8

Edit - not enough sleep... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Eurogamer hasn't reviewed this game yet.

This whole review thing is such bullshit. Just wait until we get official reviews, and stick to those. It seems like teh interweb has found a new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back