Lair presentation on Siggraph 2006 30 July - 3 August

Laa-Yosh said:
I think we've seen absolutely nothing from the gameplay. Those images are from in-engine or maybe even prerendered movies, there was nothing to speculate from.

Yes, We need to see some gameplay. Are they flying over the ocean? well it might be possible to have this level of detail.....................but if they are fighting over land I'm not sure.......are there villages? buildings, people, trees, fences, animals, draw distance, ect... do they use 'fog' to keep the frame rate up? can you fight on the ground or is all the action well above ground and no land to be seen?

Warhawk follows this pattern: over the ocean and some normal mapped islands with sparse surroundings. Same as Motorstorm, very little detail.

First Generation I guess.

Personally, I think Drakan had an overall great representation of things-dragony. ^_^ (PC, at least. I never played the PS2 version.) Drakengard's dragon gameplay was fun as well (IMHO the "Dynasty Warriors" component was more repetitive than the "Panzer Dragoon" part), and that's plenty modern.

While gameplay AS a dragon hasn't seen too many iterations when compared to other fantasy themes, I don't think there's been "adaptation difficulties" arising from the subject matter.

IMHO, it's more logistics, animation, and attachment. Without tool use, dragons have had basically one "schtick" over the years--breath weapons. Animating them in melee is a heaping handful more difficult than humans, and basically means you're not flying--which is the thing most people are attracted to in a game like that. And, of course, you're a good level or two distanced from really "getting into" your character if there's to be any reasonable plot component, which is why dragons have almost always been mounts/sidekicks.

Unless that's actually what one meant by "adaptation." ;)

CountZeroInt said:
Heard through the grapevine some bad things about Factor 5 just recently.

My guess is that Lair probably isn't coming out until Fall 2007. Someone apparently noticed that the game was poo? History has shown that it's very hard to get a dragon movie or game right. Maybe they bit off more than they could chew?
Grapevine?

A dev from F5 posted on IGN boards that Lair would rival Oblivion in terms of scale with much better draw distance.

EricVonZipper said:
Warhawk follows this pattern: over the ocean and some normal mapped islands with sparse surroundings.

If you have seen some of the Warhawk video previews you would have seen that you can actually land your bird and fight in cities on the ground on foot or in vehicles.

Probably the reason there are a lot of over the water screenshots right now is because a lot of people are easily impressed by shiny water.

Bad_Boy said:
Got a link?

I had the link, but lost it. But he's right the guy working on Lair did say that. With scale I think he meant overall size of the world, not the side quest that Oblivion has.

mckmas8808 said:
I had the link, but lost it. But he's right the guy working on Lair did say that. With scale I think he meant overall size of the world, not the side quest that Oblivion has.
Sounds nice, did he say any other details about the game?

ZiFF said:
A dev from F5 posted on IGN boards that Lair would rival Oblivion in terms of scale with much better draw distance.
A scale and draw distance doesn't yet tell much of the real scope and detail of the gameworld.
It would be quite a surprise if the game turned out to be more than a simplish shooter (not that there's anything wrong with a pure shoot-em-up game if it's done right).
An action rpg featuring dragons and dragon combat with a world rivalling Oblivion in detail and scale would be awesome.

Or maybe by scale the dev meant dragon scales ;)

rabidrabbit said:
A scale and draw distance doesn't yet tell much of the real scope and detail of the gameworld.
It would be quite a surprise if the game turned out to be more than a simplish shooter (not that there's anything wrong with a pure shoot-em-up game if it's done right).
An action rpg featuring dragons and dragon combat with a world rivalling Oblivion in detail and scale would be awesome.

Or maybe by scale the dev meant dragon scales ;)

When he said scale, he said it to mean overall game world size. Not in the RPG do 100 side quest kind of way. ;)

Yes, will it be populated with little villages you can burn and eat the villagers, or just fields and fields and more fields?

Too bad there will be no official material from the presentaion.

I couldn't really tell you what will become available. I can say for sure that our company won't release any material from the talk, but of course we have little control over what 3rd parties take away from (and talk about) the user group.

dskneo said:
panzer........ dragoon

pd2.jpg

a complete failure
"cuff"
Sacrilege!
How dare you talk like that about Panzer Dragoon!!

Got a link?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3392124&postcount=161

And I should be a little clearer about the comment on Oblivion because I don't want this to turn into thread comparing such or give people the wrong impression. With Oblivion, you have thick forest that really prevent you from seeing that far ahead of you, that way the developers can stream in new geometry and textures as you pass through the levels. Oblivon may have a larger overall size in terms of miles, but you can only see a small amount of it in front of your screen. It's not this way in Lair.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3392124&postcount=161

And I should be a little clearer about the comment on Oblivion because I don't want this to turn into thread comparing such or give people the wrong impression. With Oblivion, you have thick forest that really prevent you from seeing that far ahead of you, that way the developers can stream in new geometry and textures as you pass through the levels. Oblivon may have a larger overall size in terms of miles, but you can only see a small amount of it in front of your screen. It's not this way in Lair.

Outdoors you can see quite far into the distance if your location allows, i dont know what he means by this. Theres instances where youre in thick forests but thats only in certain locations, not the entire game.

Back