Lair presentation on Siggraph 2006 30 July - 3 August

mckmas8808 said:
Hmmm. That's after the Playstation presentation in July. Hope we get lots of news.

Are you sure that a Playstation meeting will take place in July? We haven't got any date for this event.

This is one of the few games that I'm waiting for gameplay footage. The one screen with the HUD looks totally next gen.

Each model, Worch claimed, contained somewhere between 100,000 and 170,000 triangles. Each had a bunch of other special maps and lighting applied, and the main character was built up with "over ten textures". He compared this to an estimated 10,000 for characters in Gears of War and other recent high-res games. The high-res models, meanwhile, that got dithered down to produce the in-game models, ran up around 5,000,000 triangles."
--Matthias Worch, designer and technical art director for Factor 5
Is that even possible? I mean with all of the complaints about Cell...

DUALDISASTER said:
Is that even possible?
He's lying, insane or telling the truth. Which do you think is most probable?

I'm sure that 170,000 polygons for something that constantly takes up a large portion of the screen fits in some developers' next-gen plans.

Inane_Dork said:
He's lying, insane or telling the truth. Which do you think is most probable?

I'm sure that 170,000 polygons for something that constantly takes up a large portion of the screen fits in some developers' next-gen plans.
Well talk around here stated that the RSX could display a peak of 250 million polygons a second. Shaders, T and L, and overdraw strips that number down. I would believe somewhere there's a lie.

DUALDISASTER said:
Well talk around here stated that the RSX could display a peak of 250 million polygons a second. Shaders, T and L, and overdraw strips that number down. I would believe somewhere there's a lie.

Well first off, a model being composed of 170k polygons does not mean that 170k polygons must be drawn on the screen. If your shading/engine affords that, though, so be it - the setup rate won't stop you there. And a moment ago you were referring to "complaints about Cell" (??)

Last edited by a moderator:
170k polys is ~10M/s at 60fps. The game will also use LOD as the object moves further from the camera. Factor5 has always had a lot of technical talent, so it seems possible if that is how they have budgeted their resources.

Titanio said:
Well first off, a model being composed of 170k polygons does not mean that 170k polygons must be drawn on the screen. If your shading/engine affords that, though, so be it - the setup rate won't stop you there. And a moment ago you were referring to "complaints about Cell" (??)
Yeah, Some memebers here believe that Cell wont help this. I believe it could.

DUALDISASTER said:
is...is that gameplay?!:oops:
That clip is from the real-time e3 2005 trailer if memory serves me correct.
There have been no showings of gameplay yet, just hints of what it could be like in the trailers.

Bad_Boy said:
That clip is from the real-time e3 2005 trailer if memory serves me correct.
There have been no showings of gameplay yet, just hints of what it could be like in the trailers.
Hmmm, so another "killzone" Cutscene... I don't think that's gonna happen with the RSX. But prove me wrong.

DUALDISASTER said:
Hmmm, so another "killzone" Cutscene... I don't think that's gonna happen with the RSX. But prove me wrong.
I think its more along the lines of a mgs4 cutscene. It's real time, not pre-rendered cgi like killzone.

Back