Lair presentation on Siggraph 2006 30 July - 3 August

It's actually from the Playstation meeting from last year. 100% real time. They actually showed it running at this year's GDC.

realtime in the same sense of the toyshop, ruby demo. dont get your hopes up just because they moved the camera right and left

spdistro said:
realtime in the same sense of the toyshop, ruby demo. dont get your hopes up just because they moved the camera right and left
These guys have always matched their trailers during gameplay, so there's no reason to believe this time it'll be otherwise.

spdistro said:
IIRC toyshop is a tech demo to show off the power of a specific graphic card no? Why would Factor 5 waste time on making a real time tech demo that was way beyond what the actual game could do? Sounds like a waste of development time, especially if they wanted to make launch window. They could have just outsourced a cg demo like everyone else if they wanted to show amazing looking graphics. Anyways, theres an actual in-game screen shot around somewhere with the hud and all, and it looks pretty damn good. Not to mention Factor 5 has a pretty good history with getting alot of graphical power out of hardware. The only thing I am worried about with Lair, is gameplay.

spdistro said:
May I remind you, people said exactly the same thing about the first Rogue Squadron game for the gamecube when the first tech demo and screens started appearing for it.

In the end, the game looked and performed BETTER than the initial images. So please stop this totally baseless bashing immediately. You have no reason whatsoever to believe F5 has exaggerated anything or tried to trick people in any way.

Guden Oden said:
May I remind you, people said exactly the same thing about the first Rogue Squadron game for the gamecube when the first tech demo and screens started appearing for it.

In the end, the game looked and performed BETTER than the initial images. So please stop this totally baseless bashing immediately. You have no reason whatsoever to believe F5 has exaggerated anything or tried to trick people in any way.

Did people seriously bash F5 about the Rogue Squadron's graphics before it came out? If so how much?

mckmas8808 said:
Did people seriously bash F5 about the Rogue Squadron's graphics before it came out? If so how much?

Oh, they did bash it a lot. Some said they used the film model to make a CGI sequence, etc. But anyway, so far info from F5 has always been quite reliable. The only issue was that they usually the full models (incl. culled polygons, etc.) for their x million polygons/sec numbers. They're, in my opinion, very trustworthy.

mattcoz said:
What's wrong with saying that? They did use the film model, and that was a good thing.

That's absolute nonsense. For starters, F5 specifically stated that they did not use the film models. Moreover, the sequence was not CGI but a real time sequence.

factor5 made rogue squadron? nice
from the initial launch games on the gc + ps2 + xbox i thought that was the most impressive graphically

mckmas8808 said:
Of course some people did. You can't stop stupidity on the internet.

I think the extent of the claims was that the LOD was too aggresive. It was too aggresive for screens, but it wasn't bad for video.

zed said:
factor5 made rogue squadron? nice
from the initial launch games on the gc + ps2 + xbox i thought that was the most impressive graphically
They did it in 7-8 month!

mckmas8808 said:
Did people seriously bash F5 about the Rogue Squadron's graphics before it came out?
Oh did they EVER! :LOL:

People rained hate on that game like there was no tomorrow, but it was too long ago now to bother trying to dig up any example posts.

Guden Oden said:
Oh did they EVER! :LOL:

People rained hate on that game like there was no tomorrow, but it was too long ago now to bother trying to dig up any example posts.

Can you loosely remember what people said about it? Like for example what did they say? You don't have to get an exact post or anything.

mckmas8808 said:
Can you loosely remember what people said about it? Like for example what did they say? You don't have to get an exact post or anything.

I don't know pre-game, but post-game release many Factor5 games have been criticized for their shallow gameplay and how the non-flight gameplay portions are far below the quality of the flight portions and also hurt pacing.

I tend to agree with those comments (myself being a GCN owner). That said, technically they are hard to beat. The first RS game for the GCN is still one of the best technical showcases of the previous generation and it was released in the first year.

Acert93 said:
I don't know pre-game, but post-game release many Factor5 games have been criticized for their shallow gameplay and how the non-flight gameplay portions are far below the quality of the flight portions and also hurt pacing.

I tend to agree with those comments (myself being a GCN owner). That said, technically they are hard to beat. The first RS game for the GCN is still one of the best technical showcases of the previous generation and it was released in the first year.

But what were people saying bad about the screenshots before the game was released? Do you remember?

mckmas8808 said:
Can you loosely remember what people said about it?
It's stuff that isn't worth remembering. The usual trolling and poo-pooing, you know how it goes. Just look at Sony35 or Nanotech speaking about PS3, or Powderkeg about Wii for example.

Back