Kutaragi on delay and on sony

I'm not sure that is a fair comparison because of the huge difference in installed base, it was rather easy to sell 1m on PS2 compared to Xbox because only like 1% people had to bought it, basically that list is only good for seeing what larger installer base provides and how important that is to the publishers. Ninja Gaiden must be really close to 1million, but it's hard to find sales numbers, the original sold over 600k in US and if you factor in Black it's surely over 1mil worldwide.

To me, the list really illustrates that the "system sellers" for the most part, aren't really going anywhere. Meanwhile there's alot of talk about just that sort of thing. MGS on XBox. FF and DMC on Xbox. Just alot of unsubtantiated stuff. And the reasoning behind it is sounds, but look at the list and sure enough, alot of those franchises are pretty much stuck on Playstation.

Of course, the XBox ones seem just as stuck but I haven't been getting "the message" that games are going the other way, despite the PS3's dramatic increase in PC ports compared to PS2.

To me, the list really illustrates that the "system sellers" for the most part, aren't really going anywhere.

Imo these days the Playstation brand is so strong that even if you totally switch the game libraries between Sony and MS, the Playstation owners would still buy Playstation atleast in the west. I don't think big masses are very attached to many of the games on those list, some of them are just car game, fighting game, platformer etc if you know what I mean.

I don't think big masses are very attached to many of the games on those list, some of them are just car game, fighting game, platformer etc if you know what I mean.

You know you could certainly be right. Trends have bee changing pretty drasticly. For instance, none of us has even the slightest idea of how value-add services are going to play into selling systems. Will people give a rats' that they can browse on PS3?

Well. At least there's one thing we do know:

"There is no theory of evolution. Just a list of animals Chuck Norris allows to live."

That a *u**ing fact.

i bet there would be quite a few people who like to browse the web.(on ps3)
my parents dont have a computer and so does still a lot of people .
this could be a small step to integrating these kind of people (mostly elderly) to the
wide world of internet and digital age

I'm not sure that is a fair comparison because of the huge difference in installed base, it was rather easy to sell 1m on PS2 compared to Xbox because only like 1% people had to bought it, basically that list is only good for seeing what larger installer base provides

This has a degree of truth to it - but that larger install base also provides a good leg-up to its follow up system in terms of library and library recognition. As I said, all but 3 of the third party franchises on that list have already been announced for PS3 only (the others haven't been announced at all yet), probably just because it's PS3, the followup to the PS2.

Ninja Gaiden must be really close to 1million, but it's hard to find sales numbers, the original sold over 600k in US and if you factor in Black it's surely over 1mil worldwide.

Possibly, but these lists on wiki only cover games that had a single entry pass 1m. I don't know if we consider Gaiden+Black to be one game.

I think is said you were being 'overly defensive' ;) On the topic at hand, you were still completely wrong.

I'm still waiting for your explanation how the PS3 library will outnumber 360 five to one like PS2:XBOX....seriously back up your statement or admit you're totally exagerating. Illustrate to me how that is even close to a reasonable expectation....

Forgive me for butting in, but if you include Horse Racing, Dating Simulation, Train Driving and Pachinko titles, I'd still expect PS3 to have a vast software library compared to any console not popular in Japan :)

Seriously, if you look at any platform, an overwhelming portion of the available software is complete shovelware. And that probably grows exponentially with the popularity of a platform - especially in any area where there are significant niche markets for titles that are easy to produce.

I would not be surprised to see the PS3 have a massive software library - even if you discount the possibilities in Sony shipping a Linux variant or offering an online marketplace.

Any yes, I'm kind of assuming they'll still be the market leader - at least in Japan, and probably in Europe. I fully expect them to be the leader everywhere else as well, but frankly Japan would be enough to boost the software library to silly levels.

Possibly, but these lists on wiki only cover games that had a single entry pass 1m. I don't know if we consider Gaiden+Black to be one game.

Yeah i agree basically my point was that Ninja Gaiden might be at 1mil. For some reason the sales data seems to be under a rock, I found out that it sold 622k in US according to vgcharts, Japanese and other numbers are MIA, you would think that in Japan it was one of the better selling games for Xbox, but most likely less than 150k which is what DOA3 sold, but I'd say 100k is close to reasonable, that leaves less than 300k for the rest of the world, I dunno but it's certainly possible it's over 1mil, but the data is not available.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wikipedia (yes, I know, hence a very heavy E&OE ;)). I can't find anywhere else listing comprehensive game sales for the generation.
There was vgcharts.com, and there was another one that allowed sorting of title by platform etc. It was very good, and now I can't find it :(. And vgcharts stops at 2004 so is no use.

@ Mr. Wibble : That's something I was thinking. It's not the major exclusives that matter as much as the minor exclusives. PS2 had 5x the library of XB, and most of that was minor exclusives. The major exclusives only account for a smallish percentage of users in the main. CON was a minor exclusive, but was a strong player in a niche market that had PS2 as the best choice for fantasy hack-n-slash fans. SingStar is a minor exclusive catering for karaoke fans. Perhaps the problem with MS's platform is it mostly targets major titles, and major titles don't appeal to the majority of people? You've more chance of selling 3+ million copies ofa game with a major title, but less chance of capturing another 10 million customers by offering lots of diverse minor games that don't even sell a million copies each.

I think is said you were being 'overly defensive' ;) On the topic at hand, you were still completely wrong.

I'm still waiting for your explanation how the PS3 library will outnumber 360 five to one like PS2:XBOX....seriously back up your statement or admit you're totally exagerating. Illustrate to me how that is even close to a reasonable expectation....

I don't think the words "The PS3 library will outnumber the 360 library 5 to 1" ever came out of my mouth, or in this case, my fingers. If i did, please quote me. *HINT* I was never talking about quantity, and it's pretty clear from my post.

If there is anyone around here who is always overly defensive when someone even tries to put some company in a good light, it is certainly not me, let me reassure you. Heck, putting words into people's mouths is a very clear sign of defensiveness, because never have i implied that your favourite toy is doomed or has a small library or whatever else keeps you awake at night.

As proof, i haven't had a post of mine deleted by mods for being stupidly and unneccessarily aggressive for years. But it just happened to you in this very thread. Defensive huh... Get a grip and stop taking things so seriously, we're not at the UN discussing how to save Africa from poverty, they're bloody toys for god's sake.

Goodbye

I think another aspect to consider is the changing demographics of gamers. There are more and more older gamers, and as I’ve noticed from me and my friends, game choice changes. Games like Final Fantasy and MGS might have appealed to me when I was in my teens but now I find them highly overrated and difficult to take seriously given their (imo) cheesy storyline and poor voice acting. While there are certainly enjoyable Japanese games, I find myself liking western games more in comparison and I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

I think another aspect to consider is the changing demographics of gamers. There are more and more older gamers, and as I’ve noticed from me and my friends, game choice changes. Games like Final Fantasy and MGS might have appealed to me when I was in my teens but now I find them highly overrated and difficult to take seriously given their (imo) cheesy storyline and poor voice acting. While there are certainly enjoyable Japanese games, I find myself liking western games more in comparison and I have a feeling I'm not the only one.

Okay I understand that its your personal opinion and all but what the hell have you been smoking while you played MGS? Poor voice acting? Thats insult to gaming!

I understand poor voice acting with FFX because Tidus and Yuna both had terrible voices, especially theyr laughter made me want to die.

Okay I understand that its your personal opinion and all but what the hell have you been smoking while you played MGS? Poor voice acting? Thats insult to gaming!

I understand poor voice acting with FFX because Tidus and Yuna both had terrible voices, especially theyr laughter made me want to die.

Absolutely. If there is one thing MGS games have been doing well, it's voice acting. Shame that what they say usually doesn't make much sense, but at least they sound good while they're at it... :devilish:

Okay I understand that its your personal opinion and all but what the hell have you been smoking while you played MGS? Poor voice acting?Thats insult to gaming!
It's MGS2 to be more specific. I haven't played the 3rd one, so no comments on the voice acting there. However, the stuff I heard in the trailer for MGS4 also sounded over the top to me(although not nearly as bad). Over dramatized, and very typical for the age group targeted in Japan. Yes it's my opinion, although I know there are others who agree with me.

However, didn't they say in the FFXII US preview that FFXII had surprisingly excellent voice acting? Remember the E3 2006 preview video?

I don't think the words "The PS3 library will outnumber the 360 library 5 to 1" ever came out of my mouth, or in this case, my fingers. If i did, please quote me. *HINT* I was never talking about quantity, and it's pretty clear from my post.

If there is anyone around here who is always overly defensive when someone even tries to put some company in a good light, it is certainly not me, let me reassure you. Heck, putting words into people's mouths is a very clear sign of defensiveness, because never have i implied that your favourite toy is doomed or has a small library or whatever else keeps you awake at night.

As proof, i haven't had a post of mine deleted by mods for being stupidly and unneccessarily aggressive for years. But it just happened to you in this very thread. Defensive huh... Get a grip and stop taking things so seriously, we're not at the UN discussing how to save Africa from poverty, they're bloody toys for god's sake.

Goodbye

"at the end of the day, so far the PS3 library will be to the 360 Library what the PS2 library was to the Xbox one. "

?? As for your 'proof', I said the above statement was "borderline delusional", you straight up called someone a troll, I don't control what the mods decide to delete, but in my books that's quite a bit worse.

"at the end of the day, so far the PS3 library will be to the 360 Library what the PS2 library was to the Xbox one. "

?? As for your 'proof', I said the above statement was "borderline delusional", you straight up called someone a troll, I don't control what the mods decide to delete, but in my books that's quite a bit worse.

I was never talking about the quantity of the games, which i still think will be greater on PS3 anyway. But if you don't understand this now, after 3 times i've said it, you never will simply because you don't want to understand.

I called someone (who isn't even you!) a troll because that's what he/she was doing incessantly. What are you now, the forum police? You bad repped me for calling that guy a troll, and strangely enough he was spending his time making sure that Sony was the big bad.

Ot

on the SC tangent (sorry, but one cannot mention something like this and expect people not to jump in)

from an IGN article dated Jan 23, 2004
All three versions shipped simultaneously in August 2003.

So now that 2003 has come to an end, how did the three separate versions sell through December? Phenomenally well. But in a trend that we as Nintendo fans certainly hope continues, the GameCube version outperformed both the PlayStation 2 and Xbox in year-end sales. Namco sold 500,000 copies of SCII for GCN; it sold 447,000 units for PS2; and it sold 320,000 units for Xbox.

curiously enough, wikipedia claims to have a tad more precise figures for the same period from the article: 500,685 vs. 447,138 and 320,991 respectively.

so what more recent sales data do we have? when did the ps2 sales catch up with the GC's?

finally, i'll take the liberty to express my own opinion of SC2 - despite the gargantuan multiplatform effort Namco did on it, that game was a heresy in the SC line. it moved in a couple of really wrong directions, but luckily it did not take long for Namco to straighten that up in SC3. now, had that latter one been released on the cube, we could have had a fairly interesting topic for discussion..

Back