Kinect technology thread

The body/face scanning truly is incredible, although I do smile when they say you choose whether male or female so as not to offend those people they can't tell from just looking. ;)

Well, there's at least some good press for Kinect 2 building.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/kinect-sports-rivals-proves-kinect-20-actually-works

I thought I had heard Microsoft was supplying the face scanning, or whatever you want to call it, as part of the SDK. Does anyone know if that is true? I hope it is, and some other companies make use of it. I'd love for it to be used in the EA Sports titles for online play. It would be interesting to see other stylized approaches, or even a realistic approach to see how close they can really get it. My guess is not really close, which is why they've gone stylized. Kinect 3 will be great. I can't wait for five to ten years from now.

The body/face scanning truly is incredible, although I do smile when they say you choose whether male or female so as not to offend those people they can't tell from just looking. ;)

I guess MS wants to avoid embarrassing situations where Kinect ends up confused and gets it wrong because the gamer is rocking a perm and a mustache.

Well, there's at least some good press for Kinect 2 building.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/20/kinect-sports-rivals-proves-kinect-20-actually-works

I thought I had heard Microsoft was supplying the face scanning, or whatever you want to call it, as part of the SDK. Does anyone know if that is true? I hope it is, and some other companies make use of it. I'd love for it to be used in the EA Sports titles for online play. It would be interesting to see other stylized approaches, or even a realistic approach to see how close they can really get it. My guess is not really close, which is why they've gone stylized. Kinect 3 will be great. I can't wait for five to ten years from now.

Nice, that also seems to match what others have said when they got a chance to try Kinect 2.0. That it is very responsive. Also nice that from his description of the Jetskiing part, you can probably do it while sitting down as it only involves the hands, arms, and leaning (which you only really need your upper torso for).

Regards,
SB

Nice, that also seems to match what others have said when they got a chance to try Kinect 2.0. That it is very responsive. Also nice that from his description of the Jetskiing part, you can probably do it while sitting down as it only involves the hands, arms, and leaning (which you only really need your upper torso for).

Regards,
SB

Kinect Sports Rivals is supposed to have a seated mode as well as a standing mode for all of the games.

I would like to see a "not specified" option though.
It does seem somewhat irrelevant. If the avatar looks like the user, it's down to the other gamers to interpret, like real life. I wonder if the underlying anims are different though, with perceptible masculine/femine Champion differences? Oh, hang on, the avatars are skeleton tracks so you see the player's own movements! I don't really see the need to make the distinction.

It does seem somewhat irrelevant. If the avatar looks like the user, it's down to the other gamers to interpret, like real life. I wonder if the underlying anims are different though, with perceptible masculine/femine Champion differences? Oh, hang on, the avatars are skeleton tracks so you see the player's own movements! I don't really see the need to make the distinction.

It's for all the transgender people out there. ;) That way they can pick the sex they think they are rather than the sex they physically are. :)

Regards,
SB

The vid says it scans the body = "we scan the body type first." However, it doesn't do a 1:1 match as all the champions are athletic, so they may want to refine it to masculine or feminine parameters.
Some people feel agender, and don't want to fit in with society stereotypes so it's good that option exists, although a neutrois, androgynous person -female body tends to be more androgynous than the male body, imho- would love to not have to select a gender.

Additionally, some people don't have enough of a gender identity to be satisfied or dissatisfied with a particular gender. I mean, a woman -or a man with other men- can form a lot of close connections with other women. And maybe that proves that her gender identity is female and she is happy with it. But in the end I guess it depends how heavily she has to be invested in femaleness and the like, to count as having a female identity.

There are so many humans, and a few would prefer to be born completely genderless, like... a neuter. Sort of like an elf/fairy-thing. So I can quite understand that a more neutral body could appeal to some people.

Sorry for the OT.

I gotta go so I'll be brief now. The new Kinect can perform motion capture at home.

http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/21/xbox-one-kinect-can-perform-motion-capture-at-home/

The scanning aimation is clever, it gets you to move around.

Motion capture for Project Spark too. New Kinect is what has me excited about the new consoles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Facial capture, motion capture, and voice capture via Kinect in Project Spark. Wow. That could be pretty amazing to see how ppl use that.

While the physical controller won't go away, it has limited us to positioning a cursor to shoot or otherwise "interact." Thus most games are about blowing stuff up and pressing buttons. Or jumping.

Kinect may not be entirely there yet, but is better than nothing. We've got voice as standard on a console now. Games can read your face and gestures, see what you're actually pointing at. More input has to be better if it's natural enough.

While the physical controller won't go away, it has limited us to positioning a cursor to shoot or otherwise "interact." Thus most games are about blowing stuff up and pressing buttons. Or jumping.

Kinect may not be entirely there yet, but is better than nothing. We've got voice as standard on a console now. Games can read your face and gestures, see what you're actually pointing at. More input has to be better if it's natural enough.

I agree especially about voice. Im really exciting about the multimedia capabilities of Kinect like input switching and internet surf.(can I tell the xbox to zoom???)

When I look at the wave race game (which has fantastic water effects) I want to "feel" the water not just simulate having a steering column in my hands.

Back