Kinect technology thread

Kinect 2 looks great.

http://gizmodo.com/kinect-2-full-video-walkthrough-the-xbox-sees-you-like-509155673

Time of flight. IR camera view. Latency is supposed to be reduced around 2 frames at 30 fps. Watch the full Kinect demo that was given on the gizmodo link.

Everything in that video is awesome sauce.

The fact you can swap controllers and change places and Kinect auto detects and could alter split screen to accomodate is pretty sweet. The facial engagement as well as expression, heart rate, noise cancelling, thumbs, IR, tracking force, etc as an entire package is really impressive.

We better get a good boxing game out of this!!!

Everything in that video is awesome sauce.

The fact you can swap controllers and change places and Kinect auto detects and could alter split screen to accomodate is pretty sweet. The facial engagement as well as expression, heart rate, noise cancelling, thumbs, IR, tracking force, etc as an entire package is really impressive.

We better get a good boxing game out of this!!!

We've discussed this before. Boxing is pretty much all I want. They give me a good boxing game, and I'm sold.

Yeah. I think this is what they have always had in mind but couldn't do because of technological the limitations of the 360 and Kinect V1. This is seriously impressive.

Yup it's hugely impressive. Since depth no longer requires any visual queue's that means less that can go wrong. Add in the custom SOC for Kinect and it should be significantly less error prone as that link points out.

I'm wondering how it's tracking heart rate? I wonder if the time of flight depth sensor is sensitive enough to see pulses on your skin representing the ebb and flow of blood. Or if it's something more coarse and estimating based on the movement of your chest in and out (how hard the person is breathing). If it's the latter I'm not sure how accurate it would be.

As well the ability of Kinect 2.0 to associate a persons voice with the actual person should remove the possibility of audio from the machine itself issuing commands (as the hilarious blog posts about Kinect 1.0 + live feed illustrate). In a situation like that, Kinect 2.0 will know that the command didn't originate from anyone near and could then safely ignore it. I do wonder if there would be an option to turn that off, however. As I'd want to be able to issue commands to it while in the kitchen or walking around or whatever.

Although I suppose it might be able to just recognize your voice, so after initially associating your voice with your account, then that voice would be authorized for offscreen voice commands.

Regards,
SB

Here is a video of what might be the same method.

We've discussed this before. Boxing is pretty much all I want. They give me a good boxing game, and I'm sold.

Besides the fact that it's only tracking at 30FPS this should be perfect for a boxing game now especially with the way it can measure your impact & show how much muscle you're putting into your swings.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know this heart rate thing for Kinect...
Not trying to sound racist or anything but, will this thing even work for people of African and Asian decent?

Because based on this qoute "By examining your face's skin color and transparency, the Kinect and Xbox One are able to estimate your current heart rate."

Would that truly work with everyone in the world?

Hmm... the new Kinect tech is really impressive. Out of curiousity, would the new Kinect work as a cheap MoCap alternative? Skeleton mapping seems to have improved a lot. I think indy devs would love that.

You know this heart rate thing for Kinect...
Not trying to sound racist or anything but, will this thing even work for people of African and Asian decent?

Because based on this qoute "By examining your face's skin color and transparency, the Kinect and Xbox One are able to estimate your current heart rate."

Would that truly work with everyone in the world?

They say yes

They say yes, because it uses infrared. Since they mentioned it specifically, they have probably tested it this time. ;) But as said, I have my doubts it works well at all yet - in the example, 60 seemed a little low for someone standing and being fairly excited.

The technology for reading heart rate using the refelctivity of the skin using a camera is pretty well established these days. First time I saw it was a Siggraph presentation a few years ago iirc.

Mobile phone cameras do a reasonable job of it now so kinect should stand a decent chance of doing a good job using a high quality camera with both colour and IR (plus a big chunk of computing power at the other end of the wire).

http://www.cardiio.com/

(heart rate of 60 does seem a bit low but if he was relatively fit and hadn't been doing much it's not unreasonable).

It just seemed to clean - there was no movement in the number, and it's typically the number that is considered the perfect 'rest' state. I'm not saying it is technically impossible, but just didn't seem to be properly working here. Face tracking and such though seemed very good and very instant.

Those types of apps have been available on iOS for awhile now...I have a few of them and used them to check my pulse.

Before that the norm was using apps that utilized the LED light and camera while you covered them with your finger.

It just seemed to clean - there was no movement in the number, and it's typically the number that is considered the perfect 'rest' state. I'm not saying it is technically impossible, but just didn't seem to be properly working here. Face tracking and such though seemed very good and very instant.
In the gametrailers video the heart rate measuring looks more precise, moving up and down ~68bpm.

That's quite impressive when you take into account that is with Kinect 1.0. It should be significantly better with Kinect 2.0.

Regards,
SB
I thought they were using Kinect 2, especially when you take into account the timing, but they aren't. Aside from that, your "significantly better with Kinect 2" claim is basically confirmed with this news. Kinect 2 is 10 times more capable than Kinect 1.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Xbox...re-Powerful-than-Xbox-360-Sensor-370551.shtml

Back