Kinect technology thread

Anybody knows about the cost of plenoptic cameras? How good vs. how expensive are the one's in the lytro for example? A kinect 2 with that would be an interesting propostion.

The future of controllers IMO is with devices like the PS MOVE and WiiMote mixed in with Virtual reality, devices like Kinect have no place in gaming and will never function properly as serious input devices. Its been 2 years since Kinect launched and we still haven't seen a single game which we can truthfully say is enhanced in any meaningful way with Kinect, let alone having games which can only be done with Kinect.

The future of controllers IMO is with devices like the PS MOVE and WiiMote mixed in with Virtual reality, devices like Kinect have no place in gaming and will never function properly as serious input devices. Its been 2 years since Kinect launched and we still haven't seen a single game which we can truthfully say is enhanced in any meaningful way with Kinect, let alone having games which can only be done with Kinect.

Dance/fitness games say hi.

I disagree, I think Kinect-like devices have a very bright future. But the next version a) needs to be faster and more precise, and b) work better in tandem with regular controllers or other peripherals. It would definitely benefit from a breakaway controller as well, I think.

I disagree, I think Kinect-like devices have a very bright future. But the next version a) needs to be faster and more precise, and b) work better in tandem with regular controllers or other peripherals. It would definitely benefit from a breakaway controller as well, I think.
Yup, I expect a very bright future for Kinect and the new camera Sony seems to be working on. It has some very interesting purposes, like let's say, in medicine. Some of them totally unexpected!! I can tell you from my own personal experience.

My sister in law has been diagnosed very recently with Ankylosing spondylitis and I am thinking about giving her my Kinect as a gift, to encourage her to be in shape -she is actually, has a slender figure and she looks very healthy -she is 30-, and she is also planning to go to pilates- without seeing it as an obligation because of her illness, more like having fun and exercising her body at the same time, and I think she will love the possibilities of Kinect, whatever option I can offer to help her is okay with me.

I am gonna miss the chat functions of Kinect though, as I couldn't use it to play games because my room lacks enough free space, and I loved being able to talk without having to wear a headset. It worked like a charm in that sense.

Very bright future...

Kinect sales are pretty much non existent at this point and some of Microsoft's internal studios have dropped Kinect support from future titles.

Even EPIC games tried to make a gears of war Kinect game, but it was so embarrassingly bad that they had to shelve the game. Kinect is a useless gimmick.

Alright, you have no evidence to back up your claims, so enough with your baseless anti-Kinect FUD.

Microsoft's new studio that is making that game which is supposed to be "the next halo" actually were originally making a Kinect game, but ended up dropping it, there was another studio that did the same, but I can't find the link at the moment.

CliffyB confirmed that they were making a Gears of War Kinect, but didn't show it off because they weren't happy with the quality of the title, which is code for "this game is horrible and we didn't want to embarrass are selves so we didn't show it off".

The reality is that Kinect is worthless as a serious input device, its nothing but a worthless gimmick that was used to push more 360 units to unaware casuals.

That's your opinion on the hardware, but the sales figures for Kinect titles directly contrasts your "Kinect sales are pretty much non existent at this point" statement.

As for Cliffy B and the cancelled rumored Gears Kinect game, that only speaks of Epic's inability to produce a quality game. It does not speak to the quality of the Kinect hardware or software. There have been multiple departures from Epic including Cliffy B, perhaps their hearts just weren't in it anymore to be able to make it. They already gave their next Gears title (Gears Judgement) to PeopleCanFly to make.

As for Microsoft's dropping of Kinect titles, they have confirmed they are producing more content for Kinect Sports 2 (DLC if you want to call it that) and it's practically a given there will be a Kinect Sports 3 title along with additional seasons of Sesame Street TV and National Geographic TV.

Face it, Kinect and the controller-less gaming is here to stay. It may not be for everyone, but it's not going away.

Microsoft's new studio that is making that game which is supposed to be "the next halo" actually were originally making a Kinect game, but ended up dropping it, there was another studio that did the same, but I can't find the link at the moment.

CliffyB confirmed that they were making a Gears of War Kinect, but didn't show it off because they weren't happy with the quality of the title, which is code for "this game is horrible and we didn't want to embarrass are selves so we didn't show it off".

The reality is that Kinect is worthless as a serious input device, its nothing but a worthless gimmick that was used to push more 360 units to unaware casuals.

I'd rather say there's a lot of happy casuals who enjoy the device a lot, and a vocal minority of hardcore gamers who misjudged the device to generally be precise enough to provide any serious gameplay depth when they bought it.

It won't take much to get Kinect to that place however. It's just a matter of finding out whether Microsoft is interested enough to spend the additional effort to get it there. I'm willing to bet though they are.

I'd rather say there's a lot of happy casuals who enjoy the device a lot, and a vocal minority of hardcore gamers who misjudged the device to generally be precise enough to provide any serious gameplay depth when they bought it.

True, yet I don't blame those hardcore gamers completely for it. They kind of paid for their naivety, but MS did promise some wild things for kinect, so there is a point to be made about a little bit of false advertising there too.

Kinect 2 looks great.

http://gizmodo.com/kinect-2-full-video-walkthrough-the-xbox-sees-you-like-509155673

Time of flight. IR camera view. Latency is supposed to be reduced around 2 frames at 30 fps. Watch the full Kinect demo that was given on the gizmodo link.

Yup it's hugely impressive. Since depth no longer requires any visual queue's that means less that can go wrong. Add in the custom SOC for Kinect and it should be significantly less error prone as that link points out.

I'm wondering how it's tracking heart rate? I wonder if the time of flight depth sensor is sensitive enough to see pulses on your skin representing the ebb and flow of blood. Or if it's something more coarse and estimating based on the movement of your chest in and out (how hard the person is breathing). If it's the latter I'm not sure how accurate it would be.

As well the ability of Kinect 2.0 to associate a persons voice with the actual person should remove the possibility of audio from the machine itself issuing commands (as the hilarious blog posts about Kinect 1.0 + live feed illustrate). In a situation like that, Kinect 2.0 will know that the command didn't originate from anyone near and could then safely ignore it. I do wonder if there would be an option to turn that off, however. As I'd want to be able to issue commands to it while in the kitchen or walking around or whatever.

Although I suppose it might be able to just recognize your voice, so after initially associating your voice with your account, then that voice would be authorized for offscreen voice commands.

Regards,
SB

They are using the IR camera to track temperature changes and bloodflow in your face. From that they can estimate your heart rate, I guess. How accurate that is, I have no idea. I'm sure they put a bunch of research into it.

They are using the IR camera to track temperature changes and bloodflow in your face. From that they can estimate your heart rate, I guess. How accurate that is, I have no idea. I'm sure they put a bunch of research into it.

Ah, totally space out about the IR camera, that makes a lot more sense then. Yes, it can be quite accurate. Similar things are being done to diagnose breast cancer, for example. Yes, not heartrate related, but body temperature and more importantly changing body (actually skin) temperature can tell quite a bit.

Regards,
SB

It's a known algorithm based on a research paper. There's even a free Android App doing it.
http://gizmodo.com/5994798/your-web-cam-can-see-your-heart-rate-which-isnt-creepy-at-all
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vitrox.facion.gui&hl=en

There you go then. Probably accurate enough for what MS wants to do with it. Not exactly doing medical diagnostics. For any of those fitness titles it'll probably do well enough.

Back